How to rip PS2 FMV files - Step by Step Guide.

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Guardian4
Org Profile

Post by Guardian4 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:12 pm

Also, I've started to try to scan with the Extractor on Shadow Hearts Covenant and it stops scanning after a few minutes and just sits there. That's when I scan for mpgs. But when I scan for say, avi, it completes just fine. Is it because there are two discs for the game? Anybody do this game yet that can help me out?

-M_X_R-
Org Profile

Post by -M_X_R- » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:57 pm

I'm also trying to do the same, but still no luck with splitting the files in different custom size's, its just not working with Shadow Hearts Covenant, n e one else have any ideas..??? :cry: (I'll try searching the web for all I can get..)

Guardian4
Org Profile

Post by Guardian4 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:05 pm

I've tried lots of methods with Shadow Hearts Covenant and what works even for Xenosaga won't work with this game.

shirohamada
Org Profile

Post by shirohamada » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:36 pm

maybe its protected.

the best copy protection i've encountered on the ps2 is for tales of rebirth japanese version.
pop it in the dvd-rom drive, it reads for a while, then stops. tested with 2 different drives. i concluded, copy protection.

star ocean 3 movies are protected.
zone of the enders are protected by putting junk in the middle of the video streams so the video will be corrupted, without proper decoding, i think . i only got a few seconds of the opening scenes.

Gemberkoekje
Org Profile

Post by Gemberkoekje » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:47 pm

I am trying to get the fmv from Star Ocean: Till the end of time... but i got the same problem as most here (extractor stops at a certain point) and i don't have enough time (im NOT too lazy :P) to manually search...

Anyone got a tip for me?

Also @Luxoy - just in case you're still curious (i know that post was half a year ago) Extractor only does the first 30 files, so if you want the rest use the util to split the image and only select the 2nd part (or from where he stopped - give or take)
BakaNeko.nl!

Riazar
Org Profile

Post by Riazar » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:06 pm

I'm utterly new to the whole process of ripping/compressing/working with video files in any way. I used ffx2mov to get the files from my FFX DVD, but now I'm lost as to how exactly I can convert those m2v files into something that I can work with in a movie editing program (in fact, I haven't used anything more advanced than Windows Movie Maker so far). I downloaded DVD2AVI, as the guide suggested, but saving as an AVI file using the huffyuv codec just ends up with a file that registers as rainbowy static for second in a media player and then causes the program to close. I also downloaded VDubMod earlier, but when I tried to save the m2v file as an avi using that, the framerate was horribly off, making it look like the movie was running a 10X speed.

I'm frankly a little mystified by the entire process, and wondering if anyone could be kind enough to walk me through exactly how I can convert my m2v files into something useful.

Riazar
Org Profile

Post by Riazar » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:27 pm

Sorry for the double post, but here's my long list of problems:

1. VDubMod doesn't pick up all the frames of each m2v video- so it's missing a ton, and looks like it's very sped-up. I don't know how to fix this.

2. Regular VDub simply crashes whenever I try to open one of the FFX m2v files there. Again, don't know why.

3. DVD2AVI will open the files, but the resulting AVI files when I save are complete trash. I'm lost!

-M_X_R-
Org Profile

Post by -M_X_R- » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:33 pm

Does anyone know how to use hex editor... and does it work for games such as Shadow Hearts Covenant, and highly protected games likes this Tales of Rebirth Jap Ver.???

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:24 pm

Riazar wrote:2. Regular VDub simply crashes whenever I try to open one of the FFX m2v files there. Again, don't know why.
This is because regular VDub doesn't support MPEG-2 video unless it's served in using AVISynth. This is a major reason why VDubMod is nicer than average VDub.

I dunno how to fix the other problems. But DON'T use DVD2AVI to convert the files. Load the .d2v file that it creates (you should be using DGIndex's 'Save Project' option; DVD2AVI is somewhat outdated) into AVISynth (or better yet, just load the .avs file that it creates into VDubMod and go from there). Just make sure you have AVISynth installed first.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Riazar
Org Profile

Post by Riazar » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:34 pm

Okay, thanks for your advice, I seem to be straightened out as far as VDubMod and AviSynth. My problem now seems to be with the mpeg2 codec.

Without any separate codec installed, WMP is fine playing the .m2v files by itself. However, when I open those same files in VDubMod, they are ridiculously speeded up (missing a lot of frames, as I said before). If I install the codec, the files will play in both, BUT they are horribly glitchy, with tons of weird pauses and lots of rainbow junk blocking out half the screen.

Could anyone tell me if this is just a codec issue, and if so, how to resolve it, or is there something I'm missing here?

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”