Is it possible to convert movie files on your PC to VHS?

kenrael
Org Profile

Is it possible to convert movie files on your PC to VHS?

Post by kenrael » Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:56 pm

Here's the problem. I'm hoping to show a few AMVs to my anime club at school, and naturally I'd just put the movie files on a CD and show them on a school comp. However, since certain 'school policies' prohibit me from doing so, I am forced to either hold meetings at a different location, or somehow put the AMVs on VHS. I only have a Radeon 8500 (and not even a efficient one somehow), and my resources are somewhat limited, but I would appreciate any sort of advice or help I might get.

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:10 pm

You need a card with at least TV output capabilites. I'm sure some of the more experienced members have recommendations.
I'm out...

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:37 pm

He's right, you need a capture card with out ports. If that's all you need and not an editing system I suggest just go out and by a Dazzle Card, no special features, just simple card to output your stuff to VHS.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:42 pm

and not even a efficient one somehow
How do you determine how efficient your Radeon 8500 is?

The Radeon should be up there with the Geforce 4(unless maybe you have a LE). Most Radeon 8500s have TV out on them. In that case it would be a simple matter of piping your audio and video out to your VCR.

~klinky

kenrael
Org Profile

Post by kenrael » Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:35 pm

Well the good news is that I'm at least getting audio onto a VHS. I used two adapters and a host of wires to get this to the VCR. Unfortunately, by connecting my Radeon 8500 to the VCR by means of a S-Video-to-composite adapter, and the audio wires, I and only getting the audio. Even attached to a TV, the only thing that shows up where the movie file is supposed to be is a blank spot, while everything else on the monitor shows up. I'd appreciate alittle more help really.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:19 pm

Turn off hardware/video acceleration on your media player...

This should be some where under View|Options.

~klinky

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:27 pm

1) What media player are you using? WMP 6.4?

2) Is there any sort of information showing up in the text area of your media player display when you first start the video? like "failed to download codec" or something?

Sounds like you may need to install a codec to get the video to show up. Go to http://www.divx.com/ and download the latest freeware bundle of their codec & player.

Still doesn't work? Download the XviD codec, and/or ffdshow and install those. (use Google to find them)

If you see the windows desktop on your TV, but a blank window and sound only in your media player window, its probably codec you need.

kenrael
Org Profile

Post by kenrael » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:40 pm

I use Light Alloy 1.D as my media player, and I've already got the latest versions of the Divx codec, DirectX, and the drivers for my Radeon 8500. Still haven't used XviD codec, and/or ffdshow yet, but I'll try again.

Mask of Destiny
Org Profile

Post by Mask of Destiny » Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:06 am

If you muck with the settings in the Radeon control panel you can get it so the TV is your primary display. That way when your player uses overlay it will be sent to the proper frame buffer.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:10 pm

Inefficient but since I don't have video out on my card I just burn them onto VCD and then tape it off my DVD player.
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

Return to “Hardware Discussion”