ProjeKct Life

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:23 am

Otohiko wrote:As my favorite musician might have put it - we need to know the distance between the possible and the actual here, and understand the price involved in closing this distance.
#2 is possible, but we'll need to work out what will be involved.
That's a good way of looking at it.
Jasper-Isis wrote:The biggest pro for this idea is that we get even more freedom to choose scenes that are truly profound and impacting, instead of having to edit a progressive rock song to say, a kid chasing after a moving van that has his little girlfriend in it.
That was generally the idea from the begining. We need too keep it as loose as possible while still maintaining the story based premise. I like your idea of spliting it up into distinct sections and I definatly agree that we need more discusion (and planning) before we go down one path or the other.

As a final thought: Never underestimate the power of text as an aid to storytelling in instrumental AMVs.

DrngdKreationz
Org Profile

Post by DrngdKreationz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:31 am

Hey pen-pen, Just to ask a somewhat pre-planning idea... as to your post in my thread I do have interest in contributing to the credits for this project.. (and once the theme is set. both are interesting ideas to me ) if something hits me trackwise would be interested in editing as well. but back to the question.. the audio for the credits... were you planning on building the credits into the intro/outro of the song itself.. or did you want to use seperate pieces of audio for them?

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:15 pm

I'm not the one making major decisions here, but my suggestion would be to use section 16:23-end for pseudo-credits. Pseudo-credits as in it won't include creator/source/etc information, but instead will pull bits of footage from previous segments and tie the whole video together... a sort of "This has been ProjeKct Life" kinda thing. And then we can put in the real credits after that to another song.

The same idea could be applied to 0:00-0:24, except that it would be an introduction. Anyone else have ideas on this?

Are we keeping the little ragtime section at the end? In the context of the whole project, it seems a bit... odd...

Ah yes, text can definitely be a powerful tool in AMVs. Without text, VicBond's Believe would just be a bag of flashes and effects. (Albeit a well-edited bag of flashes and effects.) But overuse of text can be a little aggrevating for the viewer.
Last edited by jasper-isis on Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrngdKreationz
Org Profile

Post by DrngdKreationz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:22 pm

sorry to say it but even with the text it was nothing but filter abuse.... :?

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:35 pm

DrngdKreationz wrote:sorry to say it but even with the text it was nothing but filter abuse.... :?
I say that it takes skill to abuse filters in a way that does not come off as utterly tacky. :wink:

Forgot to ask if Pen-pen or Otohiko has the Liquid Tension Experiment CD already. I saw it at Tower Records last weekend and almost bought it, but it was more expensive than usual CDs and I really wanted to buy something else... :?

rose4emily
Org Profile

Post by rose4emily » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:40 pm

We just did something somewhat between your two options in my animation class, where the overall theme was death and rebirth, but each peice had to make a smooth transition out of the last. This was done by having everyone draw out their last frame first, make a copy, and pass it on to the next person. It thus became possible to make everything flow seamlessly in the final compilation without any prior knowledge of anything other than the general theme, what your piece was going to look like, and where the last one ended. It also gave the whole thing the sort of transforming metaphor feel that one gets seeing the sort of animation featured in the "Goodbye Blue Sky" section of The Wall. Very interesting product - and this was done with handmade artwork with thirty 20-second segments produced in the span of a single week with no communication during the actual "editing" process.

Add communication and a more clearly defined "story", and I think a seamlessly rendered and delivered plot should be perfectly possible, if organized with both flexibility and clear constraints in view (such as leaving the middle of each segment open, but having to settle early on on how they begin and end). I'd think you could discuss ideas in text before even committing anything to video, as well, to pull together the "story" and give the pieces an order and logic within whcih they can be forged.
may seeds of dreams fall from my hands -
and by yours be pressed into the ground.

pen-pen2002
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:14 pm

A vote of confidence in a sea of maybes is a wonderful thing. Thanks Rose. (On another note. I finally took those pics for animasia so I should have that stuff in soon. :oops:)

I'm going to the record store today, hopefully they will have a copy of the CD. If so I will get it and put up a .wav via FTP

Stupid formating won't let me put a period on the end of that sentance without converting it to a link. It's amazing how obtuse computers can be sometimes.

pen-pen2002
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:07 pm

Well, it seems things have slowed down here a bit but not to worry, I'm still working on the structure I've just been a bit busy with finishing my Animasia entry for the last few days.

Also I've put up a list of editors/people who have posted on this thread up on the first post.

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:47 pm

It's okay, I'm a triskaidecaphile.

I will patiently wait until something finalized happens. After seeing the result of Project Kut-Up, in which the disparateness is a bit too disparate...I'm more than willing to make an AMV by commitee, with all the attendant hassles that creates.

IOW, I'm too lazy to weigh in an idea, come up with something and I'm sure I can shoehorn something together. :o
Life's short.
eBayhard.

pen-pen2002
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:22 pm

Well I've had few new ideas and come to some decisions.

1. I'm going to go with option 2 until such a time as it turns out to be unworkable (or we finish the video. :wink: )

2. For the intro I would like to do it "Shameless Rock Video" style. That is, the video will start off clean without titles or anything, then the title will come up at 1:50, along with anything else we want to put at the "begining." It with then shift into the video proper as the music builds.

a. If you guys like the idea we could do it two ways. First we could construct it using scenes frome the rest of the video or random footage.

b. We could make it a cohearant section, perhaps following one charicter from childhood to death (any suggessios?) or making a mini option 2. This would fit in better with the third point.

3. As a way to bring together disparate elements we gould have a sprite that make apperances throughout the video in the trasitions. It would go from one main charicter to the next. Depending on the transision it could be quick or it could float around a bit or dart around inquisitvly. Not sure what it would look like but it would probably be small and quick, possibly soul-like. It would act as a kind of observer, watching pivitol moments in peoples lifetimes.

4. I don't think we are going to go for age continuity but it would be nice to maintain thematic continuity. So if one story shows a man who starts out happy but is drawn into the depths of dispair, the next segment should not begin with a happy person.

5. I'm making new, longer, segments that should average a little over a minute apeice. I’ll have it done in a day or so. Then we can finally start spliting this up. You might want to start thinking about possible storylines you could construct/use with your availible footage.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”