Dance Dance Revolution Projects: Info

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Dance Dance Revolution Projects: Info

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:13 am

The DDR Megamix Projects were created for Anime Weekend Atlanta 7, 8, 9 and 10.

Project 1 - DDR 3rd Mix
Project 2 - DDR 2nd Mix
Project 3 - DDR 4th Mix
Project 4 - DDR 5th Mix

5th mix was the last of the DDR projects. The original project was conceptualised by Brad Demoss and organised by Brad Demoss, Hsien Lee and Patrick Bohnet.

Upon completion of Project 4 it was decided that because it was getting more difficult every year to have editors produce tracks for the project that it was the ideal time to quit (whilst we were ahead). Interest was waining amongst the regular editors and there was a risk that the DDR may fail to be completed in the following year.

Creators

The old DDR website has a list of creators and will hopefully soon be updated with the final creator list for DDR4 (as of sept 30th 2004 this list is not finalised).

Availability

All 4 projects are currently undergoing a mastering process. New cd-sized xvid versions of all 4 projects are being made (starting with the last project). These will be torrented and potenitally permanently hosted from AnimeMusicVideos.org. The final project is going through a testing phase for mastering so don't expect a final encode for a few weeks.

DVDs of the projects are also being produced. There will be screener DVDs for each project individually (these are for showing at conventions). Distribution DVDs are also going to be produced - two DVDs with two projects each. These distribution DVDs may be put online for people to download as iso files but this is as yet unconfirmed.
Last edited by AbsoluteDestiny on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Re: Dance Dance Revolution Projects: Info

Post by dokool » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:21 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Upon completion of Project 4 it was decided that because it was getting more difficult every year to have editors produce tracks for the project that it was the ideal time to quit (whilst we were ahead). Interest was waining amongst the regular editors and there was a risk that the DDR may fail to be completed in the following year.
Isn't this why there was a lottery/drawing/auction/whatever to get new editors when needed? I know I would have killed to be on DDR and many others probably felt the same way. While the system you guys used ("Previous DDR editors are guaranteed a spot and new ones can inherit tracks") definately meant that the quality of the project was *always* high, I don't see what the problem would be in bringing in new editors for a DDR5 (then again, having run the TCP only gives me a brief glimmer into the problems that the DDR organizers must have had, so I understand where they're coming from).

Then again, I can definately see the value in going out on top.

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:All 4 projects are currently undergoing a mastering process. New cd-sized xvid versions of all 4 projects are being made (starting with the last project). These will be torrented and potenitally permanently hosted from AnimeMusicVideos.org. The final project is going through a testing phase for mastering so don't expect a final encode for a few weeks.
Best news I've heard today, especially since I've only seen DDR3 and a couple individual parts for DDR2. Will the permanent hosting of DDR herald the era of permanent hosting for all MEPs?

-DOKool

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:33 am

dokool wrote:Isn't this why there was a lottery/drawing/auction/whatever to get new editors when needed?
No... that didn't matter at all. We had 22 creators drop from the project (out of 45 possible tracks. So we used 67 editors in total this year. There's only a limited amount of editors who we can trust to get their video completed and this year we exceeded that.

If that number increased next year there would be no project. Lottery or no, when seemingly reliable editors drop two weeks before the project deadline you know you're screwed - you can't take out a track from a megamix.

Although it might seem easy to people watching, in reality it was really really really hard to put this project together. Too many tracks and too many sucky songs. The editors are great but there's only ever 5 ot 10 good tracks on a mix which means everyone else has to edit to crap, hence the drop-outs (we went through 3 editors on one track alone).

It's become too unweildy and it was starting to lose its originality, so we stopped while it was still good.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:28 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:No... that didn't matter at all. We had 22 creators drop from the project (out of 45 possible tracks. So we used 67 editors in total this year.
That doesn't count people who paired up. I did a complete count at one point, and the final number was somewhere in the mid-70's.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:36 am

dokool wrote:I know I would have killed to be on DDR and many others probably felt the same way.
Right Now, I wish I had a larger anime collection. :(
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:51 am

I'd love to get dvds of all 4 projects in the near future, I'll even pay extra if you add covers, labels, inserts...

Since Expert DV no longer does the dvds, think you can have someone make a more appropiate dvd cover if you have the time? :)
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

danball1976
Org Profile

Post by danball1976 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:02 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I'd love to get dvds of all 4 projects in the near future, I'll even pay extra if you add covers, labels, inserts...

Since Expert DV no longer does the dvds, think you can have someone make a more appropiate dvd cover if you have the time? :)
I'm glad I bought the 2 DVD's of the first 3 projects before Expert DV went out of business.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:25 pm

danball1976 wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:I'd love to get dvds of all 4 projects in the near future, I'll even pay extra if you add covers, labels, inserts...

I'm glad I bought the 2 DVD's of the first 3 projects before Expert DV went out of business.
I really didn't like what I saw of the covers expertDV made since they had to avoid copyright infringement..
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:21 am

Now that I look at it, I'm very glad to have been on one of the projects.

*whew*
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

Pie Row Maniac
Org Profile

Post by Pie Row Maniac » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:34 am

All I have to say is that it was good while it lasted.

Thumbs up, soldiers.
Image Image

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”