Newbies: How to make your first AMV

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
AMVUserII
Org Profile

Post by AMVUserII » Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:57 pm

Well New ppl to AMVs

Read the Guides and the FAQs here and you'll be on your way.

-"We are the Next Generation in Anime Music Videos. We are Next Generation Films Inc."
-Next Generation Films Inc. (NGF)

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:13 pm

I had pentium 1, 200mhz with 64MB ram and still edited. I did 1/4 of Dragon Bebop Z after effect stuff on it before I got a new comp.

You can take naps during rendering time with that!
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

WillWorkForTrigun
Org Profile

money money money

Post by WillWorkForTrigun » Sat Aug 17, 2002 1:16 pm

so how much are capture cards?
"You cannot alter your fate, however you can rise to meet it if you choose..." - Mononoke Hime -

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:15 pm

Capture cards aren't that expensive. I've got an http://www.iomagic.com PC-PVR TV Tuner card, and it's fine. It has S-Video out, RCA in and Comp out (Dunno wtf that is...)

I got it for $50 from the I/O Magic store (Well, actually, my dad got it for me, but same difference..)

It's a pretty useful card, and the software it comes with (Cyberlink PowerVCR II 3.0) will capture into MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:11 pm

Don't worry, within 2 days the org will feel like home. Just don't go into teh Off Topic/Way Off topics area just yet. Posting anything there is likely to get tons of spam and useless flaming.

Anyhow, I'm sorta something of a newb too so don't feel like you are all alone in a big bad world. I signed up since July 2001 with another member name but I haven't started seriously to make anything other then play. This new ones for forum help.

My suggestion, as may have already been noted, is to play around with small clips first. Get the hang of cuting/pasting and adding new digital effects. Small clip files are easier to mess with and entirely more convient when you consider that some video's can take up to 30 gig's when you first try to make good ones.

Anyway, I read teh guides. They aren't hard to follow and I'm using them to help me mess around with some video/music combinations. I will hopefully have something out, but if not, well that's just life. I'm more into music so it might take me some time to make a video.

People might not like newb's taht much but new blood in teh Org is what keeps the Org alive and fresh, after all, when the senoir member's have gone on to another habby or are all dead due to a past history of spending some much time capturing and editing.

Wow....I didn't notice I was writing so much...anyway, good luck on your first vid when and if you make one.
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

MaxArtea
Org Profile

Source Footage

Post by MaxArtea » Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:14 pm

Hmmm, not sure if this was answered in the FAQs and stuff though I did read them. Anyway, the question is this:

Where do you go to find raw source footage for rare anime?

I'm thinking along the lines of stuff that hasn't been released yet, like Arjuna or Chobits or something.
bum bum bum...

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Re: Source Footage

Post by Kai Stromler » Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:55 pm

MaxArtea wrote: Where do you go to find raw source footage for rare anime?
Some have said that WinMX is useful for finding unsubbed recent anime, as it is the most popular p2p program in Japan. I have no direct experience with this, but unless your system has Japanese fonts enabled and you have some way of recognizing what you're getting, you're going to have to pick your way through a good bit of chaff.

There is also a guide on removing subs from fansubbed files by various methods. OmniStrata would have more experience with this, as he makes all his vids exclusively by this tactic.

The third way is to do what I do and just cut around the subtitles. Unless you are doing lipsynch there is no reason for mouths to be moving in your video anyway.

The last and easiest (if most expensive) option is just to import your source on physical media from Japan or another country where it is licensed. Though it may require modded or region free hardware and definitely involves spending time and postage, it's legal and reliable.

WRT your original post, Arjuna IS licensed, and Bandai is going to be releasing it shortly in R1, if they haven't started already. If you want to do a video using this series, just save your money and wait.

--K
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

Blood
Org Profile

Post by Blood » Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:44 am

Dear Everyone,

I know that you guys dont like newbies that ask stupid questions that can be found out by reading a simple tutorial, and after reading this thread I realized that the questions I want to ask are not suited for here. I am one of the many who wants to make an anime music video, with no clue how too. My point is that, although I read many manuals and tutorials about makine anime music videos many of my questions are unanswered. Time for me to instigate a flame war...I mean ask some questions.

1. I know that newbies to anime music videos were told not to ask this but, could anyone please e-mail me at xbluecarx@hotmail.com and tell me where or even the name of one or more music video makers. I know that you need a computer to make a good music video and I have one but dont know which programs to even start looking for.

2. If anyone is willing to put alot of time into helping me specifficly with technical questions and such please e-mail me at xbluecarx@hotmail.com

Well I hope those two questions are ok by you guys.

P.S. Does anyone have the music video of Evangelion with the song "Iris" by "The Goo Goo Dolls" anime music video that was showed at Otakon this year? I loved that but I dont know who made it, and cant get a copy.
"How come if you play tennis your considered normal but if you watch anime your considered a geek! Why!!!!!!! Tanaka, I swear that from this day on I will become the otaku of otaku. Otaking!"

--From Otaku No Video

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:26 am

Blood wrote:Dear Everyone,

I know that you guys dont like newbies that ask stupid questions that can be found out by reading a simple tutorial, and after reading this thread I realized that the questions I want to ask are not suited for here. I am one of the many who wants to make an anime music video, with no clue how too. My point is that, although I read many manuals and tutorials about makine anime music videos many of my questions are unanswered. Time for me to instigate a flame war...I mean ask some questions.

1. I know that newbies to anime music videos were told not to ask this but, could anyone please e-mail me at xbluecarx@hotmail.com and tell me where or even the name of one or more music video makers. I know that you need a computer to make a good music video and I have one but dont know which programs to even start looking for.

2. If anyone is willing to put alot of time into helping me specifficly with technical questions and such please e-mail me at xbluecarx@hotmail.com

Well I hope those two questions are ok by you guys.

P.S. Does anyone have the music video of Evangelion with the song "Iris" by "The Goo Goo Dolls" anime music video that was showed at Otakon this year? I loved that but I dont know who made it, and cant get a copy.
:wink: the ultimate answer to amv noobs (like me) just make your first amv. Nobody (but you) expects the thing to be perfect, just makes sence (and, unfortunately I admit, even the Linkin Ball Z vidz make SENCE... well most of em...). Suggestions and reviews of software (even links to free stuff) to use is in the guides... somewhere. I've found that 'pros' (least the ones I'v asked) don't like to repeat answers they put in the guides. you may get lucky though, good luck :twisted: .

Blood
Org Profile

Post by Blood » Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:39 pm

Um...that didnt answer either of my questions. Its not that I know how to make AMV's but I suck at them, It is that I dont know how to make them. Which programs to use and such.
"How come if you play tennis your considered normal but if you watch anime your considered a geek! Why!!!!!!! Tanaka, I swear that from this day on I will become the otaku of otaku. Otaking!"

--From Otaku No Video

Return to “General AMV”