Getting around VOB sizes: alternatives to a new hard drive?

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:50 pm

RichLather wrote:Western Digital 80GB hard drvies are only $62 nowadays
But it's only ATA100! ATA133 is teh ubar!
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

Zero1
Org Profile

Post by Zero1 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:37 pm

Has anyone already mentioned bait and switch? Whether it would work or not is dependant on how many episodes you end up using

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:34 am

the Black Monarch wrote:
RichLather wrote:Western Digital 80GB hard drvies are only $62 nowadays
But it's only ATA100! ATA133 is teh ubar!
you don't know if he has a pc or mac. to anybody with a mac, BAKA BAKA BAKA BAKA! *whacka with the Baka stick... with a little trout on the side. Macs are BAAAD... ok maybe only till your earning a 6 figure income or something. Anyway I have problems with this all or nothing approach to computers. That's the beauty of PCs, normal Joe Shmoes like me can just UPGRADE their pcs to keep up with the jones' else I can only have a resonable dev time (aka keep up with the jones') for a little bit after I buy a NEW PC, and for ppl like me that aint often.

to make it clearer let me put out a situation for you. Say your pc is a (a low cost pc from 2000... if it's any worse, buy a new e-machine and upgrade it or find somebody that will make one for you or look up a guide, it's not hard, and ask somebody to give you a list of components to buy as beleive me, you'll never guess the best cheap stuff on your first try):

Duron 800
64MB SDRAM
30gb U/66 HDD
integrated vid/ sound/ lan (and/ or modem)
Win98

this is the LEAST you should have for video editing unless you have the patience of a saint. Anyway I'd expect a simple encoding should take 20 mins or so. First of all, with the beauty that is a pc, you have the freedom to upgrade! Problem is, your computer is SO outdated that your first upgrade will be expensive. I'd start by upgrading your heart of your computer, the motherboard, to a cheap Nforce 2 SE board. The board itself is only ~40 USD with vid/ sound/ lan but the cpu and ram is too outdated so new ones of those may be like 200 bucks. But don't wory about the extra money spent, for 250 you'd get:

Sempron 1800+
128mb DDR 400 RAM
new mobo

that's easily 4x the speed of the ole clunker for a meesley 4 months allowance and a little work! Much better than saving because you than can work much faster (sigh alot less) get more done, talk with your friends, scheme up new plans. And it don't stop there!

Blah Blah Blah yackity yack you get to light speed by the end of the month, your encodes take like less than 10 minutes now! OR you could still be chuggin along on old faithfull thumbin your money. Beleive me, in the pc world, Saving is for chumps.

also <b>BE SURE TO GET A CDR/ CDRW drive (aka a burner)</b> it'll save you a ton of space when you can save it to a CD (obviously). You might even want to get a DVD Writer instead and burn to cds until DVD media gets to be affordable.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:44 am

Knowname wrote:You might even want to get a DVD Writer instead and burn to cds until DVD media gets to be affordable.
In the UK blank cds are around 10-20p each and blank DVDs are around 30-50p each. What's not affordable about that? I'm presuming US prices are similar.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:32 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:
Knowname wrote:You might even want to get a DVD Writer instead and burn to cds until DVD media gets to be affordable.
In the UK blank cds are around 10-20p each and blank DVDs are around 30-50p each. What's not affordable about that? I'm presuming US prices are similar.
For the most part, but it depends on whether they're branded. Around here, CD spindles are loss-leaders for the tech and office supply stores. So, they're on sale somewhere every week. Usually, the local distributor drives the sales, meaning it's common to see the same brand on sale at several different places at slightly different prices.

Name brands can be found for around $0.20 to $0.40 each. DVDs are closer to $1.00 each for brands - although I picked up a spindle of 25 Memorex DVD-R for $8 tonight at a pre-holiday sale ($0.32 ea.). Large blocks of non-branded CDs can be as low as $0.10 or less. It pays to shop around.

Major necropost, by the way. :wink:

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:36 am

Is there such a thing as necroposting a sticky?

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:36 am

TaranT wrote:Major necropost, by the way.
Wait....this one is "stuck". Never mind. :)

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:37 am

I could learn to hate real time....

quadir
I Know Drama
Org Profile

Post by quadir » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:32 am

First of all, you could go through each vob, fidn the clips you want, and make huff of each clip. You'll have more clips then you really need, since you're grabbing every `interesting one' you might use, but at least it should be smaller then the vobs. You can use these clips for your final product.

Second, this guide seems to talk about divX'ing your source period, and it turning out not that bad in the end. Not sure on the space, but apparently it's much lower .

Last and most important, When ripping your vobs, there is an option for how `big' to make them. I'm not sure if this is practical; and technically you shouldnt loose any frames; Change the size of the vobs. IF you rip your vobs at say... max 100mb, you'll have a lot of vobs, but that means you can keep the vobs with the clip you use, on the hd! You'll have to do this from day 1. I don't know if this is such a good idea, but it's really all I could think of.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:27 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:
I wouldn't expect the great AD to identify, but when your a little insignificant, 2x the price is 2x the price. Even though the gains may be greater when you only got 10 bucks a week you can't always go with the best deal :evil: .

Ta tell the truth I've not really thought about it -ehehe- but meh..

Return to “Hardware Discussion”