Second Instrumentality: Around The World in 80 Minutes

This forum is for the announcement, organisation and discussion of Multi-Editor AMV Projects.

Postby Otohiko » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:37 pm

And, oh, PS - I would LOVE to work with Suez, Bombay or Calcutta - in fact, those are probably the ones I'm primarily interested in. Suez shouldn't be a massive problem, considering it is part of the Arab world and is related to ancient Egypt. Those two have some exposure in anime. India's more of a problem for footage, but there is a lot of unused potential in Indian music. I think if we get more lenient on visual locations, I might just find some really trippy footage and make a 'far out' AMV to some Indian music :P
Otohiko

Postby Muyo_Ryu » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:46 pm

I'm really working hard on the whole Coco Lee - Inuyasha thingy, even though I do know Inuyasha doesn't fit the Hong Kong slot. I mean, the idea seemed right the time I first thought of it, but now that I watch the deal, except for the song being in cantonese ( and yes, Coco Lee is a singer, so of couse, she sings ... aka ... there are lyrics in the song ... ) lol .. theres nothing that really symbolises Hong Kong in the vid. Yet again, I'm stuck. If this doesn't work, I dunno what else I can do.

*Tranforms into Shinji*

Oh my god .. i'm alone ... in a dark room .. facing my own thoughts. GET ME OUT OF HERE !
"Who said you'll be going to hell when you die.
.... you're already living it." - Zabuza
Muyo_Ryu

Postby rogueintellectproductions » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:27 am

I know way back when (page 1 of the topic) I said I was iffy on if I could commit to the project. I'd like to say that I am no longer iffy, and I've been working on a segment for Paris, using La Noyee from the Amelie soundtrack and footage from Nadia, Kiki's Delivery Service, Atlantis, and Spirit of Wonder (along the lines of the original post). Hooray!

If you are concerned about finding footage for the various cities, please remember that rose4emily did mention that animation from all over the world is permitted, as long as one segment is predominantly anime. Example: the Triplets of Belleville (sp?). (Sadly, others escape me at the moment.)

IMHO, genre-jumping could make the project more interesting. Going from Nadia to Hellsing to Ghost in the Shell to whatever could make some really cool transitions. I'm really looking forward to the completed project.

Just my 2 cents (1.34 after taxes)
CPFuller
rogueintellectproductions

Postby Al'x » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:51 pm

Okay... even though my "AMV skillz" might not match up to a lot of the editors, I got a great idea that I want to use. Hopefully I won't be disappointing anybody by "stealing" London. :(

I am assuming there is non-Japanese animation allowed like it says in original post.

City: London
Animation: The Great Mouse Detective
Music: Sacro-Monte (by Joaquin Turina) (you haven't heard of it)

Reason for choice: The Great Mouse Detective is a great movie, and a really great showcase of London. Also, it contains great chase scenes, and my music (Sacro-Monte) is very suited to chase scenes.

The idea behind the video will be the conflict between Ratigan and Basil from the movie. I am also going to try and showcase London as much as I can (considering the idea of the project).

Coincidentally, I think Around the World in 80 Days has a chase scene in London. At least... the parody movie by the 3 Stooges does. ;)

Hopefully like Otohiko says this will pick up more when rose4emily is done that Animasia project (even though I still think the current plan is somewhat limiting to creators)
Al'x

Postby Al'x » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:35 pm

I completed editing the video... no replies in here since a week ago when I started this thing! :?

rose4emily: It didn't really turn out how I expected... I'm not sure if you would like it for this project or not. PM me or something so I can show a "rough draft" to you before I finish the video... I don't really wanne go through the hassle of refining and encoding the video and stuff if it isn't good enough to be in the project. ;)
Al'x

Postby Otohiko » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:41 pm

Oh, darn, sorry there - we're still 'headless' here, aren't we.

The instrumentality project is getting finished up though and I hope this will soon start moving somewhere, and now that there's tracks... it's good to see there's continued interest and activity even without a clear direction yet.

And yea, I think maybe a good idea would be to loosen up the guidelines for the project. I think that's what made Instrumentality so interesting, and I think it has potential to work here, at the risk of diluting the concept a bit... :roll:
Otohiko

Postby angelx03 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:56 pm

Ok, this is pretty much unofficial (and I mean unofficial), but rose4emily told me awhile ago that he might not be able to run this second instrumentality project. He mentioned that the first one REALLY took a lot of his time and resources (plus adding the amount of computer problems he had putting it together) so I don't think he wants to do it again. He also mentioned that anyone who is willing to run this project may do so.

Of course wait until rose4emily makes the official call; I'm just giving you guys the heads up (in a very unofficial matter).
ImageImage
angelx03

Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL

Postby Otohiko » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:00 pm

Oh, I'm well-aware of that. But he also said he'll still help out in particular with the FTP and such. Hell, if I get decent internet access (soon, I hope) and some competence in things important to a project (compression, putting stuff together, organization), I'll gladly take it myself. Though that's mainly conditional on my bandwith and said FTP space.
Otohiko

Postby rose4emily » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:01 am

It is most definately official: I'm looking for a new manager for this second project. I'd like to devote what little free time I have this year to making some progress in my cross-platform open-source (at least after there is source worth opening) audiovisual editing suite "Hikari" (I'm sick of open-source projects named after their commercial predecessors, or such "lame" scemes as recursive acronymns - and thought Japanese was trendier than Latin, the only other language I know any decent number of words in). That, I believe, is a better way for me to contribute to the AMV and amateur video editing community as a whole.

