Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

The Doom Project [Deimos]

Post by Orwell » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:46 pm

The Doom Project
Deimos

See second post for track listing and availability.

A project utilizing the non-profit OCRemix album called "The Dark Side of Phobos", a tribute to the Doom series.

The album can be found and downloaded here:
http://doom.ocremix.org/
The site gives the availability of downloading the entire album through a Bit Torrent program, or by downloading each song individually in MP3 format directly from the site.

Prodigi obtained permission for making a project to it, and I'm assuming that it extends past a couple regime changes.

Prodigi's guidelines were that horror be the main theme, though that was (and is) open to interpretation. I would like to encourage the use of two more elements, where appropriate:
-First, referencing the games within the video, whether simply in spirit or through the use of sprites, models, voice tracks and/or other materials from the games.
-Second, coordination between creators regarding the intros and outros to each track. Ideally, each track lead into the next track, giving the feel of a countinuous adventure.

Sprites can be found here: http://www.panelmonkey.org/category.php?id=1
Doom Legacy allows you to play the original wad files if you have them. If not and you wish to use them, contact me and we can work something out. Transitions between the tracks as well as the opening, ending, and intermission will probably feature content from the games, cover art from the album, or extra editing of either anime or original work. Inclusion of works from the series may be a ongoing part of the project right up to its release.

Guidelines

General:
1. I will make the video for which song I have chosen. I will NOT make somebody else’s video regardless of whether or not it may be better than theirs.
2. I will take criticism, as a part of this project's aim is to further AMV growth.
3. I will contact the Project Organizer with my idea/chosen anime. If already taken, pick another, and if it comes to it, you'll be assigned one.
4. I will use anime footage, if you wish to use other footage please contact me first.
5. I accept that at any given time my video may be removed from the project, though the likelihood of that happening is pretty slim.
6. I will inform the project leader on ANY issues that may prevent me from completing my track on time, or meeting any other deadlines.
7. I will do my damndest to finish my track.
8. [optional] I will have FUN for Christ’s sake.

Technical:
1a. Final copy encoded at 29.97 fps in mpeg-2 with a resolution of 720x480 including borders.
1b. mpeg2source("D:\my footage.d2v")
lanczosresize(720,360)
addborders(0,60,0,60)
1c. I prefer 29.97 but if you've already encoded to 23.976 with 3:2 pulldown I'll accept that, however please refer to 6.
1d. Pixel aspect ratio is .9 [I don't think this will be problem but just to clarify].
2. 15 FRAMES before and after your video of black video.
3. When adding your title card keep it within the title safe area.
4. I'd prefer to have the original songs at their full length, but creators can change the length of their chosen song if they so wish [nothing below 2 minutes though].
5. You will use DVD footage or as close as possible.
6. Save a master copy just in case troubles arise in joining it together or other problems. Burn it to a CD, raid another computer and hide it on there as a system file, just make sure that when my luck kicks in and I lose it or it becomes corrupted there is still hope.
7. The audio should be a wav converted from the FLAC file

Title:
Each video will have it's own title at the start. To create titles [and I hope you are editing with Premiere] go under the file menu > new > title. I would like the title information to be presented in the following order:

Song title

Remixer's name
Anime
Your Studio/Nickname

1. Use Arial as your font, with font size at 16. Keep opacity at 100%.
2. PLEASE USE THE TITLE SAFE AREA!!! Put your text in the bottom left corner of the inner square.
3. Use the title at the start of the video, have it fade in and leave it for a couple seconds and then fade it out.

Encoding:
If you need any help with getting the final copy into mpeg2 format try here:
http://www.nhmk.com/guides/mpeg2guide.html
Thanks to Fluxmeister for writing such an easy-to-use guide. I've also found Scintilla's guide to be useful if for some reason Fluxmeisters guide doesn't cover it.
http://www.tcnj.edu/~tomwol2/mpegforcons.html

What's going on now
I will continually update this section as the project continues so be sure to check back here every now and then.

The originator of the project, Prodigi, quit due to various reasons. Gestarwind21122 was a editor of the original project and after Prodigi left was temporarily coordinator, till he dropped out as well. I am now taking over, hopefully till the end.

