Video info more restricted over time

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:39 pm

I guess I just don't really see why it matters what people want to write in their comments section. The purposes of the catalogue is fullfilled by the other elements of the video entry which are searchable. These other elements are things which should not change. But comments on the other hand, I think should be left up to the discretion of the person who entered them. After all, if he hadn't bothered entering it in the first place, the video wouldn't even be listed!
Video comments are not "facts" that should never be changed. Some people might not even write comments when they are new, but then later, they might decide to go back and write up some comments for all of their videos. Other people might leave comments that are time sensitive, like "this is my best video I've made so far!" Once that person makes a better video, then that comment is outdated! Also for people who post up outside links to their videos, they may update their comments periodically about the various links. I think there is just too much that a person could potentially want to change to warrent locking this information away from them.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:51 pm

Why would the admins have to monitor all changes made daily? The admins don't monitor all new videos to catch if someone uploaded something with no anime, uploaded something violating the local hosting rules, or uploaded anothers video as their own. All those violations are caught by users who report the problem when they run into it and that system seems to work, at least somewhat. Why can't the same idea be used here? A user could monitor and report problems, an admin could roll back to a previous snapshot, and any entry that had to be rolled back could be changed to append only to prevent repeated messing up.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:56 pm

Hey Zarxrax,

But usually the vast majority of the information in the video description are facts about the video. "I made this video because blah blah blah. I used blah blah blah to make it. I spent a lot of time on blah blah blah section. I was really happy with how blah blah blah turnd out but not so much about blah blah blah. The lyrics of the song are blah blah blah." And so on and so forth.

If a video creator writes no comments about the video, they can still add them at any time. This ability has not changed. Even if the creator made a comment such as, "This is the best video I've made so far," that fact does not change even if they make a better video later because it was the best video they made at that time. All videos have dates for when they were created. Lining them up chronologically makes the statement true for all time (according to the video creator's opinion, of course).

Even though comments are not required for the video, the point of this change is to keep people from changing useful comments into useless comments, which has happened several times. It is just now that we are doing something about it with such a high-profile good creator doing a flip-out. As of right now, the video creator can add any useful information to the video at any time.

If members need to make comments about links to their videos, perhaps we should add a "comments" field to the link listing itself. These could be changed at any time since links are dynamic and can change at any time.

The point of the catalog is to keep as much information about AMVs as possible. This recent step is to help that goal. A better system is in the works, but the one implemented now solves the problem with the least amount of effort for now.

I hope this helps.

Phade.

SuperFusion
Org Profile

Post by SuperFusion » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:00 pm

bum wrote:
SuperFusion wrote:They sure don't act like they have a life.
That coming from someone who cuts up scenes from a kids cartoon and rearanges them in an attempt to fit with a song? Seriosly, if you want to be the pop culture stereotypical geek bashing type, this hoby, site and anything related to it has no place for you.

bum, if you haven't realized it yet, anime is for entertainment. Nothing more. You trying to say I'm a child for liking anime is just like me saying you're a child for watching anime. It's hobby and rearrange, guy. Make sure you spell everything right when you bash someone. First of all, why can't I edit information on a video I created? What? I already can't delete my fucking video entries and now I can't delete information over a period of 2 weeks? I can understand the video part because the site's purpose is to have every AMV in existence uploaded. But taking away the priviledge to edit my own video's information is bullshit. sarcasim\Nice update, guy./end sarcasim

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:00 pm

Phade wrote:If members need to make comments about links to their videos, perhaps we should add a "comments" field to the link listing itself. These could be changed at any time since links are dynamic and can change at any time.
I like that idea. Particularly if short comments can be attatched to each individual link (besides locals).

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:05 pm

I've never heard of anyone changing useful comments to useless comments until recently. I really don't see it as such a big deal that you would need to implement this new feature. I find this feature more useless than useful.

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:12 pm

I really like that idea.

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:12 pm

x_rex30 wrote:I've never heard of anyone changing useful comments to useless comments until recently. I really don't see it as such a big deal that you would need to implement this new feature. I find this feature more useless than useful.
After looking into these matters, it turns out that this is less of an isolated occurrence than you might think. Of course, Tom the Fish may be the most well-known case, but there are plenty of other people who have decided to wreck their video entry information for whatever reason.

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:19 pm

paizuri wrote:After looking into these matters, it turns out that this is less of an isolated occurrence than you might think. Of course, Tom the Fish may be the most well-known case, but there are plenty of other people who have decided to wreck their video entry information for whatever reason.
Alright, I'm all for the locking now after reading all of phades last post and reading your post. Thnx!! ^_^

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:22 pm

So who's inbox do we flood when we have to correct something in the non-appendable section of the comments?

Return to “Site Announcements”