Third Impact - This Project is Dead!

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
themaan
Org Profile

Post by themaan » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:44 pm

Alright, well, glad to see you're all gettin started and stuff. Just too Jasper, it's okay to change but ya, kinda late notice and all, but it's alright. Ooh, and I like your banner a lot better than mine. Heh.
Image Appeared on RDS 2/2/05

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:06 pm

Beta.

The segment is still heavily under construction. I'm currently really dissatisfied with it for the following reasons:

1. I can't seem to get the pacing right. You can tell by all the holes that I need to even out the pacing a bit to make the story more fluid.

2. How can I end the video without breaking the story? I threw the zoom-out clip at the end so it can act as the transition, but now I have trouble making the story connect. There are two things I can do now: either move the clip back and make a new transition (:?), or make the segment less story-based by adding in another anime.

3. To me, the video as a whole seems... well, kinda mundane. And rushed. Here I am, rambling on about keeping the story fluid when my choice of editing style pushes the "story" element into the backseat anyway. Can anyone who hasn't seen Program really tell what's going on here besides two samurai duking it out? Maybe I should have done something besides trying to tell a 5-minute story in under a minute. :|

Any suggestions? Consolations? :(

Maverick-Rubik
The Eye of a Lynx
Org Profile

Post by Maverick-Rubik » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:45 pm

Except for the parts that are currently blank, I like how it is. :)

I'd recommend having stuff move to the notes of the brass a little more, since that (in my opinion) would look great.

EDIT: I saw Program a while ago, and I'd recommend the part where she breaks his sword and half, etc. to end it.

themaan
Org Profile

Post by themaan » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:41 pm

Alright, watched that beta Jasper-Isis, gotta say, I did like it. But I agree with you, there's something missing. Oh, and I liked your idea for the transition, but it's gonna look really weird because Katsumi is using DBZ ( :? ) and the sudden switch from AMG to DBZ will be quite strange. But it was an awsome idea, and if you have some DBZ...

Anyway, great beta and I can't wait to see how it turns out, as far as plot, it's honestly a little hard to see. Well, it's hard to see the plot in the original anime anyway :P I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance, I'll keep thinking about it and try to come up with some ideas or something. In the main time, good luck. May I suggest rewatching Program for some inspiration?

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:55 pm

themaan wrote:Oh, and I liked your idea for the transition, but it's gonna look really weird because Katsumi is using DBZ ( :? ) and the sudden switch from AMG to DBZ will be quite strange. But it was an awsome idea, and if you have some DBZ...
The AMG footage was just a stand-in to show how the transition would work. The layer that shows up on the roof is going to be the beginning of Katsumi's segment.

It looks like I'll either be getting rid of that transition (by rearranging the footage) or bringing in a new anime. (Mononoke Hime possibly? The setting is similar, time-wise.)

Maverick: you're right about the brass. I'll try to move the more dramatic pans to those areas.

_____

EDIT: I noticed that the project has a "Part One" and "Part Two." Will the project be physically separated into two parts? Or it is still continuous?

EDIT again: Just realized from the time listings that the project will indeed be in two files. In that case, can themann post a large picture of our logo? Or tell me the font name. It might look nice in a bit of a strobe for the drums at the beginning.

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:46 pm

Well, I'm done. Unless there's something specific that I need to change, that'll be my completed segment.

Comments?

Maverick-Rubik
The Eye of a Lynx
Org Profile

Post by Maverick-Rubik » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:11 pm

I liked it. :o

If anything, I think that the brass at 0:14 should have shown all of the few horsemen dissolving (since the trumpet is 5 notes). But it isn't that big of a deal at all, really.

I liked the way you used speed and motion within the scenes to emulate a long or high pitched note. You also blended in the two movies pretty well when they were jumping in the air.

When the two women (wow I can't believe I already forgot their names after 2 and a half years of seeing Mononoke...) are fighting should have had the attacks sync to each piano key (as some synced well while other attacks were kind of executed passively).

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:37 pm

I liked the way you used speed and motion within the scenes to emulate a long or high pitched note. You also blended in the two movies pretty well when they were jumping in the air.
Thanks... Mononoke got color-tweaked to hell though. :wink:
When the two women (wow I can't believe I already forgot their names after 2 and a half years of seeing Mononoke...) are fighting should have had the attacks sync to each piano key (as some synced well while other attacks were kind of executed passively).
That's true. I'll see what I can do, but it may not be possible to time the slashes well due to lack of good fighting footage (stupid diaper-clad men keep getting in the way... :?).

Tomorrow night I'll be archiving my project files so I can install the final new AMVapp. So if anybody else has comments/suggestions, let me know right away! This thread has been pretty slow. I'm only exaggerating a little to say that we've reached a milestone, getting to the second page... :|

themaan
Org Profile

Post by themaan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:45 pm

Alright, I watched the video Jasper. I liked it, very nice work. But ya, if you timed the fight sequence to the piano like Maverick-Rubik suggested, it would make it even better.

Oh, and this project actually isn't gonna be split in to two parts. Lol. I'm very sorry for the confusion. The reason I have organized it like this is because I recieved our audio in 2 parts because the commercial break was to have it's own edited audio that has yet to be completed. So it's partly because I'm lazy and partly because I wanted to illustrate that the project will have a first half, commercial break, then second half. Again, sorry for the confusion, so you'll have to take that title out as it would look really weird after what I'm gonna put right before your segment.

I guess it doesn't really mean anything now because you cant put the title in, but that banner isn't really...official. Tellin' ya, I like your banner much better Jasper, so if you can make a fullsize one or whatever, that would be really great. My photoshop skills are limited here.

Hope I cleared some stuff up, nice segment Jasper.

EDIT: You know, I think it's a good thing that this thread isn't really being posted in much. It means there haven't been any problems yet...right?...am...I...right?... ... ... ... guys?

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:51 pm

Whew, it's a good thing you posted that about the title right before I was about to delete my VOB files.
EDIT: You know, I think it's a good thing that this thread isn't really being posted in much. It means there haven't been any problems yet...right?...am...I...right?... ... ... ... guys?
Well uhh... it could also be that one of us is dead. :shock:

No, really, it's a lot better to have people post here often, as we should not only post problems but also ideas, suggestions, or even the occasional heads-up on progress. As I see it, a multi-editor project isn't a whole bunch of editors making little segments to join into one big video; it's a whole bunch of editors working on ONE large video that reflects the thoughts, styles, and efforts of the editors blended together.

So yeah, more posting in this thread would be :up: in my opinion.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”