advice for project coordinators

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:50 am

rose4emily covered most of the basics. Having a 2nd in command is a good idea as well, and makes it much easier to keep an eye on what's going on, who owes parts, etc. It also gives you someone to toss ideas back and forth with when it comes down to crunch time (transitions, etc). And of course, if you're frustrated about the state of the project (people not getting their segments in on time, quality sucking, technical woes, etc), it's nice to have someone who will listen to you rant and rave for a while. Of course, I was naive and ran TCP pretty much solo, but I had a pretty cooperative group who helped out a lot. Still wouldn't have minded an XO, though.

Also, <i>enjoy</i> it. Relish it. Running an MEP shouldn't be a chore or a job, it should be an experience. You're bringing together several talented people and the collective result of their talents will be something that hundreds and thousands of people will enjoy. I still think it's incredible how many people have seen TCP so far and that people still leave opinions about how much they think it rocks. I value my participation in the multi-editor projects I've been in as much (if not more than) I value my own videos, because nobody can deny that they're a step above everything else, and that should be true for everyone, both organizers and participants.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:41 pm

Thank you all for your responses, hopefully this thread will help more than just me.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:00 pm

godix wrote:Thank you all for your responses, hopefully this thread will help more than just me.
:shock: More than you know...
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

WilLoW :--)
Org Profile

Post by WilLoW :--) » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:11 am

I agree with JCD and MJ (and the others as well, all I've read was exactly what we've encountered with animix), and I want to emphasize on this:
The most difficult part is managing the participants.
It is impossible not to have dropouts (and most people who drop out won't warn you), or people who didn't read the guidelines, .

Therefore I think it is very important to keep contact with everyone (as Otohiko said, be active and Vocal) and make sure as often as possible that everything's going well.

Also, if there are technical requirements or deadlines, I think the coordinator has to be strict (which I was not, actually) or the quality of the final product will suffer.

The technical things behind this is stuff we can learn by ourselves when making AMVs, except the "online infrastructure" mentionned by Otohiko.
Obviously it is also important to give technical guidelines to the participants if you don't want to play too much with AVISynth afterwards...

Feria
Org Profile

Post by Feria » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:04 am

pen-pen2002 wrote:You forgot really really long posts. :wink:

It's like a mini-guide...

Thanks for the advice Rose.
It is like a mini guide... maybe it would be worth considering stickying? for anybody new with multi-editor projects. Or people with any ideas on how to keep things going successfully.
The very thing that I am trying to prove to not exist is the very thing holding me back...

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:43 pm

hmm On that note, I think it would be nice to combine all of the suggestions and guidelines to a fresh new post as the first post, and stickying that. Well It would be neater anyway, and easier to follow than reading an entire thread.

just a thought.
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:59 am

I figure this is the best place to post this...

If anyone has a project, and they need a spot filled, contact me and there is a 60% chance that i will want the spot!

this goes for all project co-ordinators..
Last edited by AMV_4000 on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonydjsnmix
Org Profile

Post by Sonydjsnmix » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:02 pm

oopps wrong place to post ignore me

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:16 pm

Lessons learned from VG3:

1. GET DONE BY THE DEADLINE AND DO NOT PUSH IT

2. If one of the editors is in a bad situation and has not started yet (like 1 day before the deadline), kick him/her out. Do not let them begin capturing their footage 1 hour before the deadline -_-;;... unless it's a very important track... then you're screwed.

3. If you want the project shown at a con, always test it out on a tv via tv out card/mpeg2 card/authored dvd to see title safe areas, interlacing, and field orders.

4. Be prepared to fix any and every problem. An editor gets you a good video the day of the deadline and barely has time to fix it since he/she is going away for a few days/weeks later and it has small field order and audio problems and is a very important video to the project... make sure you know how to fix those.

5. Make sure you prepare materials for editors if needed. Not every editor will have access to stuff you need for the project.

6. Keep in good contact terms with the editors. Harassing them every minute of the day is annoying but when the deadline is looming near, it's more acceptable. :twisted:

7. Make sure your editors adhere to the quality standards of the project. Don't be afraid to give and take constructive criticism and suggestions. You don't want one bad video in a group of very good ones. Push your editors to make the best tracks they can make.

8. Only hire people you feel are trustworthy for the project. Make sure you look at their past videos to see if they will provide good work for your project.

9. Set a reasonable deadline allowing time to fix problems that happen after. Make sure this goes with rule #1 :)

I'll add more later..
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:34 pm

Projects with fixed Audio mixes are a pain in the ass because you have to have all of the tracks filled, if your project is like VG3 or amv hell it dosnt have to have all of the tracks to work, it just needs any tracks... so if your planning a project remember that mixing the audio beforehand means you have to have all of the tracks filled.. good luck!

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”