Prodigi's guidelines were that horror be the main theme, though that was (and is) open to interpretation. I would like to encourage the use of two more elements, where appropriate:
-First, referencing the games within the video, whether simply in spirit or through the use of sprites, models, voice tracks and/or other materials from the games.
-Second, coordination between creators regarding the intros and outros to each track. Ideally, each track lead into the next track, giving the feel of a countinuous adventure.

Besides FreedomSotE, the tracklist is completely up-to-date. We have 4 definite openings, another potential one, and possibly if the intro, intermission, and final track plan doesn't work out, those too. Abuse peer pressure any way possible and get us more members!

The audio should be a wav converted from the flac file for best quality.

I've updated the deadlines, and shortly after that will update the track listing to include status. I'll probably contact you between now and the progress check just to see how your doing, try to get you on track if you don't post in the project thread on your own. Beyond that, I don't think there's much to include... Get to work!

If you have questions, somethings unclear, or if you want to talk about a specific aspect please post or PM me.

Deadline
Progress Check: September
Final Deadline: Summer '07
Last edited by Orwell on Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:47 pm

4+ Position(s) Open
06. Reprocessed
08. The Chemical Imps
SepirothX is willing to hold onto the track and at least make an effort if nobody comes along, but he has other projects to work on, so this track can be considered available.
09. Demon Con Gusto
10. This Can't Be Good

00. Welcome to Hell
01. Hangarmageddon (e1m1) Dagda GITS2
02. The Red Moon (e1m4) *inverse* Rayearth, X/1999, Tokyo Babylon
03. Industrial Strength (e1m2) AthenAltena ?hellsing ova
04. Mystery Meat (e2m9) Orwell Texhnolyze
05. The Leaning Tower of Babel (e2m8) _Ice-Angel_ Narutaru
06. Reprocessed (e1m6) Listen
07. Ghosts of Mars (e2m4) ChronoWraith Elfen Lied
08. The Chemical Imps (e1m3) SephirothX Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust Listen
09. Demon Con Gusto (e3m3) Listen
10. This Can't Be Good (e2m2) Listen
11. Jade Spawn (e2m7) SqiKy_kLeen Serial Experiments Lain
12. Intermission
13. Infiltrator (e2m1) supersayian313 [End of] Evangelion
14. Infected Lab (e1m7) OropherZero The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
15. Secrets and Lies (e1m9) Hitori Gantz
16. The Glass Moon (e1m8) CraktSmurf/Greek Prince Amon: The Apocalypse Of Devilman/Spawn
17. Ocean Pollen (e3m2) Kitsuner Memories: Magnetic Rose
18. Aria of the Damned (e2m6) teknoboy Twilight of the Dark Master
19. Iron Cathedral (e3m8) Castor Troy SiN
20. The Dark Side of Phobos (e1m5) TakefujiYami-sama Final Fantasy Advent Children
21. Darkness Dawning (Text Music) ?FreedomOfSotE? Hellsing
22. ElectroCute Bunny (The End)

celibi87 - Possible back up

When sending out the the PM's to the editors about their tracks, I'd accidently forgotten FreedomSotE, so I've given him until the 21st to respond to me, so there's currently 4 definite openings and another potential one as well.

The final decision on the opening, ending, and intermission has not been decided. These tracks may become open later on if other plans don't work out.
Last edited by Orwell on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:07 am, edited 14 times in total.
Latest
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

ChronoWraith
Org Profile

Post by ChronoWraith » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:57 pm

Long live Emperor Orwell!
Long live the Doom Project!
<----Place Holder---->

teknoboy
Org Profile

Post by teknoboy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:01 pm

so do I still have my track or do I have to apply again?

also thanks for picking this project up and keeping it going...

I've had an amv block recently and can't get anywhere with my track... hopefully that will end soon and I can get some decent work done... that is if I still have it of course.
^_^

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:23 pm

teknoboy wrote:so do I still have my track or do I have to apply again?

also thanks for picking this project up and keeping it going...

I've had an amv block recently and can't get anywhere with my track... hopefully that will end soon and I can get some decent work done... that is if I still have it of course.
I can try to pick up my track again if we don't have the July 10 deadline which I know I can't make now. :?

