Anime Mid-Atlantic AMV results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Brakus
Org Profile

Anime Mid-Atlantic AMV results

Post by Brakus » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:40 pm

Winners in each category were determined by audience vote. Also, there was one Judge's Award. Unfortunately, my entries in Action and Drama did not finish in the money in either category.

Drama/Romance
3rd: "Under Pressure", Verity Caron
2nd: "Ballad For Two", Danny Jun
1st: "Into the Fire", Laurent Clermidy

Action/Horror
3rd: "Digi-X", Steve Leu
2nd: "It's Time to Party", Adam Porrovecchio
1st: "Das Omen", Laurent Clermidy

Comedy/Parody
3rd: "Taijitsu for Dummies", Justin Corriveau
2nd: "Body Movin'", Dan Orlowitz
1st: "What Lain Bought on Ebay", Raymond Rabke

"Das Omen" won the Judge's Award. Still goes to show you, videos with (well-used) After Effects still win contests more often than those that don't (use them at all).

However, the contest was MUCH BETTER RUN this year, and the entries for the most part were worlds better than previous years. Things are looking up for Anime Mid-Atlantic's AMV contests, if the quality of the entries and the presentation of this year's contest will carry on in the future.

More details will be forthcoming from the contest organizers very soon.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:08 pm

Congrats to all the winners. I was at all of the screenings and I have to say the contest looked and sounded great. The way they did the intro for the contest and for the videos were great as well. This was a nice job by the Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Staff. As for the contest it was really close fort the most part and I enjoyed it alot. Thanks to all that were at the contest and supported my videos.

Gene Starwind 21122

dcdeveloperx
Org Profile

Post by dcdeveloperx » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:09 pm

Damn Beautiful Lie didnt win :( , but on the upside a fellow studio member, burntoast (Danny), got 2nd in drama. Good times 8-)
Newest Video: Alone

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Re: Anime Mid-Atlantic AMV results

Post by dwchang » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:09 pm

Brakus wrote:"Das Omen" won the Judge's Award. Still goes to show you, videos with (well-used) After Effects still win contests more often than those that don't (use them at all).
What is your beef with After Effects? Does it pain you to just say "Congratulations to the winners!" and not sound so bitter?

Here's a simple formula:

GOOD AND WELL-MADE VIDEOS WIN AWARDS*

*APPROPRIATE use of effects is a bonus

...and with that, Congratulations to the winners! I've seen a number of them and the Drama Winner in particular is one of my favorite Kenshin OVA videos.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:22 pm

I have to agree with you about Into the Fire. When I first saw that vid I noticed the story book type thing, that Laurent Clermidy had in the beginning, it was awsome. It had Kenshin as a kid and the story as he grew up and to the present.

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:34 pm

Brakus is entitled to his opinion and he said the entries were worlds better than previous years. Um...is that an insult to anyone who submitted before? I see it as a compliment to the people in this years contest. Let's look at it in a positive way.

And the contest WAS really good. Not to mention how awesome it looked and sounded. The staff did an excellent job of running the contest.

I did hear some horror stories of years past...and even though I wasn't there, I can tell they obviously improved. In my opinion, it sounded as good as any screening room at Otakon even. When my video played, I seriously think people on the other side of the hotel heard the two bass beats.

Maybe more of the editors will come to the con next year ^-^ The creator's seating was...lonely....so alone..... :wink:

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:28 am

Congrats to the winners ^_^

Did Mai-Reason play at this con? I'm pretty sure I submited to AMA.. I think.... It wouldve been in drama with the anime Mai-Hime and the song My Reason. If so how was crowd reaction?

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:39 am

You don't know if you sent it in? O_0 I remember that one playing. Like I said, every video was well received. It's always annoying at cons when some ( i.e. big mouth) people in the audience prejudge the video based on the song and/or anime. The audience was very well behaved for them all. Everybody had a good time.

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:47 am

Hmmm, I never realized that there was one or two people that actually agree with me about the effects comments. It's only natural for someone not to win to feel disappointed initially. I mean, this too shall pass and other contests will come and go. Please don't think that I'm holding any grudges against the winners.... 'cause they all did some good work.

Here is the most surprising thing about my entries this weekend... when I told some people that I made the Spriggan video, they said they were extremely impressed with my video. Some of them said that even though they didn't vote for me, I was able to make a convincing video putting together Madonna with Spriggan. I distinctly remember running into the person that yelled "Huh? Madonna?" at Friday's showing... he too was skeptical, but he told me he didn't believe how I could put together a really good video like that. Bottom line -- even though they didn't vote for me, they still really liked my work.

So if I haven't said it before, here I go: Congratulations to everybody who entered! You all did a fine job.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:35 am

:oops:

Wow, I just watched Body Movin' yesterday and thought how great it was.

Congrats to all the winners! I wish I could have attended, but I barely have the money scraped together for AWA.

(btw: no After Effects here. :D )
Life's short.
eBayhard.

Return to “AMV Contests”