Dates, Storage, and Benevolence

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Dates, Storage, and Benevolence

Post by Phade » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:03 pm

Hey All,

Long time, no update. We have some nice major changes going on here at the Org. First off, there is now a new video option: Date Available. This option will allow you to enter all of a video’s information and keep it hidden from lists and searches until that date. This comes in handy when you want to premiere a video at a major convention but keep the video information hidden until after it actually premieres. You can enter the video information, upload the video, but then keep it under wraps until the con is under way or over. Once the date available has been reached, the video automatically becomes available for download.

The next big thing is that we are getting a new additional storage server. The current ~1TB server has about 150G of space left. We’ve been saving up donations for a while and we have ordered an additional 2TB storage server! In addition to keeping more “distribution” quality video files like we have so far, we will be able to allow limited “convention” quality files for use by convention coordinators.

Convention coordinators will have new tools to help them organize AMV contests and expositions, collect video entries, and even (hopefully) author a DVD for the con to use to view the contest videos. (If you happen to know how to author a simple DVD using Linux command-line tools, please contact me.) Coordinators will also be able to edit convention information as needed, verify video participation, and confirm winning vids. More info on this as it develops.

Finally, we are going to try a bit of extra benevolence to see how it goes: New members will no longer have a two week probation period from accessing local videos. This has been the most frequent negative email we get. If donations stay constant with the new freedom, the probation removal will likely be permanent. But, if bad things happen like we get an increase in members defaulting on their pledges, donations drop off, or bandwidth usage skyrockets, the two week probation may have to return.

I hope you guys enjoy the new toys. We couldn’t do it without you! Thanks again and have fun!!

Phade.

J-0080
Org Profile

Post by J-0080 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:14 pm

Whoa 2 TB?

Rawk for the space upgrade.

I really don't think the two week removal was necessary, but if it cuts down hate mail.... :roll:
paizuri wrote:There's also no need for introductions because we're generally a friendly bunch and will welcome you with wide open arms anyway.

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:15 pm

hawtness, especially the no 2 week period.

about the convention coordinator tools: is it possible to make it so that coordinators control which videos participate in a convention? right now, there is some abuse of videos entering contests in their video info page that they haven't participated in.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:23 pm

Hey,
downwithpants wrote:about the convention coordinator tools: is it possible to make it so that coordinators control which videos participate in a convention? right now, there is some abuse of videos entering contests in their video info page that they haven't participated in.
Yeah, this will be the "verify video participation and confirm winning vids" part of the tool set. Coordinators will have the option to require verification of a video's claim to participation. Coordinators will also have the option to disallow any more vids from claming they have participated at that con (comes in handy when all participating vids have already been entered and verified).

I hope this helps. Thanks again and have fun!! ^_^

Phade.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:28 pm

Have you considered the long-desired Multi-Editor Project storage and management? I think this is getting to be a big issue here as well, and allowing additional space and an improved tracking system (such as the ability to participate in the VCAs as a separate category) for multi-editor projects would be a welcome addition to the new server...
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:32 pm

Hey Otohiko,

Yeah, that one should be on the list as well. Brain no longer worky this late at nighty. A single full-length distribution quality copy of massive multi-editor projects may be considered. So many things to do...

Phade.

Zero
Org Profile

Post by Zero » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:41 pm

Does this mean you have returned as an admin again?

Because it has been said you've left as of 6/7/04.

-Zero
Phade wrote:(I've actually promised to spend some time with my wife now. It's "happy Friday time".)

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:42 pm

A 2 week removal, eh? That'll also cut down on flaming noobs posting threads about the probation.

THANK YOU! :D
ImageImage

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:42 pm

Zero Serenity wrote:Does this mean you have returned as an admin again?
He's always an admin. Just with long periods of hibernation.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:46 pm

Hey Zero Serenity,

No, I've just been lurking in the background doing some coding here and there. The vast majority of the admin-ing is up to people other than me. However, the only thing I still have full control over is how donations are spent. I make sure that the bills get paid on time each month and make sure we are getting the best bang for our buck with any new purchase. Other than that, I tweak some code here and there and that's about it. I still have very little overall free time.

Phade.

Return to “Site Announcements”