Capturing VHS footage...

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
y2kwizard
Org Profile

Capturing VHS footage...

Post by y2kwizard » Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:08 pm

Hello all. I own a VHS tape of a movie, and I'm trying to get some footage from the tape. However, when I connect my camcorder to the output of my VCR, I get that awful copy protect message. Is there any way around this? I mean, I can always goto blockbuster and rent the DVD and rip that, but that just doesn't feel right......

anyone know?

thanks a lot!
"When I got fat, I decided to grow a beard" -- The Great Andy
"Is it a DARTH visor?" and "It's funny cuz it's pants" -- The Master of on-the-spot Funniness
"You're too young for your age" and "I'm sorry for apologizing so much" -- The Master of on-the-spot Randomness

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:29 pm

May be macrovision copy protection. I think using an S-Video connection can bypass it, but I'm not sure.
I'm out...

Mask of Destiny
Org Profile

Post by Mask of Destiny » Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:44 pm

Well you coud try to track down a macrovision stripper, but they are a bit pricey and can be hard to find. You could also try finding a hack for your video capture card that disables macrovision.

I don't think the S-Video method will have any effect, but I'm not sure either. It would be a rather pointless technology if it was that easy to crack.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:38 pm

HAHAHAHA!!!! Ok, I'm the guy to trust on this, I've delt with this more times than anybody else and it stopped me from making videos, yes it is macrovision on the tape that is stopping you from recording. Go purchase a Sima Video Copymaster or a Sima collor Corecter. I found mine at Best Buy near the DVD players. It will cost you about $40 to $50 and all you do is rerout your video cables through it and it will eliminate teh copyright and macorvision encoding.

Just trust me, buy this, it will remove your problems completely.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:39 pm

Since I can't edit. Don't bother with teh S-Video method, I tried that it doesn't work. Nor does rerouting the cables through multiple systems. Just by the Sima Copymaster, it's cheap and it does the job, guarenteed. I'm working on a Trigun AMV right now and these DVDs are copyright encoded but the copymaster solves the problem.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

y2kwizard
Org Profile

Post by y2kwizard » Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:59 pm

Thanks a lot! This'll really help me!
"When I got fat, I decided to grow a beard" -- The Great Andy
"Is it a DARTH visor?" and "It's funny cuz it's pants" -- The Master of on-the-spot Funniness
"You're too young for your age" and "I'm sorry for apologizing so much" -- The Master of on-the-spot Randomness

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”