Anime Episode Discussion section renovation

paizuri
Org Profile

Anime Episode Discussion section renovation

Post by paizuri » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:25 pm

According to the results of this poll, we are changing the focus of the Anime Episode Discussion section. It will now be renamed to Anime Series Discussion and is the place to go to if you would like to discuss, speculate or otherwise comment on all things pertaining to a certain series.

Regular users will not be able to create threads in this section, but will be able to reply to existing threads. There will be an open thread for people to request that a series thread be created and a moderator will check to see that there isn't an existing unlocked thread for that show and create a new one if necessary. I intend to have a separate Table of Contents thread with quick links to current and *optimistically* all past threads also, but that may take a little time to compile the entire list.

If users are particularly attached to existing comprehensive threads on a particular series in either the ASD or General Anime section, they can also identify those threads as candidates for the ASD section and, pending approval, those threads may be moved to the new ASD section.

The goal of the ASD is to provide a convenient place for people to talk about certain shows without having to dig through the General Anime section to find it. General Anime should still be used to discuss anime in a general sense, such as licensing announcements or common aspects found in multiple shows and other general topics.

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:52 pm

Okay, I have unlocked the section. It may look pretty strange with all of those locked threads, but that should change as people suggest new ones. Please post your thread suggestions in this thread.

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:43 pm

Moonlight Soldier informed me that she saw through my evil plot of locking the request thread so no one else can post in it so I have unlocked it.

Sorry for the inconvenience. :oops:

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:47 pm

I was wondering why that was locked!
ImageImage

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:13 pm

angelx03 wrote:I was wondering why that was locked!
Paizuri's trixy that way.

Calim
Org Profile

Post by Calim » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:17 am

Why has this been done? I mean other then the fact that people create stupid and useless threads that can be easily deleted. Well?
"Ass's are important in todays society, but....." -By Knuckles
FUNimation Kills my innerchild
Shippo is the PIMP of all foxes ^^.
Shippo Fan Club Member

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:10 am

Calim wrote:Why has this been done? I mean other then the fact that people create stupid and useless threads that can be easily deleted. Well?
Well, paizuri mentions it in the poll - the Episode Discussion forum kinda turned into a bit of a madhouse, and the vast majority of those who answered the poll (23 out of 26) thought it should be revamped.

The reason the forum was originally created was so people could discuss specific episodes, and save people from being spoiled. However, people didn't follow the rules, thread topics weren't written correctly (describing certain things in the episode instead of the anime and ep # as I believe the original rule was), etc.

So, this way, instead of the possibility of, say, multiple Fullmetal Alchemist threads, there's only one. Instead of a bajillion Naruto/DBZ threads, there's one. Hopefully, this forum will be used to discuss specific anime, which will clear up General Anime for discussions on themes, aspects of the culture, and more novella-long posts by OtakuMan.

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:42 am

/salute

Calim
Org Profile

Post by Calim » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:59 am

Yeah but what if you just want to talk about one thing? Or look for something specific about something in say 'FullMetal Alchemist' I mean thats going to be alot of looking and searching even with the search items. Plus keeping up with people posting will be like hell I'm not saying this is a bad idea at first I was annoyed about it but I think its an actually good idea but we shouldn't just limit it too the series.

My suggestion would be something like this:

FMA: Episodes 1-15
FMA: Episodes 16-30
FMA: Episodes 31-45
FMA: Alphonse
FMA: Ed

Things like that it would make searching for something specific you want to know about something in the series less hectic because you'll have organized topics setup. Just an suggestion but I think it would work pretty well.
"Ass's are important in todays society, but....." -By Knuckles
FUNimation Kills my innerchild
Shippo is the PIMP of all foxes ^^.
Shippo Fan Club Member

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:01 pm

Calim wrote:Yeah but what if you just want to talk about one thing? Or look for something specific about something in say 'FullMetal Alchemist' I mean thats going to be alot of looking and searching even with the search items. Plus keeping up with people posting will be like hell I'm not saying this is a bad idea at first I was annoyed about it but I think its an actually good idea but we shouldn't just limit it too the series.

My suggestion would be something like this:

FMA: Episodes 1-15
FMA: Episodes 16-30
FMA: Episodes 31-45
FMA: Alphonse
FMA: Ed

Things like that it would make searching for something specific you want to know about something in the series less hectic because you'll have organized topics setup. Just an suggestion but I think it would work pretty well.
So...instead of having one large general topic about the entire series, you would want multiple threads for the same series based on episodes, characters, and other things? How is this less complicated or easier to maintain or find things than having to search through a list that would have less items in it to begin with?

As was evidenced with the original version of the AED, people oftentimes do not know or do not bother to figure out what episodes they are talking about according to its number. It is not entirely their faults either since, if they were watching Cartoon Network, they probably didn't know the episode numbers to begin with. And, if I use your FMA example, wouldn't it be more confusing to have to decide whether or not to talk about Ed or Al in their own character threads or to talk about something that might have happened to them in certain episodes in the episode threads?

I appreciate the suggestion, but with the section revamp I am mainly trying for two things: 1) ease of use and 2) ease of maintenance.

Instead of having to search of episode numbers to figure out which is the correct thread to post in, there will only be one thread that covers the entire series. Also, there is a handy table of contents thread which you can use to find the threads in case they don't happen to be on the first page or two.

Yes, this requires a little more maintenance on the part of the moderators in terms of monitoring the request thread and creating new series threads when asked, as well as keeping the Table of Contents thread updated, but hopefully we will have to do less thread moving/locking because people were not posting threads correctly in the section.

Return to “Site Announcements”