Video info more restricted over time

This forum is for site announcements. Please go here to read the SITE & FORUM RULES.

Video info more restricted over time

Postby Phade » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:29 pm

Hey,

Since there seems to be a rash of people flipping out and trying to blank out their past by overwriting their video entry information, the video description field now becomes append-only whenever the video entry becomes limited (meaning when you can’t change the anime and music information). This is (hopefully) a temporary fix while we find a better method of preventing people from trying to destroy database information.

In the mean time, we have been recovering information by using the web site www.archive.org which takes periodic snapshots of the internet. You can check out the snapshots they have of the Org to see what the site was like way back when.

I hope this helps. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Phade.

[paizuri: This issue has been resolved. The current functionality of the video comments is explained in this post.]
Phade
Site Admin

Re: Video info more restricted over time

Postby Scintilla » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:07 pm

Phade wrote:Since there seems to be a rash of people flipping out and trying to blank out their past by overwriting their video entry information,...

This is common? I thought it was just an isolated incident (with an editor who happens to fairly well-known).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Phade » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:40 pm

Hey,

It has happened often enough for it to be a problem for us.

Phade.
Phade
Site Admin

Postby SarahtheBoring » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:54 pm

So... once.

Good luck with the long-term solution, though. It's a shame that thousands of members have to be inconvenienced because of one guy's tantrum, but there has to be a good compromise out there. Ganbatte. 8-)
SarahtheBoring

Postby SuperFusion » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:08 pm

Wow. You people have a sick obsession with keeping data on every AMV ever existed. I wanna say "get a life," but that might get me banned
SuperFusion

Postby Flint the Dwarf » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:47 pm

SuperFusion, that's the entire point of this site. Data on every AMV that ever existed. Does it need to be pointed out the the admins on this site (excluding derobert :P ) have a life?
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.
Flint the Dwarf

Postby SuperFusion » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:51 pm

They sure don't act like they have a life.
SuperFusion

Postby Flint the Dwarf » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:04 am

Well, this is the internet, if you hadn't noticed. Would you rather the admins 'asl' and 'lol' everyone they see?
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.
Flint the Dwarf

Postby godix » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:17 am

So the video become append only after while. Fine but when exactly is this? Are we talking days or months here?
godix
a disturbed member

Postby Scintilla » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:27 am

godix wrote:So the video become append only after while. Fine but when exactly is this? Are we talking days or months here?

Phade wrote:Since there seems to be a rash of people flipping out and trying to blank out their past by overwriting their video entry information, the video description field now becomes append-only whenever the video entry becomes limited (meaning <b>when you can’t change the anime and music information</b>).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby godix » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:51 am

Scintilla wrote:
Phade wrote:(meaning <b>when you can’t change the anime and music information</b>).

And that would be when? Having never needed to change the anime/music info longer than the day after making the entry I don't know how long you can.
godix
a disturbed member

Postby Corran » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:01 am

Video information gets locked two weeks after the premiere I believe. And this happens more than you think.
Corran

Postby Jnzk » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:40 am

I can't say I like this decision. I often have the need to correct typos, fix links and add information to the top of the video info page. Hopefully a better solution will be coming.
Jnzk
Artsy Bastid

Postby AquaSky » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:50 am

Ditto on what Janzki said.
AquaSky
Master of Science

Postby bum » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:44 am

I dont mind the idea. Their should be a 7-14 day perios after a vids profile is iniciay entered or uploaded where the editor can freely change information. That should eb enough time for the editor to corect all info and make sure everything is right.

SuperFusion wrote:They sure don't act like they have a life.

That coming from someone who cuts up scenes from a kids cartoon and rearanges them in an attempt to fit with a song? Seriosly, if you want to be the pop culture stereotypical geek bashing type, this hoby, site and anything related to it has no place for you.
bum

Next

Return to Site Announcements