NTSC OR PAL?! (noob)

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
salemshady
Org Profile

NTSC OR PAL?! (noob)

Post by salemshady » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:01 pm

iam using cyberlink powerdirector 5 for my amv.. and well... everytime i put a video clip on my timeline.. powerdirector puts up a window that says this:
warning!
your project contains one or more video clips whose tv format (ntsc or pal) is different from your preference setting. powerdirector will convert the clip, but the resulting video quality may be degraded. it is highly recommended that you use only video clips with the same tv format in a project!

NOW heres my question:
1)no matter what preference i choose (i tried both pal and ntsc for the same video) on powerdirector, it still shows that message.. its as if my source video file has both formats in it which i am guessing is not possible

can i use virtualdub to convert the source file to one particular format? cause ive read the guide to using virtualdub but no mentions there
any suggestions?

2)ive used virtualdub to actually compress a clip from my video source.. but when i put that file on my timeline..its not smooth anymore!! it doesnt run smooth when i play it
suggestions?
thanks again

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:35 am

It may be that your source clips don't fit either standard.

NTSC: 29.97 frames per second, resolution of 720x480
PAL: 25 frames per second, resolution of 720x568

As for the second question, what codec did you use? And does it help to go over those clips frame by frame?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:43 am

Scintilla wrote:It may be that your source clips don't fit either standard.

NTSC: 29.97 frames per second, resolution of 720x480
PAL: 25 frames per second, resolution of 720x568

As for the second question, what codec did you use? And does it help to go over those clips frame by frame?
i have cccp, xvid and divx codecs on my computer i think!
and i understand the difference between ntsc and pal.. but i thought u could only have a video file in one format or the other... i didnt know a source video file could be of some other standard... now using virtualdubmode, can i convert my video clip to one of the formats?
thanks for the reply and all

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:36 am

Scintilla wrote:PAL: 25 frames per second, resolution of 720x568
It's slightly taller: 720 x 576
salemshady wrote: i have cccp, xvid and divx codecs on my computer i think!
The questions wasn't what codecs are installed at your computer. The question is: What codecs are the clips in? From what you are telling I can only say: Don't use DivX/XviD for editing! I suggest you should read EADFAG, especially, but not only, the Section about editable codecs

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:21 am

Keeper of Hellfire wrote:
Scintilla wrote:PAL: 25 frames per second, resolution of 720x568
It's slightly taller: 720 x 576
salemshady wrote: i have cccp, xvid and divx codecs on my computer i think!
The questions wasn't what codecs are installed at your computer. The question is: What codecs are the clips in? From what you are telling I can only say: Don't use DivX/XviD for editing! I suggest you should read EADFAG, especially, but not only, the Section about editable codecs
actually that is why i used huffyuv to compress my clips.. i thought that is how i thought i could get rid of the divx or xvid codecs from my clips!! but the format problem is still there.. plus the reason i used huffyuv is because i thought my previews of the project would be smoother than before but nothing's changed.

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:38 am

HuffYUV needs much processing power for playback, partly more than DivX/XviD, so don't expect smooth playback on a weak computer. But in opposite to DivX/XviD it allows stable editing (or, depending on the NLE, editing at all).

Check the properties (framerate, resolution) of your clips in VirtualDubMod and make your project settings the same.

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:39 am

actually i hate to start up new threads for my questions .. so i 'll just put it up here:
i could swear that earlier today i saw a link that taught us how to get around subtitles.. i think it was a sticky .. and now i cant find it.. can anyone tell me where that link is?
thanx again

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:43 am

Keeper of Hellfire wrote:HuffYUV needs much processing power for playback, partly more than DivX/XviD, so don't expect smooth playback on a weak computer. But in opposite to DivX/XviD it allows stable editing (or, depending on the NLE, editing at all).

Check the properties (framerate, resolution) of your clips in VirtualDubMod and make your project settings the same.

golly.. i thought it was the exact opposite.. that...huffyuv would make the previews smoother!! and i dont think a weak computer is my problem... the problem is i am a damn noob still!! thanks anyways.. i'll work on ur tip now... got all night

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”