More Bandwidth and Revenue Needed

tribblewing
Org Profile

Post by tribblewing » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:47 am

CrazedMoogle wrote:there's still the option of reopening the online shop, only it would need something interesting to attract customers: sell mainstream commodities, like anime dvd's, manga and such, or anime-related merchandise, like action figures and stuff like that.
I've ctrl+f like a third of the pages in this thread for anything involving the online store/shop and I've a couple of questions:

* What was being sold at the store?
* And how long ago was it that this store was around?
* What's involved in getting the store back up?

As for CrazedMoogle's suggestions on what to sell... why make it that complicated?

It occurred to me at one point that I've never burned so many CD-Rs in my life 'til I joined a-m-v.org, since the truly awesome AMVs are more rare and valuable to me than any anime or mp3s collection. I try to make copies of everything I like.

What I would really love being sold here are CD cases or holders... preferably a translucent, pliable plastic one that has "AMV" or some cool-looking logo on its cover... with a single snap-on button clasp... and have it come in different colors. I would totally donate for/buy something like that... cause it'd be *USEFUL*.

I think I'd pay $10 for a CD case holding thing like that. I dunno what you actually *call* these things, cause like I said, I've never bothered with burning CDs before.

I wouldn't want any t-shirts or toys or trinkets. There's enough of those out in animanga shops.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:09 pm

The store had been around since I joined, until last year I believe. It sold shirts, mousepads, and coffee mugs with logos on them. the first AMV logo(the eye on the music note), and none of the other logos(as far as I can remember, anyway). Some "big-name" AMV studios hopped on the bandwagon and had their own logos, such as "My AMVs suck" and I think Random Variable Productions had their own shop, too(before the merge into Random Destination).

The only problem with the shop that I could see was that there wasn't any advertising there. The toolbar on the left in the members main page is devised in such a way that you have no idea what is there unless you are looking for it. So I had no idea a shop existed until -Gasp- I couldn't find a link to something else, so I sat there for five minutes, reading all the little toolbars.

I also didn't like the first logo. I liked the logo with "AMV" on the grey movie film thing, which I think is the logo before this one.
ANYWAY, I think the number one problem witht he online shop was nobody knew it was there.

Now if we actually had it in a visible area, or had an ad pop up for it every once in a while, that would help.

And the CD holder case thing- that's an awesome idea. I'd get one of those. XD

Also, with what was said before about the graph and stats scaring people away- this is true.

Get rid of the graphs and stats, or make them available only if you're specifically looking for them. All the users need to know is that you need money.

.. Although the graph depicting how many videos a day were uploaded on the main member page was kind of cool. I looked at that all the time. XP
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

vanhelsing3150
Org Profile

Post by vanhelsing3150 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:56 pm

i like the idea of an online store, i had no idea there was a store for this site at one point, i would hav gotten so much stuff (especially stuff with logos to advertise the site), i would donate but i have no job and cant afford to donate
*feels like bum*. As for ideas, i think the site should offer advertiseing space
(i know its been suggested, but its a good idea), i dont like the idea of bandwidth caps, that punishes those unable to donate *like me*. bit torrent isnt a good idea (its so slow) but back to the store thing, if the store was more advertised it might hav preduced more revenue(i never knew about it),
as for those out of the country making donations, if you wantto keep the site goin the extra fee's associated i think are worth it, i myself plan on donating a large sum of money in the near future (possibly in the hundreds, and dont criticize me sayin this), well thats all i got to say
*live long AMV!!*
"Humankind cannot gain without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal or greater value must be lost. This is Alchemys first law of equivalent exchange."

-Alphonse Elric 'Full Metal Alchemist'

vanhelsing3150
Org Profile

Post by vanhelsing3150 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:10 pm

Garylisk say" 7. I dunno if I am serious on this one or not... Limit the formats that are uploadable - Don't allow people to upload videos that are in WMV format, etc. Only allow avi, mkv, etc... any of the preferred direct show non-proprietary video formats. Maybe this owuld cut down on the number of spammy videos that get uploaded. I know I groan every time I see a WMV format video, and think to myself "What a waste of bandwidth..." - Of coruse, this is also making a broad generalization that people who encode in WMV format generally aren't donators as well. So who knows. "

I no like this idea cause i can only format my vids into WMV, thats all i got and dat wouldnt be fair to others wit da same problem
"Humankind cannot gain without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal or greater value must be lost. This is Alchemys first law of equivalent exchange."

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:12 pm

So wait... You don't have enough money to donate anything...

But you're willing to buy stuff with this money you don't have?

Surprisingly, I think most people think this way, so I suppose brining back the storew ould yield better results if, in fact, people did know it existed and it sold useful things, Like the CD holder case thing. Yeah, I know what you're talking about but I have no idea what it's called, either. X|
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:52 pm

vanhelsing3150 wrote:I no like this idea cause i can only format my vids into WMV, thats all i got and dat wouldnt be fair to others wit da same problem
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... xport.html

:?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

vanhelsing3150
Org Profile

Post by vanhelsing3150 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:01 pm

i would hav requested the store items as gifts for holidays such as christmas, or my birthday (grrrrrrrrrrr, critics)

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:18 am

vanhelsing3150 wrote:
Garylisk wrote:7. I dunno if I am serious on this one or not... Limit the formats that are uploadable - Don't allow people to upload videos that are in WMV format, etc. Only allow avi, mkv, etc... any of the preferred direct show non-proprietary video formats. Maybe this owuld cut down on the number of spammy videos that get uploaded. I know I groan every time I see a WMV format video, and think to myself "What a waste of bandwidth..." - Of coruse, this is also making a broad generalization that people who encode in WMV format generally aren't donators as well. So who knows. "

I no like this idea cause i can only format my vids into WMV, thats all i got and dat wouldnt be fair to others wit da same problem
Donators could upload WMVs.

Yes, I realize it's a bad idea. I was half joking. :P
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:41 am

I think we should all hold out breath and wait for the stats from the google ads to come in. Phade, how long till the first wad of cash gets to you? Hopefully its succesfull enough and we'l all be able to sit comfourtably till the RIAA comes knocking.
vanhelsing3150 wrote:i would donate but i have no job and cant afford to donate *feels like bum*.
:cry:

ssj4lonewolf
Org Profile

Re: More Bandwidth and Revenue Needed

Post by ssj4lonewolf » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:05 pm

Phade wrote:Hey,
Roccket wrote:Things would be much more easier for international users if the org had his own credit card payment system.
We have actually been working on that for a long time. We have the account, but no online method to process them yet. Since Derobert always complains about my broken code, I asked him to write up the CC processor. Normally I would write something up that works most of the time. But when it comes to CCs, Derobert's method of coding is much better.

Phade.
Get this and i will donate with the quickness. I for one just hate going threw the process of mailing and such, because it kinda takes some of my time after i get off of work in the morning(feeling like a zombie).
SQ wrote:And the CD holder case thing- that's an awesome idea. I'd get one of those. XD
*nods*

If your going to make t-shirts, i think some of our local org artists would be happy to give you some designs for the shirts. Booth idea at major cons would be a great idea as well, because most of us have cash while we're at a con. So I like that too. It woulda been nice if it was at anime expo, and phade if u would of came there, you proly would of been a guest of honor or somthin.[/quote]
Oh god, that black dude with the afro is always making those damn trash ass music hip hop amvs...he needs to do something with techno or rock....
.......as if I would do something like that.
おおかみなく

Return to “Site Announcements”