Evanescence, Seether and Creed videos no longer available

[Mike of the Desert]
Location: Earth -> Europe -> Italy -> Rome -> Cerveteri -> Sasso -> Home -> Mike's Room
Org Profile

Post by [Mike of the Desert] » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:19 pm

I didn't get any answer from Phade (he must be extremely busy) but I understood everything I wanted here in these last hours. =) I hope to have not bother him too much with that question. So, Zahmira, I understand what you mean and create a my website is something I'm plannign to do from a lot of time. :)

For the rest, I actually quote everything you all said, I understand what you mean, especially Jaddzia, since I feel the same, I really love to have this central site for my most big passion. And I only hope this will stop with this case. But who knows in the future.. ;( I don't have any idea for now.
ImageImage

setalone
Org Profile

Post by setalone » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:33 pm

i'm reading everything everyone says and all i can say is...

i AM glad that the site was not down and i AM glad that PHADE has gone through so much trouble. i PRAY that no other music groups decide to take the same course of action. a petition sounds good but will have little effect. i believe we should just let it go for now and hope that maybe in the future they will remove the ban (possibly if/when the bands break up...) i forget who said it...but i agree that using their music to make videos to post on a-m-v.org should not be our only reason. i will continue to use their music and share them with my friends. BTW we also have things like MORPHEUS and LIMEWIRE (which is where i first found about 20 AMVs by accident. but not to say that just to go behind the artist's back as most people get AMVs form this site...) so there's my 2 cents.
"In complete darkness, we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that separate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you." - Janet Jackson (Rhythm Nation)

rogueintellectproductions
Org Profile

Post by rogueintellectproductions » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:34 pm

First off, Phade, thank you - you should not have to take the heat for us, but I am eternally grateful you did.

Secondly, there are some points in Phade's first post that people are either ignoring, or did not notice.
If the AMV you have created is not available for download on your own web site, you are safe.
In other words, you're not supposed to have it available, period. As was stated before, the label will now likely turn its eye (at least for a little while) on private websites that had these videos available for download. Thank you, Phade, for giving us the warning.
PS. Please do not write to the record label, band, or anyone else in the music industry about AMVs for any reason. Thank you.
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PETITION THE BAND MEMBERS! We got off light; let's not jeapordize that by bitching and moaning to the band behind the label's back. The label could have done alot worse to Phade and to us. The less attention we draw to the site, the longer it'll be around in the shape and form you know it.

Thanks and kudos again have to go to Phade. He not only took a bullet for us, he's trying to make sure we don't draw any more fire.

Chris

(Honestly, you think a letter or petition would get through to the band members without management seeing it first?)

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:39 pm

Oh dear, it has happened. I have to say that AMVs have introduced me to music I never knew or cared about. I have bought all the albums of an artist/group because of just one song in a AMV I saw. And I buy CDs, not downloaded crap (legal or illegal), because I want a nice full quality CD that I can do what I want with (unless more of this Sony DRM crap starts popping up). It is true that some people will download a video just to rip a song, however most people seem to use lower quality sources to begin with and compress it so much it isn't really worth trying. I'll keep buying my CDs unless legal downloads of uncompressed or lossless compression files start. Some artists have done this, "They Might Be Giants" being one who offer FLAC as a download. I enjoy almost all music and the 3 bands banned so far are 3 too many. If the artists/groups themselves dissaprove of what we are doing I will respect their wishes, but if the damn labels are the ones, then F**K them!

We should create a banned music MEP to show our dissaproval, although getting in further trouble would kill even a decent sized community such as this. I love when people go against the "rules", like when bookstores will purposefully push supposedly "banned" books. I've been thinking of making a video with a song by "Alter Bridge" (part of Wind Up Records) and I would still make it even if it gets banned too. In fact, I would love to know why Wind Up didn't ban all of the artists they have. As I said before, if the artists themselves asked for the cease and decist I will agree to that, just not if the record company decided it was bad for publicity or marketing. The sheer volume of Evanesence videos shows me that other AMVs convinced other people to buy their music. However, as most of the Evanesence videos are crappy or low quality, a lot of users probably obtained the music through less than legal methods. Well thats enough from me for now.

BTW, have any anime distributors/companies asked for any anime not be used or be taken off the site?
Insert clever text/image here.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Just a few suggetions and personal comments in regards to writting to the bands/label:

Writting to the bands will probably in most cases not get any notice. Most big bands are quite busy and hence why they have a label do all thier legal work. Most likely it might bring it to the attendtion of the label itself and that might make things worse...

But if you feel you must write no matter what, please don't in any way mention this site. As what we do in regards to copyright of songs is at best grey, we don't need other labels decending on us. Right now our best bet is to keep trying to stay below thier radar. If this was an order to eliminate all links, then there is nothing to loose, but that is not the case right now as we have a lot more to loose. Any association or even mention of the org in a letter would greatly increase the chances of something like this happening again.

Vlad

Another Shauna Video
Org Profile

Post by Another Shauna Video » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:49 pm

I find it amusing that I finished a new AMV to a Creed song when I noticed this. ^^;; Heh... good thing I make my AMVs mostly for my self anyway.

It's too bad this happened, but I'm really glad the whole sight didn't end up getting trashed. Then I would go sit in a corner and cry my little eyes out.

older_gohan
Org Profile

Post by older_gohan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:01 pm

This is all together a real drag. i didn't read through all the points so if I repeat you, sorry.

You know I believ is the band see's it fit then the label should keep their big mouths out of the matter.

Another problem is the fact they are only attacking a small user base on the use of songs. Really they could crack down on more large communities that freely distribute the song. Oh well, you win some you lose some. i"ll do some research on the label and see what I can dig up.

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:02 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this (if they did I'm sorry for pointing it out again). But the download page now lists in its grand CAP and bold greatness...

THIS VIDEO IS PURELY FAN-MADE AND IS IN NO WAY ASSOCIATED WITH THE MUSICAL ARTIST OR ANIME COMPANY IN ANY WAY.

I'm assuming that is there now in light of what has happened.
Insert clever text/image here.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:06 pm

I'm relieved that this finally happened. I don't like waiting for the inevitable, and even if it's just 3 artists, at least it's a step toward what we've been expecting. I'm relieved because it's a ban on certain artists (like fanfiction.net bans certain authors, by the author's request). If that continues, there will still be artists out there to use no matter how long the 'banned artists' list gets.

If we just have to avoid certain artists, the longterm result would be more vids made to non-US-license bearing anime music. Even if US anime companies targetted us, we'd still have the unlicensed anime they have no say over. And with bittorrents it's *much* easier for fans to find semi-large files like amvs without them being hosted for direct download. Companies might get the newer file sharing programs, lock down irc, things like that, but controlling torrents...I don't see that ever being easy, no matter how determined 'they' might get.

I'm not worried about amvs, or the site. Most people already contact the creator when they don't have a local/direct/indirect link available to get the video. So long as the vids are listed with the creator, the site still serves as a source to find amvs. Getting them will just be a little harder is all.

That said, I don't find the loss of a few hosted vids that bothersome. I'll probably remove the indirect links from my website, too, since the artists (or the companies they sold themselves to) don't want fanwork being done to their music. I've had no problem boycotting some of my favorite authors when they had the nerve to ban fanfiction of their stories, so doing the same thing for musical artists is only natural to me. All it means is that I turn my interest elsewhere - the US is good for always having more authors and artists you can go to when a few become distasteful.

older_gohan
Org Profile

Post by older_gohan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm

I had noticed that. I'm guessing they probably struck a deal with the company. But I don't see what the problem was int he first place.

Return to “Site Announcements”