Which ep of eva does shinji linten to his mp3 player...

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:35 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:At first, I was surprised they thought S-DAT would last well into that year, but then you have to think that the Second Impact occurs in 2001.

At the time they made Evangelion, CDs were still in its infancy, and no one had even considered DVD. Even though disc media could have been the future for Eva (and turned out to be our future), it's most likely that the cataclysmic destruction brought about by the Second Impact changed all of that.

By 2014, due to the loss of resources and major cities (not to mention these Angels that keep attacking :roll: ), kids probably weren't in jobs and couldn't afford to get anything high-tech like today.
CDs were in their infancy when Evangelion came out? That doesn't sound right. I remember seeing CD longboxes in music stores as early as 1985 and that's only because I never went into them before that. And my family bought our first CD player in 1987. Eva came out in what, 1995-96?
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:56 pm

paizuri wrote:CDs were in their infancy when Evangelion came out? That doesn't sound right. I remember seeing CD longboxes in music stores as early as 1985 and that's only because I never went into them before that. And my family bought our first CD player in 1987. Eva came out in what, 1995-96?
Well, the technology was here in the 80s, but CDs never took off early for the same reason most technology doesn't take off immediately: the technology in that era was very expensive.

It wasn't until around or after 1994 (when Evangelion came out) that CD Player prices dropped to the point that mid-range salary earners could afford to get one. Tape players were still considered the most economical (and recordable) media, though, just like when DVD machines premiered at high prices and everyone stick stuck by their VHS players until the prices came down.

So, by that logic, the Eva writers used their current viewpoint (of 1990-1993) to shape the future they were crafting out.

Since Shinji was most likely raised by a mid-range family (his teachers), they probably couldn't afford to give him more than a tape player and one tape, especially after the Second Impact and the aftermath that followed.

Because we didn't have such a global disaster, our future turned out differently -- DVDs are now economical and the standard of our market, but it took many years to get there.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Vegeta_ssj4
Org Profile

Post by Vegeta_ssj4 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:17 am

the frist eps then i think 5 eps then 8 eps

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:28 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:
paizuri wrote:CDs were in their infancy when Evangelion came out? That doesn't sound right. I remember seeing CD longboxes in music stores as early as 1985 and that's only because I never went into them before that. And my family bought our first CD player in 1987. Eva came out in what, 1995-96?
Well, the technology was here in the 80s, but CDs never took off early for the same reason most technology doesn't take off immediately: the technology in that era was very expensive.

It wasn't until around or after 1994 (when Evangelion came out) that CD Player prices dropped to the point that mid-range salary earners could afford to get one. Tape players were still considered the most economical (and recordable) media, though, just like when DVD machines premiered at high prices and everyone stick stuck by their VHS players until the prices came down.

So, by that logic, the Eva writers used their current viewpoint (of 1990-1993) to shape the future they were crafting out.

Since Shinji was most likely raised by a mid-range family (his teachers), they probably couldn't afford to give him more than a tape player and one tape, especially after the Second Impact and the aftermath that followed.

Because we didn't have such a global disaster, our future turned out differently -- DVDs are now economical and the standard of our market, but it took many years to get there.
I still contend that your non-usage of CDs in Eva theory is flawed. Your argument would be sound, but I think you have your facts wrong.

First of all, it really doesn't matter if CDs hadn't taken off in the United States since the series writers were in Japan, which is a completely different story. Although according to this website, 28% of US households had CD players in 1990, which concides more with my version of CD popularity.

Secondly, DAT (Digital Audio Tape) technology came about as a result of Compact Disc technology. Basically, the advances made in digital audio recording while creating the CD format were also applied to cassette technology. The CD format was introduced by Sony and Phillips in 1982 in Japan and Europe while the DAT format wasn't created until 1987.

Also, around the timeframe that the Eva writers were creating the series, both Mini-Discs and DAT players were popular (according to the 2nd site I posted, circa 1992), both of which are forms of recordable media. So while the writers probably chose a technology that was popular at the time, it wasn't the ONLY technology available, nor was the MD alternative probably that much more expensive.
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:05 am

Also, Eva was created between '93 and '96, NOT between '90 and '93.
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”