What the heck has Phade been up to?

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

What the heck has Phade been up to?

Post by Phade » Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:53 pm

Hey All,

I guess you guys may be wondering what I've been up to these past few weeks and months. Well, it's been quite an adventure, and the adventure has just started.

From the beginning of the year until the end of last month, the vast majority of my free time has been spent getting ready to be married. Though I did not believe it before, it really does take a minimum of 6 months to get ready for it. There is soooo much to do for it. Sooooo many decisions to make. On top of that, Mary and I secretly decided to put on a big dance show for our first dance, instead of the usual twiddling around the dance floor like normal folks do. So, on August 24, everything went wonderfully. The first dance was a big surprise and a big hit with everyone.

At the same time as all this preparation, the company I worked for was slowly deteriorating to the point that it was clearly apparent that it was no longer going to be a viable company. The decision was made that I should look for new employment. To make it a little more difficult, we were going to move out of the Washington, DC area and move more to the south, closer to our families. After some mild looking with little success, the lease to my apartment was up. We packed up all our stuff and put it in my folks garage in Charlotte, NC. Technically, we are now homeless and unemployed. ([joke] Now we're looking to live in a van down by the river.)

As you can probably guess, all of this has put a real damper on the Golden Donut. I knew that if I had proceeded as originally planned, the launch time when I would be needed the most would coincide with the time that I would be available the least. So, to be fair to everyone and the operation itself, I have had to really slow down the progress until I could devote my full attention to it. If I do not, then the plan will surely fail.

When I returned from my honeymoon at the beginning of September, I saw that there was some great unrest at the forums. Most of the disturbance centered around people being stupid in the Off Topic sections. To help calm the unrest, I have doubled the number of agents. I have more clearly defined to everyone the meaning of "Off Topic" and "Way Off Topic". I have also added a new off topic forum for general self promotion.

I had applied for an IT position at Clemson University in South Carolina. Moving there, I could easily recruit some students to assist in site updates and maintenance. With this extra direct help, new site features and corrections would greatly increase in their completion (especially since I won't have to worry about a job any more). I have successfully gone through their interview process, but unfortunately, I have not heard back from them on when they will hire me.

So, right now, I am spending a few days with my folks then a few days with Mary's folks and back and forth, waiting for the phone to ring with some good news. As soon as there is some good news, I can finally move and settle down, fix up some more site features, and get the Golden Donut going again (Mmmm... donut...).

Well, that's all for right now. I've got to get back to job search engines and sending out resumes. (I had really hoped to be at AWA this month, but without a job, I really can't justify the cost.) I'll still be hanging around the site when I can trying to maintain what I can.

Just letting you know. Wish me luck!

Phade.

bloodyfang
Org Profile

Post by bloodyfang » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:03 pm

Hey, i know someone who is going to Clemson University. Not that that really matters.... :oops:
An ocean of dust and randomly strung together pieces of hydrogen, serving no purpose other than allowing all of us to continue in our misery, doomed to an enternity of petty squabbles and meaningless ego trips, until the whole thing one day explodes and starts the whole shebang all over again. - Chaos_Angel

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:51 pm

All I can say is, congratulations Phade. As for me I'm only engaged to be married. But it's completely understandable about the site being second priority, as it should be, to your wife.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

turboneko
Org Profile

Post by turboneko » Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:52 pm

Whao Phade... welcome to the joys of the married life :P
I really wish you and Mary the best luck... uhm, since I still need truckloads of it, do you mind if we share some? :D

Jokes aside, I send you my best congratulations, and I hope that you will find a new job soon!
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

pansasama
Org Profile

Post by pansasama » Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:30 pm

Hey Phade, congratulations on getting married!! I wish you and Mary many, many years of happiness. It can be work, but in the long run, it's worth it and it's wonderful (as we're in our 15th year) ((yeah, I'm one of the ol' fogeys here!))
Good luck also in finding a job you like! And don't worry about us. We'll be here. You've got to take care of the important things in life first (love, food and shelter).
'til then :D

Cailet730
Org Profile

Post by Cailet730 » Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:27 pm

Wish me luck!
Congratulations on your marriage and Good Luck!

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:39 pm

So, Phade, when do you begin to populate the world with magical girls who figh evil with flimsy, cheap-looking weapons and girl-magnet boys with no self-esteem but who are the heirs to mystical powers?
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

bloodyfang
Org Profile

Post by bloodyfang » Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:55 pm

bloodyfang wrote:Hey, i know someone who is going to Clemson University. Not that that really matters.... :oops:
actually i know the guys girlfriend. God all she ever talks about is reid this and reid that....makes my Comp. App. 2 class unbearable -_-
An ocean of dust and randomly strung together pieces of hydrogen, serving no purpose other than allowing all of us to continue in our misery, doomed to an enternity of petty squabbles and meaningless ego trips, until the whole thing one day explodes and starts the whole shebang all over again. - Chaos_Angel

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:58 pm

Good to see you back, Phade :)

Tell that wife of yours to make more videos!! I might be in Charlotte occasionally helping out Nightowl and his crew...
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:23 am

Kusoyaro wrote:Tell that wife of yours to make more videos!!
H is for Hospital was ROBBED at last year's Oscars!
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

Return to “Site Announcements”