Random Closes Premiere Pro 1.5

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:44 pm

you obviously have something wrong with your computer or something wrong elsewhere...

i was editing for 9 hours the other night with Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop open the whole time while also ripping, preping, and cutting out scenes from various sources...

Premiere works fine (at least 6.5 does)...

Pwolf

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:28 am

I see you have 2Gb of RAM, do you have SetMemoryMax at the top of your script? If not, try that.

For example:
SetMemoryMax(16)
xxxxSource(…)
etc.
Reason:
AVISynth has a long standing issue with memory buffer allocation and large amounts of physical RAM. It used to be quite an issue. In short, the more RAM you had the faster AVISynth would eat it up when using multiple instances of the program (which is the norm with the Premiere plug-in).

In Premiere 6.x this used to be called the "green screen" problem because that is what usually happened to the video when you ran out of memory – and of course it was random because a lot depended on what you had been doing and what was running on the machine.

I don’t know if the Premiere Pro plug-in is doing anything to avoid the problem (I haven’t looked) but this sounds a lot like that old problem.

The14thGOD
Org Profile

Post by The14thGOD » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:29 am

I think the problem only started recently, and the only thing I did was add some filters/transitions, but I uninstalled those to see if it worked, it doesnt seem to be crashing as often but still does once in a while.

I'll try the maxmemory thing, though I am done with the video now ^_^ But I'd I can still tweak some spots I think.

I could be wrong (havnt installed it in a long time) but doesnt amvapp come with ffdshow? Or isn't it needed to playback files..?

As for the track set to names I just started to do that actually as a test. I realzed anytime u switch sequences, or from the window to get ur clip and back to the track, it has to load those everytime, and sometimes takes some time depending on the number of clips u got (tends to be a lot =P) so I made it for track names only and that sped that up.

And so far...crosses fingers...it only crashes when it's being played back. Sometimes it crashes at the same spot, so I have to like not open premiere for a bit...so I was thinkin possibly a RAM problem?(I tried restarting b4 I started editing again from 2 nights so the RAM would be clear, but it still did it eventually.)

Thanks again for your help :)

The14thGOD
http://the14thgod.com
A man is only blind to the world, if he does not understand it.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:00 pm

The14thGOD wrote:I could be wrong (havnt installed it in a long time) but doesnt amvapp come with ffdshow? Or isn't it needed to playback files..?
I don't know if it's included in the AMVapp, since I never got AMVapp 2.0 or higher. But you don't need ffdshow for playback as long as you have all the codecs you need separately. It's just easier than trying to track everything down.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:12 pm

what are your project settings for video set to?

Pwolf

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:09 am

ffdshow does come with AMVapp 2.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

The14thGOD
Org Profile

Post by The14thGOD » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:27 am

Project Settings:

General:
Video For Windows
24fps
848x480
Square pixels
Progressive

Video Rendering:
Pic Video MJPEG
Millions of Colors
Optimize stills = checked

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Gepetto » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:19 pm

It doesn't have anything to do with the problem at hand, but uncheck "Optimize stills". It makes anything that doesn't move look weird.

And MJPEG isn't a good codec for exporting (although it's great for rendering). Use HuffYUV or Lagarith (unless you're using MJPEG lossless, in which case I wouldn't know because I've never used it).
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

The14thGOD
Org Profile

Post by The14thGOD » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:51 pm

Ya I know, that's just the settings for while in premiere. I'll uncheck that other option though and see how it looks.

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:08 pm

I don't think unchecking "Optimize Stills" will change anything, at least for me it dosen't.

Looking more into this, It seems to be more of a memory problem. For example, I had NO problems editing, rendering, or exporting the beta of my new video which uses old footage that is not currently filtered. But when I did the same for my newer and cleaned up Gunslinger Girl segment for a MEP, it died three times while trying to render. I seem to always have this problem with newer anime like GG, Madlax, or Kaleido Star.

If that helps with the troubleshooting going on.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”