Too hot for AX! See the video THEY don't want to show you!

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Shni 0 Pold
Org Profile

Ignore...

Post by Shni 0 Pold » Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:05 am

Just ignore him... fact is ErMaC that you are lucky to have not made it because you would have felt much worse if you had made it and then they announced the postponement of the contest and then the next day there wasn't a croud there to see your video anyway.
--Umm...I don't know...

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:18 am

HentaiMaster you're missing the whole damn point.
So my video didn't get shown - fine. If the video simply hat not made the final on merits alone, that's fine.

But it wasn't. It was DQ'd, and that's what I'm angry about.

So stop arguing whether it's a good video or not, no one is arguing about that. I don't give a rats ass whether you like it or not.

And FYI the video was made before the AX rules were posted anyways, so it's not like I measured the amount of time that I could use live action footage - it just worked out to be within the limit so I entered it.

Frankly I think you just don't like the video and are making a big stink about it. That's not what I'm talking about, so just drop it. We get it - you think it's a bad video.

I don't care.

What I care about is being unjustly disqualified, and so far you haven't even scratched that subject. So just shut up already unless you want to actually talk about the subject at hand.

TheRealNeoHentaiMaster
Org Profile

uuh....yeah

Post by TheRealNeoHentaiMaster » Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:31 am

Umm, did you even read my post, or did you just start going off the second you realized I wasn't praising you.

Listen, Im going to try really hard to make this my last post on this
subject because ive been in "arguments" like this before where I just have to keep repeating myself because the other person just simply wont acknowledge what im saying.

I actually did quite clearly "scratch the surface" of why I thought your video was not unjustly disqualified. If you read my post, wich im kinda doubting, you would see that all my criquites of your vid were tied into the over-all argument I was making about your disqualification being fair, and why the judges did it. You even admitted you made it without knowing or following the rules.

Also, saying you werent lookin for opinions on it is kinda hypocritical. If you didnt want any then why did you link the vid? I mean, I kinda figured you wanted some feed back, so dont blame me for stating my opinion. You say you dont "give a rats ass" if I like it or not, but I think its more that you dont "give a rats ass" if I dont like it, because you seem to have no problem with those that do like it. Not that I blame for you that, its understandable, im just saying.

Im gonna make this real simple. My whole problem with you right now is that all you doing, weither you realize or not, is just complaining cause your vid didnt make it in. A lot of other people didnt make it in either because of being disqualified for reason they may veiw has stupid and they seem to dealing with it a lot better than you. We all get screwed sometimes, be glad if this is the worst that ever happens to you. Also, again, weither you realize or not, your giving off this attitude like its some horrible tradegy the audience didnt get to see your vid. That now, because of the BIG HORRIBLE AWFUL ASSHOLE JUDGES THAT WOULD DARE NOT LET YOUR VIDEO IN, the world has now been deprived of your great work of art. You cannot tell me that some of the stuff you said in this thread hasn't been a tad arrogant. You seem to think that just because YOU think something isnt sexual, that everyone else shouldnt either, and that everyone who does is some big idiot treating YOU(cause you know, they only did it because it was YOU.....) unfair. Once again, not trying to come down on your vid(I dont think Ive said once I didnt like it), but I think you might be giving yourself a bit to much credit on this one.

Anyway, my real over-all point is, just get over it already. Its not the horrible unfair judgment your making in out to be. The video is OK, I admit getting a couple laughs out of it, but it deserved its disqualification.

End of story.

OmniStrata
Org Profile

:P and double :P

Post by OmniStrata » Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:11 am

Ah don't care if it's any damn contest.

It's an ErMaC video and I want to see it!

:P

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Re: uuh....yeah

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:28 am

TheRealNeoHentaiMaster wrote: You seem to think that just because YOU think something isnt sexual, that everyone else shouldnt either,
You obviously didn't see some of the videos that WERE let in.

Hinted sex is one thing.... sticking a penis in your face is another.

You seem to have missed the point that the rules for disqualification aren't only applicable to some videos. The rule for one video should apply to others but that wasn't the case here. Given the other entries that weren't disqualified there is no logical argument for this video's disqualification.

