More Bandwidth and Revenue Needed

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:51 am

I'm proud now to be a donator, after over a year of being a "non-donating leeching mofo", as Phade put it. :P

But I read a few things on Paypal that still need clarification:
paizuri wrote:PayPal is free to sign up with, but they require you to register a bank account or credit card number to withdraw money from.
Actually, paizuri, you don't need to register a bank account to donate using PayPal - only the Credit Card number.

If you supply a Credit Card and not a Bank Account number, your account stays "Unverified", but you can still donate money to the Org (and send money to others) with an Unverified account.
KaneDragon wrote:Does one have to create a Paypal account to send money over Paypal with credit/debit? I don't like how one apparently can't remove the primary credit card associated with a Paypal account unless one replaces it with another...
PayPal should work like any other money-like account. As long as you do not have any debits to pay off, if you want to close the account, you can close it.

Also, your credit card number is never used in a Paypal transaction -- Paypal itself deducts the amount first from your credit card account and posts it into your Paypal account.

Phade:

Let me know how much you would ideally want for a donation per month, and I can see what I can do on my end. I can probably afford a bit more than I'm pledging right now, if you need the extra donation money.

Let me know by PM. :)
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:01 am

GloryQuestor wrote:
paizuri wrote:PayPal is free to sign up with, but they require you to register a bank account or credit card number to withdraw money from.
Actually, paizuri, you don't need to register a bank account to donate using PayPal - only the Credit Card number.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

KaneDragon
Org Profile

Post by KaneDragon » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:27 am

So, is the category of purchase "Service"?

Perhaps it would help if there were more instructions on donating with paypal...

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:35 am

KaneDragon wrote:So, is the category of purchase "Service"?

Perhaps it would help if there were more instructions on donating with paypal...
That's what I was trying to say earlier. I actually never bothered with paypal, until I called my sister and she told me it was easy to use, and then told me how to get started. I'm sure plenty of people want to pay but are too lazy. Help the lazy people out! :wink:

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:12 pm

x_rex30 wrote:
KaneDragon wrote:So, is the category of purchase "Service"?

That's what I was trying to say earlier. I actually never bothered with paypal, until I called my sister and she told me it was easy to use, and then told me how to get started. I'm sure plenty of people want to pay but are too lazy. Help the lazy people out! :wink:
Stuff like that doesnt really even matter. Phade gets the money no matter what you call it.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:24 pm

What is the current method of payment for adds anyways? Does pay-per-click still work (scripts anyone?) or is it pay for addspace (adblock with firefox or some such setup). Either way, revenue could be obtained without actually bothering anyone that much.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Al'x
Org Profile

Post by Al'x » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:50 pm

well I am a person who only recently donated...

The reasons I did not donate are...
-do not trust Paypal
-do not have a credit card
-saw no benefit to donating

The thing that finally convinced me to donate : being able to see star averages so I could avoid bad videos. I would have donated a lot sooner if I had known that this feature existed.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:26 pm

Google Ads for non-donators sounds like a plan. Most users find the google ads very un-obtrusive, so it could generate some revenue without actually pissing too many people off.

SuperFusion
Org Profile

Post by SuperFusion » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:50 pm

lol, it'd be a sad day the day the org implements google ads for non-donators.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:11 pm

SuperFusion wrote:lol, it'd be a sad day the day the org implements google ads for non-donators.
Firefox + adblock = no adds bothering you.

As long as google pays for the ad space and not the actual clicking of adds that is..
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Site Announcements”