After the VERY long wait... Dragon Bebop Z is now available!

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:26 pm

FirestormXIII wrote:The idea is that it's not supposed to be about victory, it's supposed to be about sharing your creation, getting it into a contest, and seeing it on the big screen. Anything that comes after that is just a pat on the back for having something that was good. There's also quite a few people (including judges) that travel to most of the bigger cons anyway; so if your video plays at all of them, it's going to get played out and boring to people. And if you go to all those cons and 'win', it just makes it look like you let 'winning' go to your head and take the place of AMVs themselves. In short, it makes you look like a jackhole, and a troll to boot. It's not like you get a million dollars for winning a contest anyway.

This whole 'I have to win' thing is a trend I'm seeing with newer creators, and I personally think it's kind of sad. It's the making (and seeing) of AMVs that is really supposed to be for your enjoyment, not the aftermath of your AMVs.
[nods]

phantom_112
Org Profile

Post by phantom_112 » Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:42 pm

Damn crap... Download doesnt want to work for me... pausing and whatnot...
supersai45: -makes a fist with hands-
phant112: what else do you make fists with?

thejugglinman23: it doesnt cost me anything to play with myself

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:44 pm

phantom_112 wrote:Damn crap... Download doesnt want to work for me... pausing and whatnot...
Uploading to the backup server as we speak...
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

TheRealNeoHentaiMaster
Org Profile

I see

Post by TheRealNeoHentaiMaster » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:55 pm

I definately understand where you're coming from but I still wouldnt hold anything against people for sending it to a lot of cons. I mean, you said the point was to just show it to people right? Well, if thats your goal than even more reason to send to a lot of cons.
Also, I dont see the "need to win" thing has so sad though, since it can be a driving force for people to work harder to create better vids. So maybe the motivation is kinda vain, but the outcome can be positive non the less.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:07 pm

The people who make the best videos are driven by inspiration and imagination.

The people who make the drek which just looks like everything else are driven by the perspiration of wanting to win awards. :-P

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:54 pm

Damn, the backup server is slow as hell.... :x

How much kps you guys getting off it? I'm getting 25kps...

TheRealNeoHentaiMaster
Org Profile

Post by TheRealNeoHentaiMaster » Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:32 am

jbone wrote:The people who make the best videos are driven by inspiration and imagination.

The people who make the drek which just looks like everything else are driven by the perspiration of wanting to win awards. :-P
Though what you say may be true in some cases, I cant help but think you maybe generalizing a little too much. When I said before about how wanting to win makes people vids better I was reffereing to those that could see that in order to win, they would need to make something new and imaginative and not something seen before. There for, before just going and busting out a video, they might sit and think about what to do a little longer in order to come up with something truelly original that would stand out and win. Basically, its Economics 101, competition creates better quality for the consumer.

Once again im not saying any of you are wrong and I completely see your points, im just adding another side to the argument your looking over.

Scott A Melzer
Org Profile

Post by Scott A Melzer » Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:26 am

Trolling:

I think it's bad because there are just SO many videos being sent to conventions. It's an extreme problem, with cons like Otakon receiving approximately 8 hours worth of videos. A good chunk of those are videos that were sent to several, maybe even a dozen cons. It's out of control. I think it's just basic courtesy to not try to flood the cons with one video.

Also, how will cons be different? If everyone sends their videos to all the cons, then you'll have twenty contests that are 10 hours and everything is the same. What's the point? I, and many people, go to lots of different conventions during the year. I really don't want to see the same thing that I've already seen when I go to a new contest, which is really getting to be what happens. Leave some room for the new guy, huh?

Damn, neo. Those run-on sentences are a real pain to read.

Scott A Melzer
Org Profile

Post by Scott A Melzer » Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:30 am

D'oh!

I also meant to say that the video went over very well at PortConMaine, where it almost took first place. Everyone was very impressed with the work that went into it. I thought that some parts looked a bit still or jaggy, but overall it was a nice job. Very funny in parts, which is more important than the effects, right?

A convention like PortConMaine is a little different. As it was their first year, they were begging for submissions and would take practically anything, so you really can't fault him for entering!

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:07 pm

Thanks Scott, I'll probably be re-submitting to PortConMaine again next year as non-competing (Iserlohn got a non competing spot). Hopefully you guys get alot more videos :)

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”