Ads are now on local video download page

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Ads are now on local video download page

Post by Phade » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:50 pm

Hey All,

I just wanted to give you guys an update as to the status of the ads thing. We’ve gotten a Google AdSense account and put those on the local video download page. These will be our “backup” ads from the regular ads that may be sold for those spots. The system to track those ads is still in the works.

Just so you know how AdSense and ads in general work, I’ll try to explain what I know. There are generally two main types of ads on the internet as a whole:

* CPM (Cost Per Mil): These they are a “pay-per-view” per 1000 times the ad is displayed (impressions). These may run from a few cents to a dollar or so per 1000 impressions of the ad.
* CPC (Cost Per Click): These ads pay when the ad itself is clicked. These also may run from a few cents to a dollar or so per click.

AdSense is (from what I can tell) purely a CPC payment model. This means that we only get paid from AdSense when the ad itself is clicked and not when the ad is just displayed. This is just a limitation of AdSense and why these will be backup ads for the “normal” ads. (No, we can’t put “be sure to click the ads” on that page; it’s against Google’s rules. ;-) )

When the “normal” ad system is ready, those will be a combination of CPM and CPC. This model is the usual ad model for most other ad campaigns. There will be more info on this system when it is available.

We will also look into other ad companies that can target ads to the needs of this site. I really don’t want to have untargeted ads since they are generally useless. I also don’t want to work with intrusive or deceptive ad companies (pop-ups, pop-under, trackers, etc).

Well, I just wanted to give you guys an update of what’s going on. I hope this helps.

Phade.
Last edited by Phade on Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quiet Cannon
Org Profile

Post by Quiet Cannon » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:14 am

Have you looked at some of the ads. Taking a look around, I found some links to sites where you can download anime episodes or buy bootlegs. I'm pretty sure that is restricted on this site. Maybe someone needs to ban himself.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with ads on the video description page, but the star scores aren't displaying there anymore. If I want to find the star avreage, I have to go back to the member's profile page.
Final Doom "Amazing things will happen here soon."

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Substance "Everyone knows that it's a dangerous substance."

SpringBoy
Org Profile

Post by SpringBoy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:27 am

Phade wrote:AdSense is (from what I can tell) purely a CPC payment model. This means that we only get paid from AdSense when the ad itself is clicked and not when the ad is just displayed.
Hmm. I checked the Google AdSense Common Questions and it seems like the ads put on the site will earn revenue from both:
Google wrote:The Google ads you are able to display on your content pages can be either cost-per-click (CPC) or cost-per-1000-impressions (CPM) ads, while AdSense for search results pages show exclusively CPC ads. This means that advertisers pay either when users click on ads, or when the advertiser's ad is shown on your site. You'll receive a portion of the amount paid for either activity on your website.
The wording is a bit strange but I believe it's saying:

- normal ads get revenue from both CPC and CPM
- if you have a Google search box then any ads displayed on that results page are CPC

Let us know if you see a substantial amount of income from this! :)

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:33 am

Hey,

If anyone sees any ads for bootleg sites, please email admin@animemusicvideos.org or message me ASAP. We are able to block these sites which we definitly want to disassociate from our site.

The star ratings should be back up. I had rewritten the "has donated" function, but a slight error had it looking at the oldest donation rather than the newest donation.

Phade.

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:03 am

Saw a few adds. They seem to all be for varios video related software. Wouldnt it be wiser to have anime merchandise related adds?

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:23 am

Hey,
bum wrote:Saw a few adds. They seem to all be for varios video related software. Wouldnt it be wiser to have anime merchandise related adds?
From the way I understand things, the ads are based on Google scans of the content of the pages. They use a really big function to come up with "if someone is viewing this page, they may be interested in...". They then choose ads based on the highest paying ads, what has been show before, and a bunch of other criteria. Google like to return a variety of ads to keep things interesting. We have no real control over what is returned (though we can block ads from certain sites).

This means that if the page talks about video software, there is the possibility of video software ads coming up. Video software is definitely something that would interest a good number of people here at AnimeMusicVideos.org. :-)

I hope this helps.

Phade.

Hellsing365
Org Profile

Post by Hellsing365 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:19 pm

This topic has made me relize that you guys REALLY do need the money and its not just a buggy message.. (yeah i know, im kinda mean sry) I would donate, but theres an anime convenction comming up saterday and i dont have a job so its gonna be kinda hard. There are alot of unawhere people out there who just skip over the announcements (and awhile ago i did that to) but after the server crashed and you guys worked so hard to get it back up, it made me think. Hey, these people rock, I should donate... so i ask my parents, and they say they dont want to..... (since im only 14..and they are strict about where my money goes) so.... i'll try and work something out after the anime convenction.

I like the adds, infact i got kinda sidetracked on them XD so i think they'll work nicely

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:55 pm

Phade wrote: This means that if the page talks about video software, there is the possibility of video software ads coming up. Video software is definitely something that would interest a good number of people here at AnimeMusicVideos.org. :-)
That could return a few negative results. Mainly in responce to hentai vids and music, which would lead to return adds for paid p2p programs. Does AdSence decide which adds to show based on info on the specific page or des it take the whole site into account?

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:54 pm

Hey,
bum wrote:Does AdSence decide which adds to show based on info on the specific page or des it take the whole site into account?
As far as I know, it just blindly looks at the text on the page and bases its decision on that and that alone. We do have the ability to block ads from selected sites. If you see an inappropriate ad on this site (pr0n, bootlegs, downloadable episodes, etc.), please email admin@animemusicvideos.org or me directly ASAP with the site URL and we can block those site ads.

Phade.
Last edited by Phade on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:10 am

There seems to be some question on if the ads are CPM or CPC. Does anyone have a definite answer for which they are or if they are a mixture? The reason I ask is the ads ran into an adblock definition I made for another site so in my particular case I don't get the ads. Is it worth going to the effort of making an org definition to hide ads instead of blocking them (since whitelisting the org isn't an option yet) or will the org not get paid either way?

Feel free to ignore this question if discussion on how to block ads but still get paid is the type of thing google doesn't want you talking about.

Return to “Site Announcements”