Evanescence, Seether and Creed videos no longer available

DaCoolGohan
Org Profile

Re: My two cents (but not paid to any copyright infringement

Post by DaCoolGohan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:20 am

MisterFurious wrote: It still escapes me how anyone could be naive enough to think that any videos distributed here have any affiliation to the artists that created the music. I guess it just goes to show you why there are ridiculous disclaimers on almost every commercial you see (like "Professional driver on closed course - do not attempt"). Looks like Phade may have to add one to the org:

"Unless otherwise indicated, music videos distributed on a-m-v.org have no affiliation whatsoever with the artists responsible for the music, the creators of the anime, or any other entity to that extent."

Or something like that.....

Once again, great job, Phade! Whether you realize it or not, you covered our posteriors very well.
This is probably the case, and could be the best way to solve any of these problems in the future. There is no doubt in my mind that Phade is the only reason this site has lasted so long, and has kept so many different editors for being sued for one thing or the other, or even having to just deal with record companies' lawyers. If it wasn't for Phade caring so much for the well being of the community he created, he could have left us to our own devices long ago, when he was turning over reigns mainly to others, and then when this had happened we would have been completely screwed. In fact he cares so much for this community, which shows no gratitude, that he fights to keep the site alive, when he could have just said screw it all and closed it. It’s the same theme as with a lot of good leaders of any kind of thing. Even if the greatest portion of people don't care about their endeavors, they will fight to have as minimal damage done to what they created. I think a lot of people get away from the fact that without Phade this place would never exist, and hell, more than half the people here would have never made or even seen an AMV, goes for me too.

At least we still have Phade, and maybe this little thing will remind us how great the guy, who made everything possible, actually is. He doesn't even want to be praised for what he has just done, to save our asses and unless I'm way off track, He would probably do it again. At least he is still behind the community.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:59 am

The sad thing is that I read the first post and felt pretty neutral about it until I suddenly realized "OH DAMMIT I HAVE AN EVANESCENCE VIDEO, DON'T I" (and it's possibly the best video I've ever made, IMNSHO).
Rozard wrote:Something I'd like to say is that, to the extent of my knowledge, the act of making AMVs is still covered by fair use. It's the distrobution of AMVs which pushes them into illegality.
I thought the circumvention of CSS for to rip DVDs was illegal?

... I really don't have anything to say, except thanks to Phade for handling the situation (after reading the rest of the thread, I do feel it's major sigh-of-relief time) and that this won't stop me from continuing to offer that video on my own website.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:51 am

Oh, I do have one suggestion: it's confusing to look at my profile and see Direct and Local links still listed for that one video, but then to go to the actual video's info page and see that the videos are not in fact available. I suspect that it would show up the same way on searches.

Could such videos possibly have their links statuses (stati?) changed to show up as "NO" in places such as profiles and search results?
ImageImage

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:58 am

Ack, didn't think of this until now. Sorry for the triple post.

I guess this kind of relates to my last question: assuming an affected video was previously available on local, will people now be able to leave opinions on it without having previously gotten it locally (because if they didn't get it from local then, they're certainly not getting it from local now, but the opinion blocker may still prevent them because the local link does exist even if it isn't available)?
ImageImage

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:18 am

Phade, would you ever consider turning this into an anonymouse one through programs such as freenet or (preferably) i2p?
nynex4 wrote:Well, I am taking my recently purchaced Seether album back to the store, and I was considering buying Evanescense, but It seems I have changed my mind.
Why? Do you refuse to support an artist just because a record label decided to protect there copyright in a way which members of this site see as wrong?

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:52 am

They're basically attacking fans. Does it have something to do with misrepresenting them in any way? It's a fact that the only thing the org has done is help them make money. That's a fact.. I don't generalize that much and make fun of people who are quick to jump to conclusions on things but it's an absolute FACT that they've made money from our form of advertisement. PERIOD!! This is another one of those things that make me want to become a rebel. No one downloads AMVs just to get their songs..

They have some of their stuff being used at newgrounds and a lot of other places.. If they started attacking some other popular fanmade video sites.. I bet this may hit the news on G4techTV.

Iamshadowkiller
Org Profile

Post by Iamshadowkiller » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:01 am

ouch

I agree with everything Devo said

ouch though :x

/end
Oh how convenient. A theory about God that doesn't require looking through a telescope.

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:06 am

Beowulf wrote:While this is a step in a dangerous direction, no one is talking about the REAL issue of this thread:

Evenescence, Creed, and Seether were banned! HORRAY! Down with shitty music! You'll never have to watch an AMV with either of them again!
lol. That's a good way of looking at it. :lol:

[Mike of the Desert]
Location: Earth -> Europe -> Italy -> Rome -> Cerveteri -> Sasso -> Home -> Mike's Room
Org Profile

Post by [Mike of the Desert] » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:50 am

Wait wait wait, in the end.. This means that any creator that will work on a video featuring those bands will have to NOT put it on the org?
ImageImage

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:57 am

x_rex30 wrote: No one downloads AMVs just to get their songs..
I would think so too. But these are only a small sample. :(

But looking at it another way, these are only a small sample of the users here as well. I personally bought Seether's album "Disclaimer II" a while back JUST for the song "Broken" featuring Amy Lee of Evanescence because I had a great AMV idea to it (which I later dropped...besides, it wouldn't have been uploadable anyway due to various reasons). In fact, nowdays I buy most of my music because I have AMV ideas for the songs. And I'd like to think that people watch my videos, realize how great the music is, and go buy the CDs too, not just callously rip the audio out for their iPods. :x
Life's short.
eBayhard.

Return to “Site Announcements”