Just say "no" to pointless threads

])ark
Org Profile

Re: Just say "no" to pointless threads

Post by ])ark » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:12 am

paizuri wrote:I'm going to lock them from now on. Really, what's the point in arguing over if Goku can beat Vash can beat Kenshin can beat Pikachu can beat your mailman if you drew him in an anime-style? The simple fact of the matter is that Batman always wins.

So what's a good thread? The anime vs western tv thread is a good thread that sparks intelligent conversation and thought. Any of the myriad random character vs. another random character is just people's personal and unwavering opinions relayed over and over and over again.

Addendum 6/20/04:
A thread will be deemed pointless on a case-by-case basis. There is no easy generalization which won't offend someone's intelligence, but these threads tend to follow a certain pattern which often goes down the path of progressive off-topicness, spam, and/or flames. My goal in trying to reduce these threads is to keep the forum more fun for the general public rather than a select few.

A few suggestions:
- Give a good intro to your thread. Don't just make a thread title and "Discuss. 8)" in your post. If you're going to present an argument/ask a question, at least provide your opinion on it from the get-go. The more interesting and involved a thread is from the beginning, the more likely that it will get replies of the same quality.
- Keep the signal-to-noise ratio down. For instance, if you're going to make a character vs. character thread, especially if the characters are from different series, try to keep your viewpoints as objective as possible. If all you're doing is basically stating that you like one character over another one, then don't bother posting. You want to present new information either by introducing it for the first time into the thread or by refuting someone else's post.
- Try to avoid making pissing contest threads such as "What anime have you seen? List them all." There is no real conversation in these threads, just lists and eventually responses like "O_O. Whoa dude, that's a LOT of anime."
- Try to avoid making threads that encourage one word posts.
hey how about u make a battle simulator about random characters fighting each other in a bloody battle.im basically talkin about a chat that rotates around this idea.then make a poll saying who will win ?jus call this battles or something.i must aggree this is pointless but take some ppls advice for a change it might help get more ppl to join this sitel.alittle excitment is always good.do u aggree w/ me?

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:16 am

The plebeians want pointless bloody entertainment!

What else is new? :roll:

May I remind you that the site is here to attract attention to its' function of presenting music videos, rather than entertaining the needs for the inherent and the delineated? In any case, if it actually lacked popularity... but if the geometric progression of uploads/downloads recently is any indication, it certainly doesn't. :?
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kajino Rei
Org Profile

Post by Kajino Rei » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:28 pm

])ark wrote:hey how about u make a battle simulator about random characters fighting each other in a bloody battle.im basically talkin about a chat that rotates around this idea.then make a poll saying who will win ?jus call this battles or something.i must aggree this is pointless but take some ppls advice for a change it might help get more ppl to join this sitel.alittle excitment is always good.do u aggree w/ me?
I do not.
This site doesn't need anymore "excitement".
Image Its fine just the way it is.
Also VS threads are mostly stupid, pointless, unwarranted and an overall detriment to smart thinking.
Yeah, smart thinking isn't common...

:roll:
:twisted: Guide to how NOT to behave in the ORG

Resident "If you're stupid, I'll kill you" Katana Wielding Woman.

RootHubController
Org Profile

Post by RootHubController » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:12 pm

Its fine just the way it is.
I disagree; and for several reasons.

First and foremost, look at General Anime. The same topics recycled over and over; mainly people (often new) who all say something along the lines of (exaggerated a little) "ZOMGLOLZWTFBBQ!!1!SHIFTone11!!11!!two have you seen (insert series/ movie/ manga here" and everyone responds exactly the same way, be it 2 weeks, 3 months, or on a thread by thread basis. This (IMHO) does not generate progessive thinking- this is in fact beating a dead horse, digging it up, and beating it again. A simple referral to previous threads will satisfy a potential posters' burning desire to see what we think of (for the umpteenth time) Kenshin/ Naruto/ Trigun, etc.

So, we have stagnation. A simple administration of appropriate authority and a firm, yet gentle hand would commonly transform the forums into something of a beehive, where people are progressive in their thought structure, comparing specific ideas, opinions, and viewpoints in a way that advances people's perspectives on the things that they like. To be specific, Moderation.

