Videos Using Shoujo Anime

This forum is for people to list AMVs made by others that they believe to be the best in their field.
AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Videos Using Shoujo Anime

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:09 am

This thread is for recommending the very best amvs that primarliy use the shoujo anime (anime for girls) or contain shoujo themes.

Please follow the rules for posting in the recommended videos forum. Any posts breaking these rules will be removed.

One post per person, please.

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:08 am

I hate to jump in first, but nobody else was biting.

Several Sailor Moon ones came to mind first, but this series is my favorite and I try to keep up with AMVs from it, so... that's what I'm gonna do. Also with an eye toward shoujoness, if possible (there are other great ones that aren't as shoujofied). So Revolutionary Girl Utena is the series for all of these.

Movie

Just a classic. One of my first exposures to the movie, and probably many other people's as well. Trippy with an undercurrent of epic, which is very fitting. I just couldn't start off a list of SKU Movie videos without listing this one.

Action, drama, lofty goals, more drama, lots of drive, and one of my favorite AMV openings, a roll call that taps into the series' emphasis on archetypes. Almost a dance video; it's very high-energy. I wouldn't have expected a treatment like this for a relatively relaxed-pace film.

TTSM compounds the already odd imagery of the movie to create a disorienting, dreamlike effect, and (as explained in the video info) also sets up a constructed reality that is much more fatalistic than that of the movie itself. And of course the music is gorgeous. Simply put, it's beautifully done. You really have to see this if you haven't yet.

Series

Though Evanescence videos have a bad reputation, you have to put that aside for this. Utena and Anthy's story is very bleak by the end of the series, and this is a powerful statement of it. Anthy's verse still gives me chills, and I've seen this dozens of times. It combines the series and movie in a way I've never seen before or since and, as a bonus, does so with little more than very fast cuts, if I'm not mistaken. It draws parallels between the images that you probably didn't even realize were there; it's very striking and really accentuates the best imagery of both titles. Very, very spoilery, but otherwise another must-see.

Recent, but I think it'll hold up. A profile of a very difficult character to pin down, a highly unsympathetic narrator, not a whole lot of screen time - and you'd never know it, watching this. I'm impressed that this could even be made, let alone made so well. Akio is the snake-in-the-grass kind of antagonist, slithering right up with evil intent that nobody sees until it's too late, and this hits that spot-on. It also takes a very harsh view of the hero, which is unusual, though necessary considering the narrator. Good for fans of interpersonal drama; it suggests lots of further intrigue without being too vague or giving too much away.

Sonydjsnmix
Org Profile

Post by Sonydjsnmix » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:38 pm

It's a Kodomo No Omocha amv with Avril Lavigne's Skater Boy song.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:58 pm

well a multi-genre amv, but it IS a shoujo, JCD's Eurofire done to Mai Hime. But beware, the guy has an UNCANNY memory ;p!

and how can I forget my favorite fangirl video, Jaddziadax's Pocket Change done to Fruits Basket. You'll be hard pressed to find a better one!
Last edited by Knowname on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trinigal
Org Profile

Post by trinigal » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:40 am

People have probably seen this AMV a million times already,but its still my favorite one, i just really enjoyed this video because there's not a lot of character profiles for Sailor mercury. :roll:

BEXXX
Org Profile

Post by BEXXX » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:59 pm

I really enjoy watching this video:

The song is beautiful and really captures the feelings of the characters in the video, who struggle through difficult experiences. Also, the music is timed perfectly with the video.

I highly recommend this video to anyone

sevia121
Org Profile

recommended

Post by sevia121 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:43 pm

This was the first AMV i saw probably over a year ago from another site. I Fell in love with it-> i imediately started reading the manga after seeing the movie... and got the song Don't think of me by dido.

The music video is really dramatic. It doesn't really follow the storyline of Fushigi Yuugi, but it is a great seller. The lyrics go directly with the video and one can see that every image is carefully planned out and put together.

prettysoldiersailormoon
Org Profile

Post by prettysoldiersailormoon » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:03 am

If you don't watch this video, you're are missing out big time! This is very, very, very good! And it's her first amv! It's so good! The unique combination of song and anime is so weird it makes it good! Go get it now and don't forget to leave an opinion!

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:58 pm

Once upon a December from the Anaztasia Sound track... its the pop version, cant remember the artist? was it Alleiah (sp?)

either way its Princess Tutu and I donno how you can get more "girley" than ballerinas lmao... but in its field (as in anime title) i think its one of the best for Tutu...
Last edited by JaddziaDax on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Recommended AMVs”