How to rip PS2 FMV files - Step by Step Guide.

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Guardian4
Org Profile

Post by Guardian4 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:49 pm

AMVfreak wrote:Ah, I see. :)
Do you need the audio?
[If you're planning to make a music video, you may not need the audio anyways, and just work with the m2vs.]
But then again, you might.
I'm thinking the .dat [audio] files from the .pss files are similar to that of the .dat[audio] files of a VCD.
dBPowerAMP Music Converter supports VCD audio (.dat) files, so you may want to try converting the .dat files into .wav files using that.
Well, I don't need it to make a music video, no, but I really wanted the audio on these clips. As for dBPowerAMP Music Converter, it doesn't seem to support .dat? Well, at least it doesn't find my kinds of dat files. I did manage to find a converter (River Past Audio Converter - supposed to be able to convert any dat file) that tried to open the dat file, but it said it didn't have any recognizable audio in it. I don't know what Shadow Hearts did to encode their audio, but with MFAudio (it says open the .pss so I do), all I get is 3 to 5 seconds of static when I try to play it. And I can't convert it or anything. I mean, I guess I don't really need it, but I would have liked to been able to watch my clips too with sound. :?

AMVfreak
Org Profile

Post by AMVfreak » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:52 am

Guardian4 wrote:Well, I don't need it to make a music video, no, but I really wanted the audio on these clips. As for dBPowerAMP Music Converter, it doesn't seem to support .dat? Well, at least it doesn't find my kinds of dat files. I did manage to find a converter (River Past Audio Converter - supposed to be able to convert any dat file) that tried to open the dat file, but it said it didn't have any recognizable audio in it. I don't know what Shadow Hearts did to encode their audio, but with MFAudio (it says open the .pss so I do), all I get is 3 to 5 seconds of static when I try to play it. And I can't convert it or anything. I mean, I guess I don't really need it, but I would have liked to been able to watch my clips too with sound. :?
MFAudio. Doh. How did I forget to recommend that to you earlier?

This is quite a nutcase.
Instead of just stopping after trying to play the audio in MFAudio, try converting it. Play the output .wav file and see if it works all right.

.dat is a audio format I have never seen or heard about being on a PSS file. You might want to try re-ripping the game disc itself again into PSS files, and then use PSS Plex to demultiplex the PSS files again into the av streams. Then try the methods again.

If all of these do not work, I'm going to fall under the assumption that this Shadow Hearts game is one of those tough game discs to rip (like Zone of the Enders), that's just formatted differently from other games.
At this point, I say just go make the music video without the audio, as it won't be necessary, or if you really want it badly, capture the audio via audio recording while PSS playback on the PC(using tools such as PS2play, or PSSplay. Although chances may be that it may not be succesful, due to the fact that PS2 and regular MPEG2 streams work very differently in playback on a PC), or hardware capture with a video capture card.
Lurid Enchantment - ICYCLOUD
urban suite - TRYTHIL
大切な思い - BAKADESHI
Expansion - RESK

Guardian4
Org Profile

Post by Guardian4 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:38 pm

AMVfreak wrote:
Guardian4 wrote:Well, I don't need it to make a music video, no, but I really wanted the audio on these clips. As for dBPowerAMP Music Converter, it doesn't seem to support .dat? Well, at least it doesn't find my kinds of dat files. I did manage to find a converter (River Past Audio Converter - supposed to be able to convert any dat file) that tried to open the dat file, but it said it didn't have any recognizable audio in it. I don't know what Shadow Hearts did to encode their audio, but with MFAudio (it says open the .pss so I do), all I get is 3 to 5 seconds of static when I try to play it. And I can't convert it or anything. I mean, I guess I don't really need it, but I would have liked to been able to watch my clips too with sound. :?
MFAudio. Doh. How did I forget to recommend that to you earlier?

This is quite a nutcase.
Instead of just stopping after trying to play the audio in MFAudio, try converting it. Play the output .wav file and see if it works all right.

.dat is a audio format I have never seen or heard about being on a PSS file. You might want to try re-ripping the game disc itself again into PSS files, and then use PSS Plex to demultiplex the PSS files again into the av streams. Then try the methods again.

