Sakura-Con 2003 AMV/OVA Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Hitori
Org Profile

Post by Hitori » Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:07 am

And it's stuff like that..... That almost always taint the meter results... :evil:
ImageImage

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:48 am

Both the AX-style audience meter and the Otakon-style single vote paper ballots are flawed in many ways - you just have to decide which you think is the lesser of evils.

[hint: condorcet paper ballots :)]

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:09 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Both the AX-style audience meter and the Otakon-style single vote paper ballots are flawed in many ways - you just have to decide which you think is the lesser of evils.
Exactly my point. And with the sound metering, it doesn't have to be anything like paying for applause. If a group from a local anime club shows up, it's natural that they would help out a friend who has entered the contest. Or maybe there's a group of fanatics for some particular anime (as I saw happen at a previous Sakura-Con contest).

I'd like to see a contest try to handle voting by wireless LAN. The contest sets up a server, and the only people who can vote are those who bring their own wireless-enabled PDAs or laptops. This may be more feasible in the future, but who knows.

CArnesen
Org Profile

Post by CArnesen » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:25 pm

TaranT wrote:I'd like to see a contest try to handle voting by wireless LAN. The contest sets up a server, and the only people who can vote are those who bring their own wireless-enabled PDAs or laptops. This may be more feasible in the future, but who knows.
That would be evil :twisted:, especially since I'm a major WiFi enthusiast. Though it wouldn't be hard to set up a DHCP server and a small web server running a simple voting script. But then you'll have the problem of people complaining, "the Access Point couldn't see my PDA, why not use ballots or an applause meter?" And then we would be at the beginning...

:cry:

Oh well...
--Chris ^_^

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:31 pm

Here's a concept: a screening without a contest/winners.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:39 pm

TaranT wrote:I'd like to see a contest try to handle voting by wireless LAN. The contest sets up a server, and the only people who can vote are those who bring their own wireless-enabled PDAs or laptops. This may be more feasible in the future, but who knows.
OK, so we can throw away the mob for elitism :lol:

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:55 pm

I would say the voting ballot is less flawed, the amount of lurking varialbes involved would be far less than the applause meter.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:54 pm

Give everyone a cudgel.
The last 20 or so people standing get to decide the winners.
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

Marlex
Org Profile

Post by Marlex » Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:48 pm

I don't have any experience with Applause meters and don't know how they work, and I have no plans of entering Sakura Con's contest, but from what I have seen at cons that I have gone to, any vids with Gundam Wing Pilots, Van from Escaflowne, Final Fantasy characters, or the like will greatly skewed the results. Believe me, those girls can make some noise.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:33 am

Marlex wrote:I don't have any experience with Applause meters and don't know how they work, and I have no plans of entering Sakura Con's contest, but from what I have seen at cons that I have gone to, any vids with Gundam Wing Pilots, Van from Escaflowne, Final Fantasy characters, or the like will greatly skewed the results. Believe me, those girls can make some noise.
In my experience it was Fushigi Yuugi and it was earbusting. A high-frequency cutoff filter might help...or a carefully placed wad of used chewing gum.
AbsoluteDestiny wrote:OK, so we can throw away the mob for elitism
Sounds good to me! :o But CArnesen is right: most people don't have the devices (yet?), although a laptop could be shared.

Here's a scenario for the future (?): the contest server is basically just a router to get audience members' laptops onto the Net. Voting takes place by posting messages to a special topic at a-m-v.org - or maybe a Yahoo polling area. Contest results evolve in (mostly) real time where the world can watch.
jbone wrote:Here's a concept: a screening without a contest/winners.
Another good idea. Or skip the audience vote and say that every finalist is a winner just for making it to the finals.

Or...go with the sound meter. Everybody knows it's flawed, but audiences seem to have fun with it that way.

Return to “AMV Contests”