Again, In my humble opinion, passive moderation is only good in theory; the proof behind my opinion is again, General Anime. Active Moderation, where threads and potential troublemakers are carefully monitored and/ or pruned will result in a smoother running operation. no descent into stagnation, as long as there is that firm, responsible hand that keeps us on the straigfht and narrow.

Admittedly, There's always the option of "Hey, you don't like it? Leave." I've been here for a long time, and I feel a kinship for the forum. I had friends here, they've helped me through a lot. It's a disappointment to see something that has brought people from all over the world together under a common bond fall into such disrepair and bland complacency. So I continue to stick around, hoping that one day you'll all feel the same as me, and institute a proactive plan to elevate ourselves above this sick swampy pool to a level where we (or at the very least I) can be once again proud to say "I'm a part of animemusicvideos.org."

I don't have much else to say; I've got two forums to administrate and another to moderate, but I wanted to express my opinion.

Kajino Rei
Org Profile

Post by Kajino Rei » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:20 pm

Ah RootHub, couldn't you have quoted me properly? :P :wink:
I agree with you but:
])ark wrote:hey how about u make a battle simulator about random characters fighting each other in a bloody battle
Is not what I had in mind so of the practical way I went.
Plus the excitement I don't want is the "n00bish" kind you speak of.
And...
Kajino Rei wrote:Yeah, smart thinking isn't common...
I still stand by that, at least here. :roll:

Merm
Location: UAC Mars Research Facility, Olduvai Weapon of Choice: BFG 9000 Mk2
Org Profile

Post by Merm » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:03 am

Has anyone else noticed a suprising increase in pointless threads?
Please, for the love of the forum, STOP!
There are 5 friggin' locked topics on the FIRST PAGE!
Is there a way to yell at the idiots who keep putting up stupid posts. How about a strike system, you know, where we strike them for every stupid topic they put up.
The most expedient way to avert crisis is always by the indiscriminate extinction of anything that stands in your way.
"Give me the power to kill with impunity! I'll put it to damn good use!" - Black Mage

J-0080
Org Profile

Post by J-0080 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:27 am

When off-topic was still around there were far fewer pointless threads in general anime.

OMG CORRELATION :roll:
paizuri wrote:There's also no need for introductions because we're generally a friendly bunch and will welcome you with wide open arms anyway.

Kajino Rei
Org Profile

Post by Kajino Rei » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:30 pm

Merm wrote: Has anyone else noticed a suprising increase in pointless threads?
Indeed, I have.
Merm wrote:Please, for the love of the forum, STOP!
Sadly there doesn't seem to be an end to this disease...for now.
Merm wrote:There are 5 friggin' locked topics on the FIRST PAGE!
Really? By Jove it's getting worse.
Merm wrote:Is there a way to yell at the idiots who keep putting up stupid posts.
Yes, there is, my way.
Merm wrote:How about a strike system, you know, where we strike them for every stupid topic they put up.
I already do that in my own special way, as do other members. Really just use heavy sarcasm and rollies.
Guide them in your own way.
~~~
@J-0080
Really, no one had noticed.../End Sarcasm.

Good god this is hell. :roll:

Coaxel Ethereal
Org Profile

Post by Coaxel Ethereal » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:56 pm

There is no real way to keep new people from making that mistake, even if you give then a week after they first register were they cant post they still make such mistakes. Theirs even a sticky, big as hell, saying don’t do it and the still do. And if you banned ever-single noob nothing new would come to the forums. Instead of this massive homage to all things pointless that we call the "just say no" sticky, something short that wont overwhelm them might work a bit.

Kajino Rei
Org Profile

Post by Kajino Rei » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:29 pm

Personally don't believe a n00b and a newcomer to be the same thing.
Newcomers are just that new but they try to learn and see how the site works before jumping into the posting fray.
N00bs just post regardless of anything, it's like they say "Screw order and the laws of the site".
In their case I would have no problem in banning ALL of them.
We don't need that kind of activity or "new things" because it just degrades the site.
I've no problem with new people as long as they respect the rules, the people and aren't hyper fan boys/girls (OMG! I LUV BLA BLA BLA!!!!!??!?).
Yeah, that is all... :roll:

Return to “General Anime”