Search Tools Revised

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:42 am

its really nice, it gives me a chance to find videos i would probably never find just searching for them, although i have a reasonable amount of the ones recommended. if nothing else, i like the fact that its more personalized than just the new downloads page so that its more likely to give me something i want to see. i look forward to the addition of this to the site after its complete.

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:50 pm

Coffee 54 wrote:Ok, so far, so good with the suggestion query. I've already pulled three or four gems I probably wouldn't have run across on my own. :)
My sediments exactly.

Good Job Phade, this definatly gives a whole new feel to rating videos.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:12 am

pen-pen2002 wrote:
Coffee 54 wrote:Ok, so far, so good with the suggestion query. I've already pulled three or four gems I probably wouldn't have run across on my own. :)
My sediments exactly.
Please tell me that was intentional. :P
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Poiple Weezard
Org Profile

Post by Poiple Weezard » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:43 pm

Well, its giving me more positive results than any other method that I've taken towards choosing what to watch next (top rated on the weekly or overall star scales, links from the forum, browsing other vids by creators I admire), but still not much more than average.

Of course having as many local downloads as I do may put a damper on it finding really good vids, if there are many remaining.

Thanks for the new tool for me to use, I hope it doesn't slow down the servers too much.

KaneDragon
Org Profile

Post by KaneDragon » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:24 pm

This is a great feature. I really like the idea of the site "learning" and adapting to my tastes. All the videos have a ton of hits... are the less viewed being shunned, or does the count rise as a result of the list?...

I just rated one of the top five on the list as a "1", and I'm serious about my ratings, but oh, well...

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:53 pm

KaneDragon wrote:This is a great feature. I really like the idea of the site "learning" and adapting to my tastes. All the videos have a ton of hits... are the less viewed being shunned, or does the count rise as a result of the list?...
One of the side-effects of the scoring method is that videos with more star ratings get rated higher.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

Lord Null
Org Profile

Minor Glitch

Post by Lord Null » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:43 am

Let me start by saying I'm quite enjoying the new 'suggestion query' feature. As I'm not a fan of hunt and peck type downloading, this will signifigantly increase my viewings. Already it has made some fine recomendations.

I have, however, found a glitch. Though this probobly isn't a big concern right now, this list does not display properly using Safari (I'm running version 1.2.3 on Mac OS 10.3.5). It displays properly in Internet Explorer.

A minor qualm at this point, I'm just glad it exists at this point :) .

KaneDragon
Org Profile

Post by KaneDragon » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:11 am

And just what exactly do the two "Methods" do differently? :?:

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:42 am

Star ratings = (well nigh) instant, anonymous feedback, but no comments or anything

Opinions = detailed scoring and comments allow the reviewer to actually go into what s/he liked and didn't like, but they're harder to get
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:45 pm

sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but ive noticed lately that its been recommending a lot of videos that i really enjoyed, gave a rating too, and has been over a week, and i still get suggestions for that video that is available only locally. it doesnt register in the "my downloads" page either, so i was wondering if there was a glitch, or ive managed to confuse it with so many pages open of different videos, or if anyone else can give a suggestion on why lately my local downloads seem to appear when they choose to in the my downloads page.

Return to “Site Announcements”