Perfect Blue question.

Beefmaster10000
Org Profile

Perfect Blue question.

Post by Beefmaster10000 » Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:57 am

Okay, my question is, why in the abyss is there a Rated-R version ("edited") and an Uncut version? I just can't get ober that. That is like bloody pathetic. If they make the edited version rated R, which must mean it is pretty harsh, then what could possibly be taken out of the "edited" version? I know this is a dumb question, but it is bugging me. What is the difference between the two versions?

By the way, I love anime, ain't that sweet?

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:33 am

I am not sure what is on either, since I saw a fansub of Perfect Blue several years ago at an anime meet. I believe most fansubs are not edited for content...so let me try to make a guess.

No giggling ;)

-There are model scenes where the main character is completely naked and contains no genitals but shows hair and may violate and R rating..not clear on that

-The rape scene is quite horrific, that may have been edited since I can't see how you could see her mental breakdown spiral without that scene

-Death by screwdriver from Pizza delivery 'mystery' person (can't spoil it for anyone) . I have seen ninja scroll, ressurection, wicked city and crying freeman. However, this scene..I could not watch. After the eyes being stabbed out...I had to cover my own eyes :|

If any of those scenes seem chopped up or are missing, that is probably what the difference is. Still, I am just guessing.

Beefmaster10000
Org Profile

Post by Beefmaster10000 » Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:04 am

Come to think of it. I think you could be right. Especially with that eyeball scene. That was pretty freaky to me. Makes you shiver and cringe at teh thought of that.

Thanks for clearing that up.Image

OrionPro001
Org Profile

Post by OrionPro001 » Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:15 am

Actually what Misty has there is pretty much dead on.

I've seen both versions, and although it was some time ago, here is what I remember of bein' different:

1) Rape Scene - Almost totally taken out on the Edited version.

2) Nude Picture Scenes - Where the camera actually got up onto her ahem... private parts, it went to another scene just before showin' anythin'.

3) Screwdriver scene - I can't remember if that there was taken out or not. It is very greusome.

4) Final Confrontation - (Between real and mystery man) - where the shirt is ripped, I think they cut the scenes from that where it actually showed her breasts.

I THINK that's all of them. The first 2 I'm definitly sure of though.
http://www.orionproductions.org
Where Anime & Music Come Together.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:18 pm

I saw the Manga release of it and all that good stuph was still in it. So the Manga release = unedited to my knowledge and the dub wasn't half bad except for the retarded guy sounded pretty lame.

~klinky

Beefmaster10000
Org Profile

Post by Beefmaster10000 » Sun Jul 07, 2002 2:36 am

"Retarded guy?" There is a handicapped person in the show? :?

Xanthrax
Org Profile

Post subjects are a waste of time

Post by Xanthrax » Sun Jul 07, 2002 2:49 am

Well, Mr. MeMania does look freakish. I didn't dislike his whiny voice that much though.
Dead girls don't say no.

BaHaRa
Org Profile

Post by BaHaRa » Sun Jul 07, 2002 2:57 am

heh MeMania-san is freakish...dunno about the his dub tho..

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Sun Jul 07, 2002 4:48 am

Perfect Blue was a pretty good dub.Mima's VA had a nice innocent sound to her voice which fit the character's naivete,for instance.I think the reason the gruesome scenes are shocking is due to the fact that Perfect Blue is set in a realistic world,not a fantasy one,and fairly morally neutral people get the knife,unlike say "Trigun",where there is obvious evil (Knives and Legato).Basically,you can cheer on the good guy killing the bad guy,or the bad guy getting killed some other way,but when it is just regular people,with no moral alignment pointing in an obvious direction,it can be disturbing.

Enough psychoanalysis for now.
I'm out...

Sagara Sanosuke
Org Profile

Post by Sagara Sanosuke » Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:10 pm

woohoo! spoiler'o'rama!!! :evil: i dunno know why i even looked at this thread in the frist place... mybad :roll:

Return to “General Anime”