Believe me, speaking as former coordinator, people will NOT get done by July 10.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

*inverse*
Org Profile

Re: The Doom Project [Deimos]

Post by *inverse* » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:55 pm

Orwell wrote:Originally Prodigi suggested that horror be the main theme, though that was open to interpretation. I would prefer to tie the games into the actual video, whether through just in spirit, or through use of the sprites, models, voice tracks and other material from the games.
My track doesn't tie in with the games at all.

I used "The Red Moon" and I tried to interpret the "Earth" as the theme (or as the red moon itself). I still went for horror and all, but it probably won't come across as "dark and twisted" like some of the other tracks. I actually have no idea what the games are, so I doubt I could have included references in the first place.

Either way, my track is complete, and I have no intention of re-doing it :?

supersayian313
Org Profile

Post by supersayian313 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:45 pm

although i didnt use game footage or sprites, i think my track flows with the theme of the project. my track is pretty much finished at this point. i really dont plan to do much more to it. thanks for picking up the project.

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:50 pm

teknoboy - Unless somebody signed up, edited to it, and is currently active, then you can pick it up again, no problem. I'm still in the processing of figuring out who's doing what as seen by the second post. If by chance someone did, then I'm gonna have to ask you to do another track, it doesn't seem fair to the other person.

teknoboy, just as a suggestion, I found that when I had a editors block it helped to just throw what-the-hell-ever came to mind on the timeline, and nitpicks be damned. I don't think I would have finished Meate Tea Party otherwise.

As a note to others, if creative inspiration takes you elsewhere, I don't mind if you edit it, there's no real hurry. Just try to get a small edit in every time you go to edit the other video. I'd like to see the project finished around this time next year.

Castor Troy - I really don't expect people to, the project that was to be done in 24 hours took several weeks.

*inverse* - I haven't seen your track, could you post/pm it to me? The theme thing is more of a suggestion as I know many aren't done, though I want to keep the genre to horror/action. If you [whoever happens to be reading this] have a different idea though, talk to me about it and maybe something can be worked out. Asking people to redo their track to my vision would easily alienate too many people.

supersayian313 - I've got a mostly full copy of your track the only thing that needs fixed is the interlacing in the version I have. If you've made some changes that merit it send me another beta. It doesn't need the be the high quality mpeg2, just something to let me see what you've done. If any quality problems arise during that just mention it while sending your track. Obviously a LQ video won't look as nice as it will be, I hope.

Everyone - Besides Dagda and supersayian313 I don't think I've seen anyone's beta, or else forgotten them. Unless there are any serious objections, I'm gonna set the 1st of July as a deadline for a beta or in the most minimal situation, a concept of some sort. I'd like to know what you have planned out and see any video, or a case like mine audio work. Even if you have a beta I'd still like to hear what you have planned unless your far enough along that it shows itself clearly what its about and where its going. If your completely finished, and your very confident in the quality of it, then send it along, either through a file sharing site like yousendit or rapidshare, or AIM. For those not done, do you have any suggestions as a deadline for the next beta? I'd rather wait on people to finish than have them drop out due to constraints.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the next deadline they think they can meet?

I'll have a initial track listing up by tomorrow, possibly tonight. To those who are interested in joining up, post here and I'll get back to you once I figure out who's still active, what tracks need filled, etc. To those who originally signed up, please post or PM to let me know your still active with responses to my initial questions and hopefully a beta/concept. If you have originally signed up and don't respond in some form by the beta deadline then I will consider you dropped.
Latest

Takefuji
Org Profile

Post by Takefuji » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:07 am

Hmm . . . my track's kinda not that Doom-gamey either :? The track I used was The Dark Side of Phobos. I did my best to keep it as dark and "doomy" as possible.

And, well . . . Sephy, dark side . . . I think it works.

But after saving a lossless backup vid, I lost the project file, so there really won't be any changes to the track. If it doesn't fit project requirements, no biggie.

Ooh, this means I should probably upload my track for you to check it out.

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:10 am

I'd like to clarify that they are just recommendations, not absolute requirements. They might have been if I had started the project, but for as long as it is, that isn't reasonable.
Latest

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”