ProjeKct Life

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:52 pm

Well, frankly, it's not so much a question of section as a question of anime. I'm certain I could make Macross Zero work for other sections, it's really a very natural match for fast action editing. But seeing the length of the OAV, I'm sure we couldn't have more than one Zero segment in there. If you want to do one, you can have it; I've had my stab at the series already...

The bigger question at hand though whether it's good enough for us to just go with fast flying action there... It's certainly a natural match for the speed of the music, but I'm still unsure how coherently-themed Pen-Pen wants this to be. On the other hand, you could probably take some interesting departures in Macross Zero to warrant it being something other than just explosions and such :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:10 pm

I'm gonna do this one more time....

[rest of post, once again, removed for clarity]
badmartialarts wrote:....Anime I own...Brigadoon might fit Q to S. It has this surreal artistry to it that might capture that section pretty well...
So no big explosions. I was going off a listen of the song and thinking about the shaman-looking lady in Macross Zero. But if *I* were to make this video, using the section from Q to S, right now, it would be Brigadoon. (probably with lots of interesting coloful thingies floating around, like a medicine quest but more pastel).

Well, actually, Brigadoon has some big explosions too.......:o

Just for you, Señor....

:roll:

And for me, my prefered....

:shock:
Life's short.
eBayhard.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:19 pm

I got your post the first time, pretty much, don't worry :lol:

It's just that there's a natural amount of 'maybes' going around this project at the moment, and I'm trying not to step onto other people's toes too much - hey, we need more involvement in the project, and I'll be in it one way or another - so may as well try and be considerate to other potential entrants and not claim their suggestions for my source right off the bat :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:24 pm

Nah, it's okay.

I was just throwing out a idea that popped into mind. Since mostly the only thing that was going through my mind before was the Black Heaven stock footage guitar playing sequences. Q-S was the first section I saw something different for and immediately tuned in on and gave some thought.

I heard the music, I thought 'tribal rhythm, dancing', I saw the lady from Macross Zero. I thought about the girls in Neo Ranga. I saw the flying lemonade thingies in Brigadoon. Then I posted. :)
Life's short.
eBayhard.

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:30 pm

To answer some questions (in aproximate order):

Considering the amount of planing to be done before the editing even starts and the fact that I have no real reason to rush this, I don't think you'll have to worry about a december deadline overly much.

As far as FPS go, 24 would be better for compression but I hear 29 is standard for fast action videos and there are some pretty intricate sections of the song. What do you more action oriented editors think?

As for theme, it's still a bit up in the air. Partially it depends on how many editors and, more importantly, sources, we end up with. seeing the fluidity of the piece we might decide to deliberitally avoid a theme.

Of course the 8-10 section section serves as the proverbial instumental break in the song so it will probly be markedly different from the rest of the piece if all goes well. So, that's even more uncertain.

Speaking of which this is an experimental group, so if anyone has some non-standerd editing ideas feel free to throw them out. I plan on doing something with animation or 3d modeling for an intro in A.

Funny how all those answers were the same length. :shock:

.... Flying lemonade thingies? ...Ok... Surreal is good. :P

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:38 pm

pen-pen2002 wrote: As far as FPS go, 24 would be better for compression but I hear 29 is standard for fast action videos and there are some pretty intricate sections of the song. What do you more action oriented editors think?
Well, the reason I'm for 24 is that I've never really tried working with 29, and as you rightly suspect, I'm lazy and reluctant to learn the potential intricacies involved in such a switch :roll:

I've never had problems doing action-type things in 24, and frankly (throw stuff at me for saying this, if you disagree), I've never been able to tell the difference between videos in 24 and 29, besides the size.

But anyway, I'd leave that up to the experts...

Toji Fujawara
Org Profile

Post by Toji Fujawara » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:51 pm

Since there is no deadline before december....im so in...

ill be here in a little bit and ill be on aim for most of the week (after wensday) so i should be easy to get in touch with.
"Chewing gum is really gross, Chewing gum i hate the most"-Willy Wonka (Jonny Depp)

rose4emily
Org Profile

Post by rose4emily » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:57 pm

According to my Cinemetography-major and Animation-major roommates, the whole framerate thing is tied to the workings of the old electromechanical systems used for capturing and presenting them. Film is done at 24 FPS because that was considered to be an optimal threshold point for smooth motion without wasting frames. American television is done at 29.97 FPS to reduce the interference effect that would otherwise be caused by the approximately 60Hz AC electrical power used in America, while European and Japanese television are done at 25 FPS because they use 50Hz AC for electrical power distribution. In short, the whole framerate business matters in the analog world, but is completely arbitrary in the digital world. Since 24 frames appears to be smooth enough for most people (and most animation is actually shot on twos, giving the viewer 12-15 frames per second rather than 24-30), it should be fine for any digital video project.
may seeds of dreams fall from my hands -
and by yours be pressed into the ground.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:05 pm

I'm interested, mostly in one of the more dramatic segements. I find that my editing style and methods lend themselves more to drama than actiony stuf.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:05 pm

Aha! For once, science is on the lazy guy's side :lol:

I would suggest 24 at least for size consideratioons though, if we ever hope to get it on Local (which I *think* would still be the optimal way for it getting quick and easily-accessible exposure).

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”