steep requirements in MEV's

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
bum
Org Profile

steep requirements in MEV's

Post by bum » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:05 pm

first off, MEV's. Multi Editor Videos (someone had to coin a term for these things)

Anyway, I'm worried about most of these new mev's coming now which have steep requirements saying that state that submitions must be in huffyuv, which prety much makes it imposible for anyone on 56k to enter. Could anyone running a mev project please consider allowing users to make submitions in high quality xvid (specify any required parameters/restrictions on encoding setings) . Would be a real help for thoughs of us still crawling on narrowband.

MeriC
Org Profile

Post by MeriC » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:21 pm

There's always the option of just burning the Huffy file on to a CD and mailing it to the person compiling the project. That's what we did for Doomrider, and and we had a good number of people send us their entries that way in addition to uploading their tracks.
New AMVs: DQCF+P (various Street Fighter) | One Guitar (BECK) | Please Don't Make Me Cry (Paradise Kiss)

themaan
Org Profile

Post by themaan » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:31 pm

Well, the whole thing is, XviD is a lossy codec, so your picture quality isn't as good to begin with. Then when it's recompressed a second time in the final copy of the "MEV" it'll look crappier than the huffy submissions. I think MeriC makes a good point, make arrangments to send through the mail. Well, that's what I think.
Image Appeared on RDS 2/2/05

LightningCountX
Org Profile

Post by LightningCountX » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:58 pm

yeah, for the 56k people i would either ask them if they could borrow someone's broadband connection, or if they could mail me their track on CD. Fortunetly, there are only 2 56k people in my project i believe

SnhKnives
V.I.E. 5.5
Org Profile

Post by SnhKnives » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:14 pm

56k people arent really people......>_>

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:20 pm

SnhKnives wrote:56k people arent really people......>_>
No, they're more like proto-people. Given the chance to move to broadband, they could become people.

Anyway, I have to say I generally think of these as MEPs, or MMEPs. Multi-Editor Projects, or Massive Multi-Editor Projects (the DDrs, AniMix, and the like).

The thing is, though, you want high quality for release. If you piece together XviDs, and then re-encode, there's additional loss. You lose quality.

LCY84
Org Profile

Post by LCY84 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:03 pm

SnhKnives wrote:56k people arent really people......>_>
:roll:

Not my case but if i remember, animix was compiled by 2 amvmakers, one with a 56k connection who dling all the tracks in huffyuv :lol:

So i m not sure 56k is really a problem to join multi creators projects.
ImageImage
ImageImage

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:02 am

Kalium wrote: Anyway, I have to say I generally think of these as MEPs, or MMEPs. Multi-Editor Projects, or Massive Multi-Editor Projects (the DDrs, AniMix, and the like).
well, on that logic then an amv would become an amp (which is also the name of an insurance company) until its finished, then it becomes an amv. and these are multi editor videos at heart so, i say mev. im just hoping some term for them sticks.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”