If all of these do not work, I'm going to fall under the assumption that this Shadow Hearts game is one of those tough game discs to rip (like Zone of the Enders), that's just formatted differently from other games.
At this point, I say just go make the music video without the audio, as it won't be necessary, or if you really want it badly, capture the audio via audio recording while PSS playback on the PC(using tools such as PS2play, or PSSplay. Although chances may be that it may not be succesful, due to the fact that PS2 and regular MPEG2 streams work very differently in playback on a PC), or hardware capture with a video capture card.
Thanks muchly, AMVFreak. Unfortunately, when I play the pss, I get no sound whatsoever. And when I try to convert the .dat, MFAudio just crashes on me. They must have encoded the sound weird. Oh well, I guess I'll live. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the FMVs off of Shadow Hearts Covenant. So far, all the methods that I've found and the ones that work on Shadow Hearts, don't work on SH Covenant.

FallenMarvel
For Dreams I Stand
Org Profile

Post by FallenMarvel » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:38 pm

i tried the method with final fantasy x. it didn't find anything. was there something that i did wrong or is it just impossible?

AMVfreak
Org Profile

Post by AMVfreak » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:44 pm

kajin_phoenixlord wrote:i tried the method with final fantasy x. it didn't find anything. was there something that i did wrong or is it just impossible?
Yeah, this method doesn't seem to work with FFX.
It doesn't recognize when you search for the /MPG in the Nova Software Extrator.

Use FFX2MOV to rip the m2v and wav streams off FFX.
Thanks muchly, AMVFreak. Unfortunately, when I play the pss, I get no sound whatsoever. And when I try to convert the .dat, MFAudio just crashes on me. They must have encoded the sound weird. Oh well, I guess I'll live. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the FMVs off of Shadow Hearts Covenant. So far, all the methods that I've found and the ones that work on Shadow Hearts, don't work on SH Covenant.
Hmm. What a mess.
I'm thinking the sound files are either corrupt or formatted differently.
Well, good luck on your music video.
urban suite - TRYTHIL
大切な思い - BAKADESHI
Expansion - RESK

FallenMarvel
For Dreams I Stand
Org Profile

Post by FallenMarvel » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:06 am

thanx, man. it worked perfectly. is there a tool just like it for ffx-2?

AMVfreak
Org Profile

Post by AMVfreak » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:21 am

kajin_phoenixlord wrote:thanx, man. it worked perfectly. is there a tool just like it for ffx-2?
http://www.project-fao.org/#FFX2
urban suite - TRYTHIL
大切な思い - BAKADESHI
Expansion - RESK

Athena_128
Org Profile

Um, problem...

Post by Athena_128 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:14 am

Hello, it's been a long time since I had worked on these for Final Fantasy X. The Extractor is not letting me scan the ISO's. I did everything that was said, selected MPG and it scans all 5 ISO's, but there is no founded files...can you please help me with this...... :cry: thanx...
Athena

AMVfreak
Org Profile

Re: Um, problem...

Post by AMVfreak » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:35 am

Athena_128 wrote:Hello, it's been a long time since I had worked on these for Final Fantasy X. The Extractor is not letting me scan the ISO's. I did everything that was said, selected MPG and it scans all 5 ISO's, but there is no founded files...can you please help me with this...... :cry: thanx...

Yes, FFX does not work with the method you are trying.

You will want to use FFX2MOV to rip the FFX FMVs.
urban suite - TRYTHIL
大切な思い - BAKADESHI
Expansion - RESK

devilmaykickass
Org Profile

Re: Um, problem...

Post by devilmaykickass » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:03 am

AMVfreak wrote:
Athena_128 wrote:Hello, it's been a long time since I had worked on these for Final Fantasy X. The Extractor is not letting me scan the ISO's. I did everything that was said, selected MPG and it scans all 5 ISO's, but there is no founded files...can you please help me with this...... :cry: thanx...

Yes, FFX does not work with the method you are trying.

You will want to use FFX2MOV to rip the FFX FMVs.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=48062 :?

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”