DragonCon 2006 - Winners & Stuff

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Nimthiriel
Org Profile

Post by Nimthiriel » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:37 am

deuceloosely wrote:I was curious about DC's first AMV contest and wondered about the results.

I couoldn't help but notice:

Comedy: Channel Surf 2 by Bryan MS Minnix set to a mix of various music artists

Best of Show: Channel Surf 2 by Bryan MS Minnix set to a mix of various music artists

Is this the same vid which won best comedy at TekkoshoCon 4?
Yes, they are the same. We had a "Best of Show" category where we would basically judge which one we liked the best, etc, etc......It was a prom queen category. You could enter directly into that category or you could enter into another category which would qualify you for that category also. The rules specifically state you could win this category and one of the others. In addition to this, the rules allow for anyone to enter directly into "Best of Show" category only. We did have one person enter this way.

The more I think about it the more I realize that this category and the rules for this category need to be modified. I'll be working on modifying the rules over the next few months in order to make them simplier yet more direct. We will probably be posting the rules officially in Feb/Mar 2007.

We are hoping to have a larger room with a bigger time slot and with that we will have the opportunity to play more AMV's. There were some we were unable to play due to time constrictions and I do apologize to those people for that. I only hope that you will try again next year and as your talents increase you will be able to do better in the upcoming contests.

Thank you again to everyone who participated.

The question from "theliel" I am unable to answer. Only the creator will be able to answer that one.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:17 am

Nimthiriel:

Well, the focus of my question was about the same video winning for different conventions. I was kind of taught that once an AMV won a major category, it should be "retired" from competition to level the playing field.

Any thoughts on this?
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Nimthiriel
Org Profile

Post by Nimthiriel » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:22 pm

For this year the decision will have to stand but for next year there will be revisions. The "Best of Show" was suppose to judge which one the judges felt was the best technically as well as best when considering originality and which one they just liked the best. It was kind of of a "Prom Queen" category, for lack of a better description.

Like I said I'm going to revisit this category and see what we can do to improve upon the contest in general for next year.

Return to “AMV Contests”