Computer's frames per second

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Computer's frames per second

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:54 am

What frame rate does a computer display?

Or if it doesn't display by FPS, then what does it?
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:03 am

Computers are varible things. They can display at all sorts of refresh rates. It really depends on how fast your computer.

What you really need to know is the frame rate need to meet film standard and that is 24 frames per second. However for reasons detailed in ErMaC's guide that gets converted to 29.97 when exported to things like tapes/laser discs/dvds(not all of them). So when you 'capture' using a analog capture card you'll want to capture @ 29.97fps.

~klinky

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:08 am

Hmm....so that's why when you record on an analog camera that the screen looks all flickery and/or weird?
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:31 am

Most likely, I believe the reason it looks flickery or you see a 'bar' moving up the screen is because the camera catches it in mid refresh and since you only capture at 29.97 or 24fps while a monitor refreshes at atleast 60hz(hz = "sorta fps"), alot of monitors actually run @ 85hz or even higher. So it sorta creates this "illusion", not quite sure if I am correct about that tho.

~klinky

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:55 am

Ko Oh Yoku wrote:Hmm....so that's why when you record on an analog camera that the screen looks all flickery and/or weird?
That flicker you see is from the CRT redrawing the image. (You don't get that problem on LCDs or on monitors that have their refresh rates cranked up.) The human eye can't catch the refresh, but a camera can.

Oh, and hertz is just "cycles per second", and can therefore be used to describe anything that's periodic in nature: monitor vertical/horizontal refresh rates (though we usually use kHz for the former), CPU speeds, radio frequencies, jbone's humor quality, etc.

As far as what frame-rate a computer (program, I presume) displays: That's the frame-rate that your program is achieving -- how many complete frames (as defined by the image width+height) the program has been able to write to the video buffer per second (as defined by the internal clock). It has nothing to do with what rate your display device refreshes at, although if your display device refresh rate is too low to keep up with what the display adapter is blasting out, you'll get odd, and rather eye-straining, artifacts.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:59 pm

I capture and produce my AMVs at 29.97 frames per second. 30 frames per second seems to be standard for most people.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:23 pm

unfortunately, although the trained and well educated amv creator will do them at 24/23.976
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:25 pm

hey that was my first intelligent post in 2 months 8)
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

Return to “Video & Audio Help”