Search Tools Revised

lilgumba
Org Profile

Post by lilgumba » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:27 pm

i see. i'll eliminate as many as possible today then. thanks for the info.

Geirr
Org Profile

Working pretty well so far ...

Post by Geirr » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:38 am

But, as was said in the first page, ther should be a way to clear off or 'provisionally' rate AMV's you've already seen, or d/l'ed indirectly.

Plus, a lot of AMV fans trade AMV's at anime clubs and LAN parties, which is why both methods (which seem to work great) select 20 or so vids I've already seen.

Here's a trick question: If there's a series or a song or a group you HATE, then those AMV's end up not being selected for you. So now, let's say there might be a total send-up or parody AMV that just rips the living crap out of that series or group you HATE, which would mean you would really LOVE that particular AMV, because to you the stuff you dislike is getting ABUSED the way it DESERVES.

Could an algorithm detect that?

- G

serebro
Org Profile

Getting parodies of animes/songs you hate suggested...

Post by serebro » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:02 pm

There should be a way to do that. :idea: I know in SQL I'd use something like:

SELECT [suggestions]
FROM [database]
WHERE ( ( (Anime NOT IN (hated_anime1, hated_anime2)) AND (Artist NOT IN (hated_artist1, hated_artist2)) ) OR (Category=Parody) )

If I can come up with that off the top of my head, it might be possible, but it depends on how complicated the rest of the query is and the structure of the database. Obviously, if it would require a database redesign to implement efficiently, it may not happen all that soon. :)

Even though I can't afford to donate at this point (just spent 2 months out of work), please count me as someone who'd love to see this worked into the suggestions if possible... :D

Daeyeth
Org Profile

Post by Daeyeth » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:36 pm

i have a question about ignoring a video. after i first ignored some videos, it says that if i ignore too many videos it'll make it inaccurate. is this true? right now i'm only ignoring videos because i've already downloaded them before. usually about half the list is made up of videos i've already downloaded. so if i ignore them, will it recalculate whatever formula its using to come up with my videos? because i really like the selection besides the ones that i havent seen.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:49 pm

Daeyeth: How can the system be accurate if it doesn't have your preference information about the videos you are ignoring.

Daeyeth
Org Profile

Post by Daeyeth » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:39 pm

um, i don't understand what your saying. is that a yes, the system will become more inaccurate because of all the videos you're ignoring or were u being sarcastic?

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:02 pm

The less information you provide the suggestion system about what kind of videos you like then the system will be less accurate. The system makes its decisions based on an agorithim that looks at star ratings given by you and other people.

Maverick-Rubik
The Eye of a Lynx
Org Profile

Post by Maverick-Rubik » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:13 pm

Ignoring videos you've already seen is perfectly fine.

What they mean by making the system inaccurate is that if you ignore videos you haven't seen but just don't want to see... since then it wouldn't give you suggestions.
:?

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:31 pm

Yeah it is alright to do so. I prefer this though.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... light=test

Keep in mind though that not rating videos not only makes your suggestion list less accurate but also everyone elses. Say we were to have similar interests. One day an awesome video that I haven't seen pops up on your suggestion list but you choose to ignore it since you've already seen it. How would the video get on my suggestion list if people choose to ignore the videos I haven't seen.

Anyways enough on that... I myself wanted the option to remove videos at the beginning of this thread. I prefer the method in the link I just gave though. The moment you start your download after turning that option on it counts it as a complete download. That way you can then cancel and rate the video instead of ignoring it completely.

Return to “Site Announcements”