Then there's the little matter of how I didn't do all that great a job of directing the first project. Servers going down, parts of the project (many of them mine) being completed way behind schedule, trying to decide everything by referendum... hardly an efficient operation. This time, you should really have someone who has either a considerable degree of experience or a lot of free time, preferably both. I had neither, and am afraid that it shows in the fact that the first project is still incomplete.
may seeds of dreams fall from my hands -
and by yours be pressed into the ground.
rose4emily

Postby Al'x » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:01 pm

Is this over... ?

I kinda want to know because I have like 10 gigs of stuff on my hard drive related to this and it would be nice if I can delete it all.
Al'x

Postby Tsunami Jones » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:36 pm

Al'x wrote:Is this over... ?

That's a good question, as there's currently no one actually leading this project anymore.
Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.

Postby Otohiko » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:49 pm

Well, give me a couple of days here, and I'll let you know if my hopefully-increased bandwith will allow me to do something like this. If it does, I'll take over it provided there's enought interest and perhaps someone who'd be willing to assist with FTP space.
Otohiko

Postby Tsunami Jones » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:42 pm

That'd be cool if you did. I was looking forward to this.
Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.

Postby Otohiko » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:02 am

Well, we'll have to see - of course, it'd still be nicer if someone did it instead of me. The current difference is in whether I can scratch up enough money for better internet access. Right now I have such a low limit, I can't even download AMV's. The question now is whether I get unlimited transfer, or only 20down/10up. If the latter is the case, I don't think it would be enough to realistically keep up with managing a project. :(
Otohiko

Postby rose4emily » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:06 am

Just don't get cable. Cable sucks for trying to run a server, and here is a list of reasons why:

---

Many major Cable Internet providers (notably Comcast) have decided that running a server (even for non-commercial use) of any kind is "bandwidth abuse" and against their Terms of Service.

Because of this, many users on Cable Internet connections find that such important ports as 20, 21, 25, and 80 are all completely blocked to outgoing traffic, along with several of the higher-number ports used by some of the various non-www internet technologies such as P2P applications, media streaming services, telnet and ssh-type services, distributed file systems, and multiplayer network gaming technologies. While the non-www technologies often offer alternate ports that can go around these blocks, it's generally pretty important to run a web server on port 80 and a mail server on port 25 if you want to keep things running smoothly with a minimum of hassle.

Upload speeds are capped at about a tenth of download speeds, so you get 1.5 Mbps download bandwidth, but only 150 Kbps upload bandwidth, which is, if you do the math, only enough to serve three simultanious 56k connections, at best.

And that's the cap. Since lines are shared, peak usage times often are cause for even lower upload speeds, as well as noticable drops in download speeds - thanks to the fact that the cable companies sell far more bandwidth than they actually are able to provide.

---

I'd advise DSL for running a server, if it's available in your area, and will likely switch to DSL myself as soon as I get the chance. It also happens to be cheaper in most regions where it is offered - so I think the reduction in download speed is well worth it considering the greater upload bandwidth and degree of freedom with which it can be used.

Then there's the really fun stuff like T1 and T3. Unfortunately, you pretty much have to be a multinational corporation to affort that sort of connection - but they offer a level of reliability and consistency of speed that is unmatched by consumer broadband pipelines like cable. I have contemplated the idea of trying to run non-profit T1/T3 shares, however, and they could theoretically be both cost-effective and far more technologically attractive than individually purchased consumer broadband - but they would also have to reside within a limited geographical region to work, considering the cost of running all of the networking infrastructure. Really, such an idea would be best suited to office parks and apartment complexes inhabited primarily by students and/or professionals.

There's also the idea of root-access hosting to be expored - hosting where you have full administrative access to the particular server responsible for your files (through SSH, most likely, to remove any geographical limitations from such a service) and can thus run server-side applications and such in the same manner with which you would be able to do whatever you want with a machine in your own home - giving you the best of both worlds in terms of infratructure and flexibility of use. It would be more expensive than shared-server hosting, but shouldn't be too bad on the pricing range as server hardware is really the least of your concerns when compared with the cost of bandwidth and infrastructure. To illustrate, I purchased a 2.6GHz Athlon machine from HP to use as my server for under $500. Is is grossly overpowered as servers go, as it is capable of spitting out content at over 100 times the maximum upload rate allowed by my connection - and has done do on many occasions for file transfers behind my router. The annual fees of the only internet service available in my apartment complex - RoadRunner, are in excess of $400 (split three ways, but so is the bandwidth). Using the server at 1/100 of capacity for a single year is almost as expensive as the server itself - and most web servers could get by blissfully on hardware commonly thrown into dumpsters if no one is trying to use them as graphical workstations at the same time.

When I'm accessing my site from outside my network and all-text pages are slow to appear, I know there's something seriously wrong with how bandwidth is marketed and then regulated. 3 KiB pages are supposed to show up almost instantly, even on a 56k. Yet, somehow, they don't.
may seeds of dreams fall from my hands -
and by yours be pressed into the ground.
rose4emily

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Editor Projects