Want to enter some contests, pretty much clueless.

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
-Cye-
Org Profile

Want to enter some contests, pretty much clueless.

Post by -Cye- » Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:12 am

Could anyone give me just the basics for the contest scene? What contests are the best to enter? What is the best way to keep track of upcoming contests? I don't know if anyone will accept my vids either, i just do them in huffyuv and then convert them to mpg using tmpgenc with normal settings.

I just started out making vids and finished my first one, I would like to submit it to as many contests as possible and see what kind of response i get. If anyone would like to see the video you can message me on aim Holy Conspirator is my name and ill send it to you. I'm just kind of confused with all this stuff that i have no idea about. :/

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:15 am

If you click the contests link from the main page it will list many upcoming contests. If you go to the sites of the contest you want to enter, they should have rules and stuff about how to enter.
The best contest is AWA... which you just missed :p

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:32 am

I am going to answer your questions out of order to make it easier on my train of thought :o Hope you don't mind

What is the best way to keep track of upcoming contests?

If you mean contest as in online AND convention types, just use your a-m-v.org account to it's highest potential. Go to your user profile (on the main site) and click contests. They are sorted by date and there is a large variety. Once you get into the game for about a year you'll know what is coming just by watching what people are chatting about here in the forums. Yes, the forums actually are used for talking about amvs .....sometimes :roll:

What contests are the best to enter?
For conventions, it's best to only enter ones you can attend. It gives you an opportunity to see your work on the big screen and get a public reaction to it. Some conventions also prefer only people who can attend to enter them. Obviously, online contests are excluded from this rule :lol:

In addition to being a nerve racking ego boosting experience to see your amv play on the BIG screen :D you may win some award and of course you will want to be there if that happens.

Could anyone give me just the basics for the contest scene?

The best thing is to follow the con rules first and foremost. They will tell you what file types, content and lengths they will accept. Some cons have rules about sexual, excessive violence, or cursing. This can get a perfectly good amv excluded, but if the riules aren't followed, the creator only has theirselves to blame. Rules have been known to change after submission...but it's rare.

The other thing is to think about originality. If you want your video to stand out, try to do something you either haven't seen done or something you really feel you want to make. You can try and make videos aimed to win, but most of the time those types of videos turn out badly. It's best to make something because you want to make it...the video wil turn out the better for it. In fact, making something orginal opposed to a sell out make sit more likely you may win something in the end :wink: People appreciate it, believe me.

I don't know if anyone will accept my vids either, i just do them in huffyuv and then convert them to mpg using tmpgenc with normal settings.

Again, contests often have preferred file types. A lot of larger cons prefer MPEG-2 with a specified resolution. You may find you need to render several sizes and ratios if you really want to submit.

As for creative advice...I can't really give you any. Just make what you want to no matter what anyone else thinks about it. There are a lot of eva, dbz, and trigun amvs out there for example but everything hasn't been done either. People DO like to see new anime and hear new songs though...but make it for yourself first :) If you like it, chances are other people will to ^_^

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:08 pm

Use a-m-v.org and the actual con website in order to keep track of them, that's how I do it. In regards of the best con to enter, I'd have to say AWA, AWA has the most c atagories and in my opinion is the most fair contest. I've entered in a good few contests and I've found that Awa is the best one of them.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

CArnesen
Org Profile

Post by CArnesen » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:36 pm

Zarxrax wrote:The best contest is AWA... which you just missed :p
---Shameless Self Promotion---

But the second best contest is coming right up! Sakura-Con 2003 AMV/OVA contest it going to be this April, check out the details at the Sakura-Con 2003 Website!

---End Shameless Self Promotion---

Have a nice day...
--Chris ^_^

Return to “AMV Contests”