ProjeKct Life

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:26 am

pen-pen2002 wrote:Arjuna would be a great anime for this project. I haven't actually seen it yet but from the AMV's I've caught it appears to be very symbolic in a straightforward sort of way. Very pretty animation as well.

As far as general anime choices go, A lot is going to depend on the theme but "profound moments" as Jasper put it, and well drawn or even stunning visuals are definitely ideals. We're definitely looking for a higher class of anime here.
hmm I do have arjuna... or rather my brother does, so I could get my grubby hands on it.... well the first 3 DVDs anyway.
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

Shivan003
Org Profile

Post by Shivan003 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:34 am

I would like to join this project if that's still a possibility. I already did a little bit of editting to the KK-LL segment using Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. If you want I can upload it to my studio's server and show you, just msg me on AIM. My sn is: NSX003 Thanks.

taeli
Org Profile

Post by taeli » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:00 pm

I really like section E, 1:51-2:56. In my head it makes nices images with the scenery of I Can Hear the Sea (Ocean Waves). Which is a chilled out Ghibli reminiscent romance. While some of the characters animation isn't as detailed as some of the other later Ghiblis, the backgrounds are beautifully drawn with lots of wide angle (?) shots and pretty pretty colours! ^_^ There isn't any supernatural in this film either - and all the locations are based on real locations in Japan.

I'd love to be allowed to do this, even if admittedly I lack both the editing skills and dedication of a certain few editors here already - :roll:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:17 pm

To both of you - hey, sure, if you can do something, and have an idea for a segment already, I think that could be good.

Heh, I think the best idea is to wait for pen-pen to start assigning tracks. I'm still up for that one I mentioned from the beginning, but I won't know whether I can get it done like I hoped to until I try...
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:55 pm

Sorry this has taken so long. I’ve had some “real life” stuff to deal with that’s left me a bit shaken but without further ado: the plan.

Option 1: Wasteland style abstraction.

For this route we concentrate on representing the music visually and maintaining high levels of variety. Lots of movement and color, very little character and plot elements. Segments will be short and distinctive.

Pros:
Much easier to do, very little planning required. May require less cognitive attention and therefore be easier to watch. Very few limitations on source beyond aesthetic concerns.

Cons:
Would be better with more editors. May seem very long. Less accessible to the average AMV viewer/more artistic.

Compare with:
DDR Project, but less effects based. Reflections of style. Actually the best comparison would probably be The Children Project but without the strong theme. (we could try for a theme, but it might get repetitive.)

Option 2: ProjeKct Life

One of the older names for this project gave me an idea. It is the exact opposite of option 1, instead of visuals driven it is story based and character driven. I thought long and hard about possible plots that could encompass a song this large and I only came up with one. Instead of picking scenes that embody “life” we pick scenes that show a life. We construct a plot from an episodic account of a lifetime.

For example:

Beginning: Infantile happiness.
0:40: childhood trauma
1:03 first crush
1:26 heatbreak
1:52: ????? Slow build up.
2:59: Goal/mission/ideal
4:15 ?????
4:48: Chaos. Upheaval. Doubt.
5:40 Anger, betrayal.
6:29: character 1 (I will elaborate on this later)
7:08: character 2
7:28: character 3
7:49: mediation/character 4
8:20 anything goes, there’s a lot we could put here.
10:08 True Love/major success
12:50 child stolen/anger (the piano breaks could be flashbacks)
etc.

Pros:
More viewable, could end up being something spectacular. Can be done with any number of editors. Several ideas could be used even if the option is scraped, see bold entries.

Cons:
More restrictive, more communication, more planning, might fail outright, less pretty, harder editing, longer sections, etc, etc, etc.

Compare to:
Nothing I’ve ever seen or heard of. (that may be the biggest pro right there.)

What do you guys think?
Last edited by pen-pen2002 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

greenjinjo
Org Profile

Post by greenjinjo » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Heh, I'm going to sit the fence and say either option sounds awesome. The first option would definitely be simpler to orchestrate, but as you say, if you/we/whatever could pull off the second option, it could really be extraordinary.
godix wrote:Free sausage. No conditions. No tricks. To the best of my ability I will give anyone a sausage on anything they ask for. I'm not kidding here, I'll do as many sausage as I can.
Check out my deviantART!

Toji Fujawara
Org Profile

Post by Toji Fujawara » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:27 pm

greenjinjo wrote:Heh, I'm going to sit the fence and say either option sounds awesome. The first option would definitely be simpler to orchestrate, but as you say, if you/we/whatever could pull off the second option, it could really be extraordinary.
i agree with this. Although i would say that if the second option could be pulled off it would be one of the best projects out there to date....Id love to see it done but im up for just about anything. So i leave the choice up to you.
"Chewing gum is really gross, Chewing gum i hate the most"-Willy Wonka (Jonny Depp)

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:19 pm

Hmm, while I'm honored to be referred to in #1...

...I'm not going to put in my final vote just yet, but I'm leaning to #2, because #2 is closer to what I always hoped a multi-editor project might achieve conceptually, and thus far not one of them hasn't. I wouldn't doubt for a second that #1 is tons easier to organize, but if #2 is feasible, it should be done.

As my favorite musician might have put it - we need to know the distance between the possible and the actual here, and understand the price involved in closing this distance.
#2 is possible, but we'll need to work out what will be involved.

And then again... considering
My Favorite Section wrote:8:20 anything goes, there’s a lot we could put here.
^Looks like if I do decide to go with it, there won't be much difference between #1 and #2.
But I could do at least one of the concept-heavy parts, too :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Org Profile

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:24 pm

uhhh, just to say, i am highly interested in this project, and both of the ideas sound awesome, but i think the second one does sound the best...

however, it might not be quite feasible, possible yes, but how much effort would it take to orchestrate something like that with the somewhat lackadaisical (sp?) attitude of some editors?

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:44 pm

Pen-pen, when you first mentioned "Project: Life" in the other thread, I immediately thought of an idea similar to that of your option 2 now. At first it seemed like a brilliant idea, but the more I thought about it, the more infeasible it became. It would be difficult to show a single life with multiple animes (we obviously cannot use a single anime), and the different sections would lack cohesion. We would have to keep the "life" to one person's point of view. The segments could require multiple do-overs in order to have them welded together properly.

A remedy would be to NOT limit ourselves to just one life. That is, depict the lives of different characters throughout the segments, but have the characters in one segment be older than the ones in the previous segment. This still would require a lot of planning, but gives us greater freedom in scene selection and lets us reach far beyond the scope of "Real Life" animes.

I wouldn't disregard option 1 just yet, as the principal con that you mentioned for it (that we would need lots of editors) does not really need to apply. However, I would suggest that we step away from total abstractions and incorporate a bit of option 2 into the concept. We could have a multi-editor AMV with 2-4 minute (or however long) segments that depict the trials of Life. This is just like my suggestion to option 2 above except that the segments do not have to conform to the "age order." Each section would tell a mini-story. The biggest pro for this idea is that we get even more freedom to choose scenes that are truly profound and impacting, instead of having to edit a progressive rock song to say, a kid chasing after a moving van that has his little girlfriend in it.

This could use a lot more opinions, but these are my ideas for now...

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”