Herky Jerky Pans

rhkaloge
Org Profile

Herky Jerky Pans

Post by rhkaloge » Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:25 pm

Anyone else have problems with pans ending up being jumpy and kinda skippy after processing in Premiere? These are pans that occure in the clip, not pans I create with effects or anything. I have tried two methods - I used ErMaCs guides to use DVDs in Premiere, and used the Premiere Always Deinterlace option, then I tried using Virtualdub and converting the clip to huffyuv and using the deinterlace filter. I suspect it may have something to do with the deinterlacing, as it it looks fine interlaced, but it's, well, interlaced. Anyone has suggestions on how to make pans look smoother?

Thanks;
Skippy

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:30 pm

This probably isn't it and if it isn't then I can't really provide much advice since I don't have premiere. I had a similar problem with a video of mine a few weeks ago. However for some reason all the interlacing problem was removed after I closed the file and reopened it. God knows why but it did fix the problem. But is this just pans in your video or is it throughout?
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:44 pm

Depending on the pan you could just take several key frames and knit them together in Photoshop and then pan across that. A lot of times you can spot jerkiness even while the DVD's playing, and I see it occuring in everyone's vids (no matter how skilled), so that method may be your best bet. Even better if you can do the pan in After Effects and turn on motion blur, as that smooths it out even more.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:54 pm

Well I am going to guess it's something with messed up fields. Maybe the fields are reversed???

Have you tried IVTCing the footage first?

I personally wouldn't use any de-interlacing that Premiere provides, it's just plain crappy.

~klinky

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:21 am

Choppyness when you are playing it back in premiere, or when you export it and play it? If its while your working in premiere, your computer may just not be fast enough, so try exporting it to divx or something and see if it plays fine.
If not, you've probly got some sort of framerate problem. Open your source clip in whatever media player you use, does it look choppy? What framerate is the source clip? Is your premiere project at the same framerate? If not, then thats your problem.

aluminumstudios
Org Profile

Post by aluminumstudios » Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:47 am

Under your export settings in premiere, look under keyframe and redering options and make sure premiere isn't trying to treat the video as interlaced (with a dominanet upper or lower field.) Even using progressive (non-interlaced footage), that has tripped me up int he past.

Also, it softens the image quite a bit, but have you tried right clicking on the clip that has the pan and selecting "flicker removal" from the interlace options? <sorry, I foget exactly how these things are worded, I'm at work right now and away from Premiere.)
~William Milberry
Aluminum Studios
http://www.aluminumstudios.com

Return to “Video & Audio Help”