To Burn, Or Not To Burn (@ AWA, that is)

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Red Wolf
Org Profile

To Burn, Or Not To Burn (@ AWA, that is)

Post by Red Wolf » Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:08 pm

I have a large stockpile of CD-Rs that, with paper sleeves, costs me less than 1¢ each to burn. I'm going to AWA in late September and I'll be passing out CDs of my two AMVs which will take up 85MB out of 700MB on the CDs. To me that 615MB of wasted space on the CD is just that, wasted. While burning large amounts of the CDs would go faster I would rather share my fortune of finding some super cheap (and yet high quality) CDs.

Are there any suggestions on a good, pro AMV use for the extra room on the CDs? Any creators out there who can't make it to AMV but would like a AMV or two passed out? Any hard to download AMVs that anyone would like to get on CD?

FYI:

- 50 pack of Philips CD-R 40x 700MB/80 minute - $0.89 after rebates
- 100 pack of Imation CD-R 40x 700MB/80 minute - $5.70 after rebates
- I can also get a 50 pack of paper CD sleeves for $2.40; $7.20 for 150 sleeves (working for an Apple reseller rocks)
- I have a 4x burned built into my laptop and I can borrow a 32x FireWire burner from work over a weekend or two for mass producion. What can I say, I'm a geek.

anneke
Org Profile

Hay

Post by anneke » Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:12 pm

I have no web hosting, and am about the most under exposed AMV creator there is. (Between technical diffeculties and Mail problems, sigh...)

If you would like to fill up some of that space, feel free to put my videos on your CD. I can be found in chat in the evenings. Which is one way to get them, the other is I can send you a CD of my vids.

Anneke

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:16 pm

I'd suggest that you reencode your videos at high bitrates and at high resolution. At 720x480 and DVD-quality bitrates, your videos could easily be 150MB each - filling up half a CD, and not seeming like such a waste of space. :-)

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:34 pm

I guess I could look into a large file size for my AMVs. I was leaning toward their current MPEG-1 format since it's still good quality and someone can store a 45MB file on their hard drive a lot easier than a 150MB file (or am I the only nut who stores his AMV collection on hard drive?).

I certainly wouldn't mind helping the digitally impaired (I was one less than a year ago).

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:07 pm

People could easily watch the videos off of your CD. ;-)

Return to “Anime Conventions”