howdy

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
salemshady
Org Profile

howdy

Post by salemshady » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:42 am

howdy ppl... i have a feeling this question is a little iffy as in i shouldnt be asking them.. but i am hoping the mods will let me go this time cause i am only a noob
so umm.. well ive been trying to make me an amv of my own and somehow i just cant get more than 15 clips on my timeline using cyberlink powerdirector or uleadvideo studio! i have a feeeling its because the avi files iam using hogs up a lot of ram cause its compressed or whatever! now i have 2 questions:
is there any way i can convert all my avi files into some iso file and make it work like a dvd and then got my clips from there so it didnt hog too much ram?
ok so my laptop has 1gb of ram and around 100 gb of space...i thought it was good to run a video editor smoothly... but cyberlink and ulead isnt doing the trick for me... can u guys point me to some similar programs that could run smoother??
thankx a lot

Moonie
Give me some candy!
Org Profile

Re: howdy

Post by Moonie » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:24 am

salemshady wrote:howdy ppl... i have a feeling this question is a little iffy as in i shouldnt be asking them.. but i am hoping the mods will let me go this time cause i am only a noob
so umm.. well ive been trying to make me an amv of my own and somehow i just cant get more than 15 clips on my timeline using cyberlink powerdirector or uleadvideo studio! i have a feeeling its because the avi files iam using hogs up a lot of ram cause its compressed or whatever! now i have 2 questions:
is there any way i can convert all my avi files into some iso file and make it work like a dvd and then got my clips from there so it didnt hog too much ram?
ok so my laptop has 1gb of ram and around 100 gb of space...i thought it was good to run a video editor smoothly... but cyberlink and ulead isnt doing the trick for me... can u guys point me to some similar programs that could run smoother??
thankx a lot
I think you should use another video editor and make sure your clips are not compressed in Xvid or Divx.
Here are some links to other editing software.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=61207
Some are free and some are very expensive.
The ones i recommend checking out are Vegas, Premier and Edit Studio
You can get trials of them.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Re: howdy

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:34 am

salemshady wrote:uleadvideo studio ... hogs up a lot of ram
>.>
<.<

i hate ulead...

BUT what you can try doing is to take your video and compress them with lagarith or huffy and see if that helps... they are lossless and very editable O.o as said before if they are XVID or DIVX that could explain crashes

run your clips through Virtualdub Mod (it comes in the AMV APP if you want to find it) and recompress them... that might help

I'd also take Moonie211's suggestion and looking into a new program...

most likely Magix, its the cheapest and probably easy to use... plus if you run into trouble you can get help for it..
same go for Premeire or Vegas but they are much more expensive... either way, both good to look into...

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:56 am

this belongs in the Software help section.... but until it gets there...

Ulead video studio is a lot like WMM (atleast it used to be back in my day)... with that being said i would also suggest getting something better... Premiere, Magix, Ulead MEDIA studio, Vegas... there are many more programs out there... Also... you say you can only do 15 clips, if your using the trial versions of these programs, make sure you read up on them to make sure you can add more then 15 clips... a quick way around this would be use 15 clips, export, import the file you exported, rinse, lather, repeat... i also agree that if your using xvid or divx encoded clips, the program wont like you very much, so you might want to convert them to huffyuv, Lagarith, or hell.. if your short on space *it dosnt look likt you are* then you can even convert them to Microsoft MPEG 4 v2 (not recommended though because you lose quality) Lets put it this way, you have a good enough computer *from what it sounds like although you didnt mention your processor* you could easilly make an amv.. I used to edit on a 733 mhz P3 with 128 megs of ram, and now i only edit on my laptop which has 512 megs of ram and is a 1.9 ghz, and as for space, you'll need that 100 gigs... *i have 40 gigs on my laptop, and its always full..* but yeah... best of luck with your editing, if you need to find cheap programs, look around on the internet, like ebay... best of luck on all of your editing

*if you need more help try posting in the amv software help section*

Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Infinity Squared » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:32 am

Hmm... Most of my videos listed on the org right now have been completed in CyberLink PowerDirector 4. I'm operating on a laptop with 256MB of RAM and 1.4GHz Intel Celeron processor, and I gotta tell you, I've never encountered much problems processing XviDs on PowerDirector. In fact, I find that when all else fails, PowerDirector can save the day by being able to open up files, short of frame serving them. I've created videos with over a hundred, more than likely more, clips on it and I definitely have not had much problem then.

However, I did eventually get a problem when I upgraded to PowerDirector 5. It still processes all kinds of videos with still many clips at a time, however it was just a bigger resource hog for my poor computer so I reverted back to version 4. I don't think that with your computer's specs, that you should be encountering problems with version 5, but I'd just like to point your direction to that little test that PowerDirector has about the default DMA. You might have messed up something with that...

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:12 pm

wow.. so many responses..thank you all so much for helping out! its the weekend and i have loads of time to figure ur responses out... i'll keep updating..
thank you again...

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:29 pm

Infinity Squared wrote:Hmm... Most of my videos listed on the org right now have been completed in CyberLink PowerDirector 4. I'm operating on a laptop with 256MB of RAM and 1.4GHz Intel Celeron processor, and I gotta tell you, I've never encountered much problems processing XviDs on PowerDirector. In fact, I find that when all else fails, PowerDirector can save the day by being able to open up files, short of frame serving them. I've created videos with over a hundred, more than likely more, clips on it and I definitely have not had much problem then.

However, I did eventually get a problem when I upgraded to PowerDirector 5. It still processes all kinds of videos with still many clips at a time, however it was just a bigger resource hog for my poor computer so I reverted back to version 4. I don't think that with your computer's specs, that you should be encountering problems with version 5, but I'd just like to point your direction to that little test that PowerDirector has about the default DMA. You might have messed up something with that...
alright.. so heres my configs for my laptop:
2g intel pentium m
1 g ram
100 gb hard disk.. essentially 88 gs
dont know much about the graphics card.. but if i can play rome total war on this laptop.. i am guessing its not too bad either
after my project started to slow down drastically after adding around more than 15-20 clips... i thought u just cant do amvs on a laptop.. but if you can do one with 256 ram.. then i think thats not the problem..
here is the message that shows up when i add a clip on my timeline:

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:41 pm

heres the message again.. i forgot to copy it:

Your project contains one or more video clips whse TV format )NTSC/PAL) is different from your preference setting. power director will convert the clip, but the resulting video quality may be degraded. it is highly recommended that you use only video clips with the smae tv format in a project!!

ok so thats the message there and i think either that the problem or my clips have xvid or divx stuff in it.

now MOONIE.. .i've tried vegas and premiere .. i grabbed a copy from one of my friends.. but they just look too complicated for my taste.. i found cyberlink powerdirector the easiet to work with... or atleast i have that software almost figured out..so i'd love to stick with powerdirector if i could.
now on to JAADZIADAX.. yeah i thought so too.. its the xvid or divx format thats hogging all my ram and stuff.. but ive never used virtualdubmod and those other softwares u mentioned.. actually i dont even know what they do except that they compress the files or whatever... jeez.. amvs are more complicated than i ever thought they are!
anyway.. i was thinking of sending you a private message or something to see if u could guide me through there

so thats that.. thank you everyone ... atleast now i know i need to do more research before i can get on the project

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:42 pm

and oh yeah.. i'lll see if i can find someone who has magix.. thanks

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”