Some Videos No Longer Available [Follow-up]

LoCInuyasha
Org Profile

People, Phade is right...

Post by LoCInuyasha » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:28 pm

They didn't do this out of greed or cruelty at all. Copyright laws are copyright laws, and, what some of you may not be aware, the Record Companies are currently in actual DANGER.. Canada recently passed laws making it legal to pirate any music, only to not distribute it.. And we're not talking about fan works like AMVs here, we're referring to the whole deal...

If you guys really WANT to see action... Do write the record company that did this (I already forgot the name), but in a NICE AND POLITE WAY.. Explain that you have purchased their works and wish to use them for a fan tribute, and share them in a way that will lead to more sales on their part..

It'll take a WHOLE LOT LESS people nicely asking this to get action than it would people boycotting....

--LoCInuyasha

echo104b
Org Profile

Post by echo104b » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:06 pm

Zig-zag wrote:*puts copyright on my AMVs*

And if anyone thinks I'm serious... I laugh at you.
if you read the Laws for Copywrite, it reads that Once you create something, be it an item or idea, that Thing becomes copywrite to you.

So technically, you already have copywrite to them.

What Wind Up records did was revoke your ability to use their idea as a part of your idea.

So without their Idea, your idea is no longer under protection because it isnt complete anymore.

so, now that the video is no longer copywrite to you, you can no longer distribute it as yours. and Thusly it must be removed.

At least thats how i think it works.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:14 pm

Phade,

In the first thread you said if the catalog entry for an affected AMV remained a catalog entry, it was okay, unless the video was on our own webspace.

Does this mean that the record-holders will potentially go through the list and contact the webhosts of the creators, like the example of greenjinji, and give us C&Ds also(assuming they're extremely thorough with their C&Ds)?

And also, has the same action been taken with animemusicvideos.com?
And could the action ever be applicable to amv.com?

Thanks in advance.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:33 pm

badmartialarts wrote:THIS ORG JUST WONT HEAL
THE PAIN IS MUCH TOO REAL
THERE'S JUST SOME VIDS THAT PHADE CANNOT ERASE...
lmao :lol:

yuppa
Org Profile

Post by yuppa » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:53 pm

ok^^ i think you guys should know.. That MEGATOKYO is talking about this. and are basically saying stuff that the companies are right. I dont agree with it personally. its just basically "fan made" tributes to th esongs and the anime they love. Ah well.. phade ya could just change the name of the site, everytime a sumons comes up so its wrong every time. eventually changing its name will wear on their nerves and say screw it.

Oh heres the link of the topic here....

http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?s ... try4015579
END OF LINE
Once king of noobs...now king nothing!!

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:08 pm

yuppa wrote:ok^^ i think you guys should know.. That MEGATOKYO is talking about this. and are basically saying stuff that the companies are right.
Good for them. Megatokyo is the sort of place that I'd expect to stop at the legal reality of things and say "oh well, they must be right."
everytime a sumons comes up so its wrong every time. eventually changing its name will wear on their nerves and say screw it.
No. If necessary, everyone involved will just be heavily fined for willful copyright infringement. That works in the United States, at least.

yuppa
Org Profile

Post by yuppa » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:13 pm

I just thought fo a solution!! get a server that is not in the united states. Move them to canada where its legal. then say screw em. simple eh? Anime jedi would prolly take care of it if Phade set that up with him. Or someone else could do it.
END OF LINE
Once king of noobs...now king nothing!!

Nestor
Org Profile

Post by Nestor » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:25 pm

yuppa wrote:ok^^ i think you guys should know.. That MEGATOKYO is talking about this. and are basically saying stuff that the companies are right. I dont agree with it personally. its just basically "fan made" tributes to th esongs and the anime they love. Ah well.. phade ya could just change the name of the site, everytime a sumons comes up so its wrong every time. eventually changing its name will wear on their nerves and say screw it.

Oh heres the link of the topic here....

http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?s ... try4015579
You're right. We're talking about it. And you know what? The company IS right to excersize that choice. regardless of the circumstances, it IS distribution of their music without profit. Is it so hard to believe that they have a right to say 'no' when their music is expressed in a way they're not comfortable with? :roll:

Or is this another angsty bleeding heart 'anti-big business' (OMFGLMAO TEH RIAA AND MPAA ARE TEH SUXXORZ) hate parade? :roll:

Face the music. Phade did what was right and he did it appropriately. I for one applaud his descisiveness, tact, and ability to adroitly address the situation. he has, by all rights and accounts, handled it maturely. Read the first post he made in the previous thread.
Phade wrote:t has been an exceptionally stressful 24 hours to say the least. Please read this entire message slowly and carefully, pausing for stress breaks if needed. As a much needed spoiler: You are OK and the Org is mostly OK.
Everything is just fine. God's in his heaven and all's well with the world.

Will this snowball into an escalated issue? Likely not. Even if it DID, you could always turn to unliscensed musicians. Not that hard to do. There are websites out there dedicated to distribution of unliscensed and unrecognized artists and their music. Simply because it comes from a pre-approved record label does not mean that it has to be used. seriously. Get a grip on yourselves.

Or, as a fellow Megatokyo compadre would say, "LOL INTERNET".

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:32 pm

Nestor wrote: Or is this another angsty bleeding heart 'anti-big business' (OMFGLMAO TEH RIAA AND MPAA ARE TEH SUXXORZ) hate parade? :roll:
Yes. Minus the angst, plus stop-stealing-my- :roll:

But of course you're right. There's no other way this would or should work at this stage in the society that we live in.

...that calls for a good chuckle of LOL CAPITALISM from me :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:38 pm

rubyeye wrote:
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
2- The con is not distributing the music to the public at large... But acting more like a radio station... This is why pretty much all cons will not give out the AMVs played at the contest, nor make a distro disc...
Oh oh, this is what I was worried about. Because this is exactly what Chris (Akon Video Event head coordinator) has planned and even outlined on the Contest Distribution section of the site. Do you think it would be wise for me to contact him and discuss these plans in light of all this sudden "legality"?
Might be a good idea.... The chances of getting anythign are very small, but it only takes one person to complain...

ALSO, it should be noted that even if the it is the case the that all major bands have to go, it would only effect the LINKS and not kill the entire site.. The Catalog would still be here, as the forums and other stuff just like they were here before the Golden Doughnut... The point is we don't just vanish....

Vlad

Vlad
Last edited by Vlad G Pohnert on Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Site Announcements”