Fanime AMV contest results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Mon May 29, 2006 3:01 pm

Nydyne wrote: Presentation was excellent scott. Best it has ever been. The 24 theme was very well done and everything went very smooth, something you don't expect from an AMV contest. From a technical standpoint, the only problem i saw with the contest was the sound quality. That was quite minimal though.
This was my first time visiting fanime, so I was eager to compare this competition to other cons (coughcoughAXcoughcough).

The competition had some very strong points and some weak points, from a execution standpoint. On the good side for starters, it began on time. WOW. The 24 theme was pretty slick too. You'll never see AX doing that simply because they'd get their ass slapped. One of the perks of being under the radar for fanime I guess.

Weak points was definitely sound quality. I initially chalked it up to bad accoustics in the auditorium, but there was a rumor that the audio equipment was in poor shape. I'm still more apt to chalk it to acoustics because even some of AX's contests sounded like that, and they get very good equipment. Acoustics is pretty much beyond control unless you're in a concert hall. As I mentioned at the pre-awards panel (thanks for the invite, Brad! ^_^) that is one of the things people should factor for when making their AMVs.

A point that irked me that was within control was the fact that the slates at the start of each video listed the complete info. Creator, videos used, music used, and AMV title. That stuff should be saved for the end of the video so as not to skew the audience, and the first slate should just have AMV title. As PWolf complained in his blog, people would cheer for videos before they even played, or jeer certain videos based on what footage they used. Not cool. I gave my suggestion to the coordinator, so perhaps he'll think it over for next year.

While I still feel there's been a decline in creativity over the past few years, there were quite a few good videos in the contest. There were two videos that I voted for that didn't win anything--Rain, and It's a Deadman's Party--and I just wanted to give a shout out to them to say good work. Drama category was a tough vote for me, so I'll give props to "Always" as well, which did win. Creative blending of manga and anime in there.

I also want to give a special shout to "Hold me Now." When I saw that AMV, all I could say was "WOW." I was just blown away by it, and I truly hope to see it at a convention big screen again because you've got a well deserved Best of Show coming to you somewhere. You missed Fanime's by ~25 votes, in case you hadn't heard.

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Mon May 29, 2006 3:42 pm

@scott: Yup the 24 theme was excellent with good execution.
I believe xstylus says it all. Sound could've been better. But it also could've been the video. People using 128-160 mp3 bitrates in there videos. in a room like that, you probably can tell the sound quality difference between someone who used a mp3 and/or a pure form wav. I duno, but yeah.

xstylus made a good point. I noticed AX did this correctly. They only give out the title of the AMV and then they show it, and then at the end they give the creator the artist the song and blah. This should fix the pre-judging by people who dont wanna see 'another' Naturo, FF:AC, One Piece and/or Bleach video.
I for one confess and will say that i am really really tired of seeing videos that have those over done series in them, but i was surprised that this years Naruto drama video was actually quite good and i could enjoy it.

*is it me or is FanimeCon's Forum broken...-_- i've sent in a user registration account and its been 48 hours and no response for authorization"
Image Image

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon May 29, 2006 3:44 pm

Nydyne wrote: Presentation was excellent scott. Best it has ever been. The 24 theme was very well done and everything went very smooth, something you don't expect from an AMV contest. From a technical standpoint, the only problem i saw with the contest was the sound quality. That was quite minimal though.
x2

xstylus wrote:I also want to give a special shout to "Hold me Now." When I saw that AMV, all I could say was "WOW." I was just blown away by it, and I truly hope to see it at a convention big screen again because you've got a well deserved Best of Show coming to you somewhere. You missed Fanime's by ~25 votes, in case you hadn't heard.
definatly. I think everyone i was with said they were blown away by it. The video did get best of show at anime boston over the weekend as well.

Pwolf

Kumagarou
Org Profile

Post by Kumagarou » Mon May 29, 2006 7:30 pm

Awesome-ness. Didn't think my video would win, so yay. :3 Wish I could have been there to see the contest, but my sister was getting married. Congrats to the rest of the winners.

ps-The link to my video is in my sig or you can go to my profile. Whatever works.
*Skittles*
Good Luck Studios
Most Recent Vid: Always

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Mon May 29, 2006 10:29 pm

xstylus wrote:I also want to give a special shout to "Hold me Now." When I saw that AMV, all I could say was "WOW." I was just blown away by it, and I truly hope to see it at a convention big screen again because you've got a well deserved Best of Show coming to you somewhere. You missed Fanime's by ~25 votes, in case you hadn't heard.
You've seen her work before: Judges Award at AX last year, AmTV Award at AX in 2004. Not to mention sharing the Masters at AWA last year.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Tue May 30, 2006 3:49 am

TaranT wrote:You've seen her work before: Judges Award at AX last year, AmTV Award at AX in 2004. Not to mention sharing the Masters at AWA last year.
I didn't get to see hardly anything from AX2005 since I was busy doing staffy stuff, and AX2004 is a hazy daze to me. I'll look up some of her work though.

Heh. Going to Fanime was the first time since AX98 that I went to a con and wasn't working at that con in a staffer or volunteer capacity. It was an interesting experience for me. ^^;;;

Sephiroth
Org Profile

Post by Sephiroth » Tue May 30, 2006 5:19 am

Out of curiousity how was it''s deadmans party' received by the audiance? Id like o have made fanime but got collage classes to worry about.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Tue May 30, 2006 5:28 am

Sephiroth wrote:Out of curiousity how was it''s deadmans party' received by the audiance? Id like o have made fanime but got collage classes to worry about.
they liked it... that or they liked the anime (which seemed like a lot of videos only got good reactions because of the source). but i'd say it had a good reaction.

Pwolf

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Tue May 30, 2006 11:20 am

Congrats to the winners.

I should put up the version of Waiting for Tomorrows that was shown at the contest...but I'm lazy. (shrugs) Besides they are rather the same, only a few scenes different.

Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

BunofGovt
Org Profile

Post by BunofGovt » Tue May 30, 2006 7:05 pm

I made the finals Yay! Couldn't make the amv showing, unfortunately but caught the awards show on Sunday (yeah, give another vote to Pwolf for the intro and disclaimer!). Congrats to all!
Brakus wrote:Hmmm. I received the AMV badges in the mail (even though I couldn't attend -- they still haven't invented anything where you can be in two places at once) but I noticed my video ("Watch Out It's Desert Punk") didn't make the cut.

I really don't want to sound like I'm whining, but if you went through all the trouble to make special badges for the AMV contest, shouldn't that in itself have indicated that you did make the final cut? If not, then I should have been told outright one way or another whether or not I made the cut before the convention.
I received an email notifying me I was in the finals about a week or so before the con. I thought Scott notified all the finalists? This was my first time making the finals so I'm not sure how we got notified.
"Didn't I say something clever earlier?"
"Dunno, I was probably asleep when you said it."

Return to “AMV Contests”