What you think i should upgrade in my comp?

mckeed
Org Profile

Post by mckeed » Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:03 pm

if you are getting a dv500 then i would go for the hard drive.....100+GB aren't that expensive anymore....but if your going to do any serious capturing in high quality, get a RAID card and smaller HD's....like two 80GB's and a RAID card and stripe them so you can keep up with the capture at the highest quality level.....I would say that would be the most importnat.....you could VOB edit as well, and you'd need the space anyway for that. Having a seperate hard drive for video storage will boost your performance while editing. Either way you need another hard drive for optimal performance.
"People can not gain anything without putting forth any effort. That is the absolute Truth" - Dante, Full Metal Alchemist

DuoEnigma
Org Profile

Post by DuoEnigma » Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:24 pm

Thats what i am planning to do get a other HD for the captures. Anything else?

mckeed
Org Profile

Post by mckeed » Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:43 pm

with your current setup i wouldn't really upgrade anything that you can't take to a new computer when you do the big upgrade. You could allways drop some phat cash on a second monitor or a card that supports a second monitor....i personally use two monitors and a TV in my setup. My rt2500 renders the preview window to the TV so i can see exactly how it looks and i put my windows that are allways on top on the second monitor which gives me lots of space for the timeline, which gets big. My most recent project had 7 video layers and two audio tracks.....when you expand them they get pretty large and i like to see all of what is going on without scrolling and since my preview window is on a TV i make that small so it gives me lots of space to have multiple clip windows open. Matrox has a tripple head card out now that is pretty cool.....has a surround gaming option on it as well that uses all three monitors....drool....that is my next purchase. Finally get use of the 15"er sitting in my closet. You could get a nice VCR as well for outputting to tape, small TV...they are pretty cheap now. Those are my suggestions
"People can not gain anything without putting forth any effort. That is the absolute Truth" - Dante, Full Metal Alchemist

DuoEnigma
Org Profile

Post by DuoEnigma » Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:52 am

damn thats a lot of sh**, how much did all that cost?

mckeed
Org Profile

Post by mckeed » Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:13 pm

how much does it cost....hmmmm....i'm not sure off the top of my head...it depends on what you get and what not.....little TV i got was 80, its like 10" or so, the nice JVC super VHS VCR was 200 when i bought it 3 years ago(its the one most of the cons use to display stuff) and its stil pretty much top of the line. Monitor can varry depending on what brand and size and what not...i have a 19" that came with my system and a 17" triniton i got when i upgraded my mom to a TFT...i knw 15" TFT runs about 400 for a decent one now-a-days and i got a 15" triniton in my closet which i might swap the TV for since the monitor's got better picture of course, just need a converter...the new matrox card which is totally l33t for graphics work and decent for gaming is $400, but that should come down....you can get a normal dual head g450 for around 120 if you know where to look....aint the best for games, but it does ok. Do some looking at bestbuy.com and stuff for the VCR and TV. I would opt for the best VCR you can find...make sure it has S-Video inputs or it isn't worth getting.

TV=~100
VCR=~180
dual head is 120
tripple head l33t 400 can find it oem for around 300, but bear in mind surrond gaming.....go to the http://www.matrox.com site to see what i mean.....it'll make you drool.

My next purchase is going to be the tripple head card....waiting for that to come down a bit

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:13 pm

I think the best upgrade, as far as ENCODING/ Editing videos goes would be a new hard drive (preferably an 8mb cache/ 7200rpm one like the new Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 60gb at googlegear.com... http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDe ... ode=100621 or the WDD SE version drives), new RAM (128-bit DDR if your motherboard can support it... else you can settle for 32-bit RDRAM... or slower 32/64-bit DDR) or just a new mobo/ ram combo. I suggest you just hold off till early 2003 for Nforce 2 since it supports duel ram paging (if you have like 2 512mb chips) and such with 128-bit DDR.

a new GFX card can help with DECODING but only capture cards (gfx card if you have like an AllinWonder...) help with ENCODING.

also (though it's pointless over the short run...) suggest you pick up one of those new SB Audigy 2's in October. You may not encode anything over 48khz for a bit (or even 44khz for those ppl who aren't even SB compatible yet...) but the 96khz option can be really nice for HQ cuts (yes there are other 96khz cards out, Terratech 6-fire I believe among others, but the SB Audigy 2 will be huge!)

Return to “Hardware Discussion”