AFO6 AMV Contest results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
efathefinger
Org Profile

AFO6 AMV Contest results

Post by efathefinger » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:44 am

The results from Anime Festival Orlando 6's AMV contest are in and I'd like to congratulate the winners:

Runner Up - Action - Devon Maxwell/Boiwondr - Jamiroquai/Supersonic - Macross Zero
Winner - Action - Bryan Carmella/Gene Starwind - Metallica/Of Wolf and Man - Wolf's Rain
Runner Up - Comedy/Parody - Mark Viola/Marlex - The Order Movie Trailer - Hellsing
Winner - Comedy/Parody - Joslyn FitzGerald/AquaSky Productions - Clerks X/The Flying Car - Descendants of Darkness
Runner Up - Drama/Romance - DQ'ed. Don't ask.
Winner - Drama/Romance - Joslyn FitzGerald/AquaSky Productions - Mary McGlynn/Room of Angel - Le Portait de Petit Cossette
Best of Show - Cliff Medina/Fujikoma - BT/Communicate - Voices of a Distant Star

I'd like to thank all of my contestants and also to give a big thank you to Brandon Baity / Nanashi Studios. He took 2 one hour panels on AMV 101 and AMV Critique and made a 5 hour panel about everything AMV. Thank you!

See everyone next year!

Eric Wampner

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:41 am

Well I had a great time down there. I would like to congratulate the other winners and all the runners up. Everyone else that entered the contest you did a nice job too. Keep up the good work. I look forward to next years contest.

Gene Starwind 21122

XXXShin
Org Profile

rock!

Post by XXXShin » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:09 pm

Cliff here, I had a great time! There were a lot of great videos this year! I can't wait for next year :D Keep up the great work!
XXXShin

Marlex
Org Profile

Post by Marlex » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:03 pm

It was a fun convention as usual. The contest had the usual mix of videos, but Joslyn kicked butt, especially with your Flying Car video.
It was an honor just to come in second behind that one.

One suggestion for the organizers for next year though, if you're going to show the videos on a random basis, it would probably be a good idea to have only one video per creator on the list. I saw three videos with the same studio title. I don't know it they were done by one creator or multiple, but if it was just one guy who got three videos shown and some people didn't get any videos shown, you should probably limit it.

I would like to commend the professionalism shown during the contest, such as when some idiot turned on the lights during a video, you just started it over once it was dark again.

I'll be back next year.
Newest Videos:
Various - The Anime Aristocrats Evangelion - Eva Brothers

AquaSky
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by AquaSky » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:21 pm

Indeed, congrats to all the winners, runners-up, and entrants. It was a good show this year. Marlex, IIRC, Eric had mentioned that very few videos had to be cut for time's sake since they had a good-sized slot for the contest. And I agree about the professionalism, that was definitely a nice thing to do for that video. AFO's certainly one of my favorite conventions, and I look forward to next year.

XXXShin
Org Profile

Post by XXXShin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:20 am

Joslyn's Clerks X video was awesome. I haven't seen anything that funny in a long time.
XXXShin

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:50 am

I do agree the Flying Car commerical was halirous. It was wrong, and very creative.

efathefinger
Org Profile

Post by efathefinger » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:27 am

The majority of the video's cut were actually for failure to follow the posted contest rules, specifically the contest is for AFO members only.

I cut one remaining video out of the contest, the video quality of it was low, and it was also close on the language issue. That editor still had two videos in the contest.

As for the lighting issue, stuff happens, and Ken Nabbe made the call and restarted the video. Thats why I ask him to jockey the show. :-)

Congrats again, it sounds like everybody had a great time.

Marlex
Org Profile

Post by Marlex » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:44 am

That's fine. I wasn't accusing you. I was just worried somebody might have been left out and was offering a suggestion. You run a good contest. Like I said before, I'll be back next year.
Newest Videos:
Various - The Anime Aristocrats Evangelion - Eva Brothers

Soul Bro Ryu
Org Profile

Post by Soul Bro Ryu » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:41 am

efathefinger wrote: As for the lighting issue, stuff happens, and Ken Nabbe made the call and restarted the video. Thats why I ask him to jockey the show. :-)

Congrats again, it sounds like everybody had a great time.
And here I was, holding a grudge against the man (Nabbe) about what happened at JACON when none of my friend's videos were shown. Then, at AFO6, the lights were turned on during my vid (the Gungrave one) and he starts my video over once things return to normal.

Wild. I've gotta' say that I'm torn, but much props to him for making the call, especially since you guys were on a time crunch with Closing Ceremonies hot on the heels of the contest.

Congrats to the winners; you three really put in work on those and here's hoping that you give those other guys a run for their money at AWA (if they're being entered there). Especially Bryan and Joslyn, who were awfully nicer to me than a cat like myself deserves. Dap goes out to Marlex too, who I met for the first time at the "Class of '03" (aka - the AFO4 AMV contest), my first competition. My Meeting and reuniting with all of you is always a treat and I learn something each time, which is a priceless bonus.

To Brandon, much love goes to him and the hours he clocked in the AMV room sharing his wisdom and opinions. I ran into him later and my other friends in the AMV contest (Devon & Leroy) drank with him as he dropped more gems on us about AMVs and life in general. He's cool people and I hope to shoot the sh!t with him again.

Finally to Eric, our gracious emcee, infinite thanks goes out to you for the venue and the gracuous treatment of our videos. So far, AFO has been my favorite convention to submit videos to, and with folks like you running it, there's no doubt as to why. You didn't even have to treat us to breakfast or RSVP us for the Wasabi party - but you did, and that was above and beyond what I had expected. You're a stand-up guy, man, and don't let anyone tell you different.

That's enough gushing out me, but I had a blast and I look forward to the next episode. ^_^

Another time,
Max
"Years ago, a friend told me something. That if you play rock, you die at 27. Janis Joplin. Jim Morrison. Jimi Hendrix. So I figured, hell, I'll die at 27 too...but then my 28th birthday came and passed. I was disappointed...shit, I wasn't a rocker after all...but there are tons of grey-haired skeletons out there with canes out there still rocking hard. So I took that way of thinking that death was something cool...and tossed it."
Kenji Endou, "20th Century Boys"

Return to “AMV Contests”