Contests are about consistency. God forbid you should ever run one as you don't seem to understand the concept of rules being clear and decisive.

TheRealNeoHentaiMaster wrote: If you didnt want any then why did you link the vid?
errr... so people knew what it was and choose to download it? You know... the reason most people "announce" things.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:01 am

Jeez...if it wasn't good enough to be shown at AX, why should I bother downloading it?

;-)

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:07 pm

Beowulf wrote:
ErMaC wrote: Judges are full of shit a lot of the times. Brad Demoss won two awards at A-Kon he ABSOLUTELY should not have won. You know why he won? Because he's Brad Demoss. Jesus Christ he won best artistic for showing racoons playing the banjo.

More Than Toast has swpet every JACON. You know why? Because there MTT and they ARE somebody.

It fucking makes me sick.
Uh huh.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:35 pm

I wonder if people now believe me more about my statements about Ermac's attitude at Fanime. :lol:

My videos did not make the finals either. I had one that would have been in the comedy category, and I believe would have been funnier then Cyber Eye Candy. I'm sure there are others as well. So even if what you thought were bad videos were taken out of the contest, doesn't mean yours would still have made it to the finals.

One observation I would also like to make. If memory serves me right, Ermac's video contain noises/sounds that could be taken as 'sexual' the Excell video did not contain sexual sounds. So maybe it wasn't the visual part of the video that makes a video be DQ, but the sound. Just as explicate lyrics can DQ a video.

I don't know why my video didn't make the finals. I'm going to assume it was because they didn't want to endorse drugs, and make the audience go on a drug trip with my video. :D

Complaining that a video didn't make the finals due to judges like another video better then another is okay, because that's a very subjective thing.

Being DQed from a contest is not a subjective thing. They decided your video did not quality for an exact reason, but you don't know the exact reason so don't try and guess about what it is. Leave the dang judges alone.

Maybe it got DQed for the amount of Live Action footage. That used more then 20%. Who says they have to actually time the Live Action Footage by the second. Maybe they did it by the minute. Meaning in a 5 minute AMV you can have only 1 minute of that time containing any non-anime footage. If your video's non-anime footage took up most of one minute then that minute counts towards the limit.

Example:

4 minute AMV. = 260 Seconds
20% of 260 = 52 seconds

In 1 minute of the footage, you have 52 seconds of non-anime footage. More then 50% of that minute had none anime footage so the minute is considered as being a minute of non-anime footage.

Therefore 1 / 4 = 25% was non-anime, therefore the video is cut.

Not saying this is how they did it, but it's a possiability. So don't just say that things were unfair. Maybe they were fair, just not how you would have done it.

So other then being DQ for Visual content, you could have been DQed for...

Explicate Sound/Lyrics

Non-Anime Footage (based on by Minute, not by second)

So stop complianing that it was just because of Visual content, when you don't know that it was.

Anneke

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:55 pm

anneke wrote:I don't know why my video didn't make the finals. I'm going to assume it was because they didn't want to endorse drugs, and make the audience go on a drug trip with my video. :D
*points to the video that won the Fun category*

Do you need a bigger endorsement? :P

As for the DQ debate I don't think anyone here really is questioning that the reasons for disqualifications are unclear. Personally I think that's partly a result of being vague in the submission rules.

I don't recall if you discussed this in any of your advice to cons posts, Anneke, but what would be your preferred nomenclature for ruling against explicit content? I'd be particularly interested in hearing your views as you have created videos using occasionally sexual scenes.

It's an interesting issue, especially as a great deal of what is appropriate is based on context. A head bouncing up and down can be seen as harmless in one instance and very explicit in another. Given this what would one rule against?

Personally I quite like the statement "If you wouldn't like your parents to accidentally see it then it's too explicit" ^_^;;;

NPC3000
Org Profile

Post by NPC3000 » Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:20 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:"If you wouldn't like your parents to accidentally see it then it's too explicit" ^_^;;;
:shock: Uh oh...that means I've seen/heard a LOT of explicit content...

Oh well, it's just another drop of a corrupted teenager in the bucket of millions :P

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”