Just a thought... maybe

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Garylisk
Org Profile

Just a thought... maybe

Post by Garylisk » Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:19 pm

Heya...
Theoretically speaking, if I were to set up a Direct Connect hub exclusively for AMV people to share AMVs and anime mp3's and the like, how many of you out there would get on the hub and hang out? It'd be fun. Share files, chat real-time, etc...

Just wondering if anyone out there had thought of this already or if anyone out there is interested? I've always thought it would be a cool idea.

Consequently, I'm configuring Direct Connect hub software right now ;)
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:39 pm

The same thing can be accomplished through AIM or IRC, and it already is.

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:07 pm

*searches desperately for the "search" button in his IRC client*

Nope, appearently not.

*checks to see how many people on his AIM list have files shared*

Gee, I dunno... There seems to be no filesharing option...

*Looks to see how many of the users on his ICQ list are using the ICQ fileshare feature*

Wow, none.

Well then, sorry to have posted this useless message. Appearently everything in the realtime chat and filesharing world is good and well.

Tally ho!

</horendous_sarcasm>

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:10 pm

ANd now for a serious post...

If you don't have anything constructive to say other than "You're an idiot, Garylisk." is so many words, don't post a reply. If there's no interest, nobody will post anything and the damn thread will die.

Did you ever think of that?

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:24 pm

Well that's not a bad idea... but you can share files with other things. I know I can share files with ICQ so I assume you can do the same with AIM and IRC. And I have actually used it but only once. So yeah I would prolly check it out.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

phantom_112
Org Profile

Post by phantom_112 » Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:31 pm

Well thats a good idea, too bad I have never used Direct Connect... More of an IRC person I guess... but most of use can only upload lets say 60-70 kps, and thats the max... so if you have like 5 people downloading from you its going to be slow as Shiet.... And if anyone is like me, they hate their bandwidth being taken up... cant playing Online games etc etc...

But thats just my 2 cents....
supersai45: -makes a fist with hands-
phant112: what else do you make fists with?

thejugglinman23: it doesnt cost me anything to play with myself

AMVUserII
Org Profile

Post by AMVUserII » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:06 pm

Well to be honest I myself have discussed that would Phade and he said that if it was to be an official www.AnimeMusicVideos.org Hub it would have to only limit sharing to AMVs catolouged on this site only.

I believe thats what he said. That means no Mp3s, no Anime. Just Videos catalogued on this site.

I myself have volunteered to make an a-m-v.org Hub and have been working on it on and off my main problem has been writing a script for limiting sharing to only AMVs on this site. Something like that has to be updated constantly.

So i'm trying to run a Beta a-m-v.org Hub and see how that works. If you wanna help me out with that I most appreciate the help.

This is a hefty job after all.
-Next Generation Films Inc. (NGF)

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:15 pm

Yeah well, I wasn't thinking anything "official" since I figured that would probably annoy Phade (Seeing as he got pretty annoyed at a-m-v.org hats and a-m-v.org shirts etc... heh)

I will say that having an official hub would be cool, but hell, just an unofficial one would be cool enough to have us all on there trading AMV's.

And about bandwidth restrictions, you can limit how many simultaneous uploads/downloads.

And another plus is that it's easier than sharing files on IRC through a file server, it's a lot more convinient than ICQ filesharing becuase you don't have to have the person who you are sharing files with on any sort of "user list", and no AIM does not have file sharing capabilities.

I figure DC is the best idea since it would gather all us a-m-v.org people to one place for trading and chat, without any outsiders sharing stupid files. In other words, the fact that its only us on there would be enough of a filer in my mind.

To limit it to just AMVs on this site is going a bit too far, but users themselves can certainly limit themselves to sharing only their AMV folder or folders.

And then of course, I like trading and sharing anime mp3's too since osme are somewhat hard to find. (Shiroi Yami no Naka sound familiar? :P I finally got that mp3 after searching for ages heh)

Oh well, like I said, it was just an idea.

I'm running the hub anyway for sh*ts and grins even though I have a dynamic IP. :P it's at 199.217.231.36 if you wanna hop on there. *shrugs*

ZeWrestler
The Big Ragu
Org Profile

Post by ZeWrestler » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:24 pm

i think it would be a good idea. now i just need to find time to go on direct connect again (havn't been there since i finished getting scryed)
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music~Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation

Beef
Org Profile

Post by Beef » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:36 pm

Not a bad Idea, it would be great for the people who cannot host their videos.
http://www.sakkakustudios.com - Witness the Illusion
<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... r_id=16354" target="_blank" class="postlink">ORG Profile</a>

Return to “General AMV”