The 2006 VCAs Begin

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

The 2006 VCAs Begin

Post by Phade » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:16 pm

Hey All,

Well, it’s that time of year again: The 2006 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers Choice Awards have begun.

I’m sorry for the delay in getting it up and running. Since we were switching main servers, the site code structure was also changing. I didn’t want to create the pages for the old structure just to have to turn around and fit them for the new structure. But now that Derobert has the new server up and running just fine, we can get on with things. ^_^

The rules for this year are nearly identical to last year’s with no significant changes (yet). If anyone has any objections/suggestions to the rules, now is the time to speak up while we’re still in “suggest category” mode.

I did a preliminary sweep of how many videos are dis/qualified and come up with these numbers:

videos disqualified for blank anime: 3498
videos disqualified for ambiguous anime: 112
videos disqualified for blank music: 4148
videos disqualified for ambiguous music: 712
videos disqualified for all non-anime video entry: 189
videos disqualified for no indication of all videos in catalog: 11958
videos qualified: 6048

The number of qualified videos is already greater than previous years:

2002 -- 1049
2003 -- 1505
2004 -- 2452
2005 -- 4760
2006 -- 6048

Of course, the 2006 number are very preliminary since you still have the opportunity to fix your video entries to become qualified.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE “ALL VIDEOS IN CATALOG” INDICATION IS VERY IMPORTANT! This indication can act as an “opt out” switch for those members who do not want their videos to participate in this year’s VCAs. However, it is highly encouraged that all videos participate. Be sure to check your list of qualifying videos to see if there are any other problems with your video entries.

The schedule of events is very similar to last year. One notable difference is that there are three weeks to get first-round nominations in since there are so many potential entries this year. This first round is very important since only videos that get past the first round will have a chance to get to the final round. Getting several thousand videos down to groups of 20 is a large undertaking.

The VCA Shameless Promotions 2006 forum is now in full swing. Please be sure to promote videos other than your own. (You can still promote your own video there too.) Having everyone check out new videos they may have missed is what needs to happen.

There will be prizes again this year. Good prizes. Juicy prizes. (Yes, I know I still haven’t sent out the prizes from last year, but I promise promise promise to send them out with this year’s batch. ^_^ ) I will have the list of potential prizes available sometime next week (I hope).

For now, check your video entries and start pimpin’ vids. Good luck to everyone and have fun!!

Phade.

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Would it be a good idea to make sticky threads of all the catagories that's already "not yet" rejected? More likely they'll be accepted in the long run. :roll:
ImageImage

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:39 pm

Hey angelx03,

That list is already at the bottom of the category suggestion page.

Phade.

AquaSky
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by AquaSky » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:39 pm

I recall this being brought up last year, but will the MEPs be in a seperate category this year ? Many good single-editor videos are no match for the uber-projects with ten or twenty good editors involved. It really hasn't been as big of an issue in years past, but I really feel that it should be addressed this year.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:47 pm

Hey IcyCloud,

Yes. Since we now have the ability to track videos that had multiple editors (unlike last year), there will be a MEP category. The MEP videos won't be eligible for prizes since there are many editors for the video. I am also still debating if MEPs can be eligible for other categories or not, such as Video of the Year (I'm leaning towards "no").

Phade.

seabird
Org Profile

Post by seabird » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:43 pm

'Members must not have any completely "non-anime" video entries. Members who have created a catalog entry where all of the "anime" listed is actually "non-anime", that member will have all of their videos disqualified from this year's contest and will not be able to participate in this year's contest (nominations, voting, etc.). Members may "come clean" and be allowed to participate in this year's contest by using the delete form to remove incorrect video entries. '

I'm pretty sure when I entered in my FF7: Advent Children amv that it was considered non-anime. Does this mean that anyone who has made an AC video cant enter one of their other videos into the contest? There are tons of AC videos made so far, more than the 189 disqualified that you wrote up there. I'm a little confused.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:51 pm

Hiro_Kara wrote:I'm pretty sure when I entered in my FF7: Advent Children amv that it was considered non-anime. Does this mean that anyone who has made an AC video cant enter one of their other videos into the contest? There are tons of AC videos made so far, more than the 189 disqualified that you wrote up there. I'm a little confused.
Don't sweat it. It's been fixed since then.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:58 pm

Hey,

Prize page updated. Something is better than nothing... ^_^

Phade.

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:01 am

Wow, ADV really got to you, huh? Those prizes look pretty sweet! :D
ImageImage

[Mike of the Desert]
Location: Earth -> Europe -> Italy -> Rome -> Cerveteri -> Sasso -> Home -> Mike's Room
Org Profile

Post by [Mike of the Desert] » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:21 am

Hey Phade,

This is the first year I would like to enter into the VCAs, but I updated only now my profile checking the "All my videos are in the catalog". Is there any problem or now I'm qualified?
ImageImage

Return to “Site Announcements”