Question for the noobie (about animating cut outs and other)

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
milkmandan
Org Profile

Question for the noobie (about animating cut outs and other)

Post by milkmandan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:39 am

this question is probably very noob and asked a lot, but i dont know what words to use in the forum search so that it will give me the right results.

I want to learn how to cut out character, while he/shes moving.

Here is an example.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=63712
watch this AMV by Piano.

In the beginning where you see the girl in red turn facing you...the background is a separate video, and the girl is cut out. I've learned how to cut out a single frame and place it over a video, thats no problem. But in this video the girl moves.

So how did he do it? I've seen this a lot in many AMVs. it seems easy, but i just dont know how to do it.
Image Image

CHAMELEON_D_H
Org Profile

Post by CHAMELEON_D_H » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:23 am

Its just like taking over the world, one frame at a time. :P
Before asking, THINK!!! Have you read The Guides, consulted The Wiki and watched The Corn?

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:10 am

i highly doubt the specific way he did it is one frame at a time.

he did use a huge amount of after effects, i was wondering if it could be done in Adobe Premiere Pro, at ALL?
Image Image

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:11 am

if there is absolutly no way of doing it in Adobe Premiere.

how do you do it in Adobe After Effects?
Image Image

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:16 am

Animating a mask is doable in After Effects. But I don't use After Effects so I can't tell you how. In Premiere Pro you'd have to make a image series to use as a track matte to achieve the same result (in other words, frame by frame). After Effects has a drawable mask that you can move from frame to frame. It's almost the same as doing each frame by hand but having the mask from the previous frame saves a little time. Also, I believe After Effects has one of those Magic Wand looking tools like Photoshop that tries to cut out a contiguous image by cutting around what it thinks is the edge of it. It's a big timesaver but it doesn't work for everything.
Life's short.
eBayhard.

Xarathion
Org Profile

Post by Xarathion » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:43 am

Vegas can do it the long way as well. When you go into the Pan setting for a particular clip, you can check the "Mask" box at the bottom of the window and then click points all around the character you want to cut out. Unfortunately, if the character moves and leaves the mask you created, you have to do it all over again.

It also can be a little sloppier in the presentation since it doesn't work like an image editor and doesn't attempt to automatically find an edge or line when you place a point.

If you do try it in Vegas though, especially for other people that might be reading this, don't try to move a point after you have placed it. It does this weird vector thing that is really hard to work with that can screw up your mask if you're not careful.

CHAMELEON_D_H
Org Profile

Post by CHAMELEON_D_H » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:20 am

As far as I know, the only way to make this in premiere is via track matte, and its ithe gonna get you very bad results, or take you longer to make one frame than in photoshop. AE on the other hand is a diffrent story. using the pen tool you can draw what you want to cut out, and modify it in the next frame, if needed. that will save you time, but unless there's no motion, it's still frame to frame work.
Before asking, THINK!!! Have you read The Guides, consulted The Wiki and watched The Corn?

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:12 pm

ok , so doing it frame by frame, seems like the only way for something to turn out nice..
so AE has the ability with the pen feature..honestly, that seems MUCH faster than taking each frame into photoshop, cutting out what you need then re-exporting.

but since i am not yet to that level of AE, for doing this frame by frame in Premiere Pro, i basically need to export what i want out in a series of bmps and then take it into Photoshop/Fireworks and cut it up, am I right? and then reimport the series back into APP and then just place each picture in order.

If i designate my in and out points, how can i make APP export a series of frames, instead of just one? I'd hate to do it one by one. ;)

thanks for all your help guys~
Image Image

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:27 pm

sorry for the double post..

i guess the cheapest way to do it, is to find footage where the character and the background, contrast A LOT. but i'll need to rewatch Rozen Maiden to be sure of this.
Thats the only logical explanation for so many PERFECT cut outs.

If you can, watch the Rozen Maiden AMV I posted in the first post and explain to me exactly how the guy did the effect at 00:44 - 00:47 (minutes:seconds).

There is a mask around the book (which moves, but its only like 3-4 frames), i see, no problem, can be done. But then Shinku's face is acting as ANOTHER mask, and IT's MOVING AS WELL.

Its almost as if this person was able to use some kind of magic wand tool to just mask a characters face out.
Image Image

gangstaj8
Org Profile

Post by gangstaj8 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:51 pm

FYI, check out this post. NoGrey mentions using a tool called the Title Editor in Premiere. Haven't played around with it myself, but you might want to atleast look into it.

I do all my stuff frame-by-frame in Photoshop, then use the green-screen technique. Ahh, takes me back to the good old days of those green, eye-killer computer monitors...
The Golden Rule of AMV's: "Render unto others as you would have them Render unto you."

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”